New to the forum with a dilema

Juk3B0xh3r0

Arachnopeon
Hello, just signed up a little bit ago looking for some advice and help with my Scorpion Athena. So, last year in August I purchased an Emperor Scorpion from Backwater Reptiles (I know i'm sorry.) I asked for a female and definatly got one. Here I am 11 months later, I know how 11 Scorpions. Yay me. I've been looking for good homes for when they are ready which I guess would be after they molt and start eating on their own? My plan is to buy either a few tanks like the one she is in or get a larger one. I want to giver her more space and hides on opposite sides of the tank. Just need help on trying to figure out what to do with them all. I rather they go to a good home. I would like to keep one or two but that is it.

As you can see she poses for the camera.

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
To me this looks more like an Asian forest scorpion. The claws don’t look granulated. If you need help finding homes, you can make an ad on the classifieds. I see people selling scorps once they reach 2-3i, so you shouldn’t have a problem doing that yourself.

Juk3B0xh3r0

Arachnopeon
That's what I've been looking into. I don't know enough to be able to tell the difference but the claws is all I've been looking at. I also hear Backwater Reptiles isn't the most honest or greatest place to buy from. I Been trying to figure it out. she cost me about 40 bucks. so I expect them to be relabeling stuff. 2 terrariums I bought from them were broken.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Asian forest scorpions are often sold as emperor scorpions. Also backwater reptiles has been known to sell wrongly sexed animals, sick animals as well as fake their reviews. If I remember correctly they were banned from here because of that. True emperor scorpions have granulated claws, more rounded claws too I think and the stinger is more of a red color.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Was that 40 bucks before shipping? That seems a bit much for an AFS if that is what you have. Locally they are 20 dollars retail for what I reckon to be sub-adults.

Off topic, but has anybody ever had somebody act offended when you inform them of Black water reptiles reputation, after they have already bought something from them? In two individual cases, I got kind of an icy response. "Well, I did not have a problem!".

Yeah, that isn't the point. They don't have a good reputation for a reason. Nobody says that they NEVER have satisfied customers, but the number of dissatisfied ones speaks volumes. I shrug and tell them to check out reviews.

Juk3B0xh3r0

Arachnopeon
That's what I read about them as well, and after I bought this one and had 2 bad tanks from them I read about BR's reviews. I was unsure if it was a female or not. I got my answer for sure. If kept in the same tank, would they breed with each other and would that cause issues? If so I'd keep them separate. I don't want to breed them. this is too many for me but i'm not 100% sure how to sex them correctly. but I would like to have a few tanks with 2 in them vs 10 tanks with one. So far only one person wants on that i'm aware of in my area. i'm not even sure how to ship them but can find out. just would rather keep them local incase people have an issue. depending on what happens I may do as you said and use the classified section. Joined to get help and to learn more about them. I was never an enthusiasts like some of you guys. I just really like Scorpions and wanted an Emp. Maybe i'll get another tank and find a reputable person to get an Emp from. I appreciate all the help. Sorry if I ramble too much. got thrown off guard yesterday with the little ones.

Juk3B0xh3r0

Arachnopeon
Was that 40 bucks before shipping? That seems a bit much for an AFS if that is what you have. Locally they are 20 dollars retail for what I reckon to be sub-adults.

Off topic, but has anybody ever had somebody act offended when you inform them of Black water reptiles reputation, after they have already bought something from them? In two individual cases, I got kind of an icy response. "Well, I did not have a problem!".

Yeah, that isn't the point. They don't have a good reputation for a reason. Nobody says that they NEVER have satisfied customers, but the number of dissatisfied ones speaks volumes. I shrug and tell them to check out reviews.
I ended up paying I think 60 for the scorpion and the tank/hide/water bowl/ and a little tree. turned me off to them when the first tank was broken, the second was the wrong size and broken and I just asked for a refund.

I don't know too many people that buy reptiles or exotic pets like that. My wife has 2 guinea pigs and I have a small beardie. but that's about it. most of our pets are rescues. I rather not deal with them at all anymore.

Juk3B0xh3r0

Arachnopeon
Another question, I feeder her a large cricket about every 3 days. I've seen people feeding theirs 2 or 3 crickets at a time. should I feed her more? I was worried about her being overrun by too many uneaten crickets. I'm switching her and toothless over to Dubia roaches today. I keep reading they're better than crickets and less "vicious" when it comes to each other.

Juk3B0xh3r0

Arachnopeon
Looks like she has 9 babies on her back from what i can tell. Some places say they can have 15 to 20 some less.... is this about normal or is there a chance she ate a few? She ate about 3 days before i noticed the little ones.

Juk3B0xh3r0

Arachnopeon
Update: she hasnt eaten any babies. 3 are dead already and 2 are stuck to her back. looks like the molt on their tail isnt completly seperated. I got 4 out of her tank. On has molt on its tail, and legs are on its back. (Broken?) I removed 3 that were off her back n look like they will be fine. Im hoping the other 2 will come off soon so i can remove them. I didnt want to have her freaking out n hurt em. Any help would be appreciated. Going to find pin heads for them in a bit

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Another question, I feeder her a large cricket about every 3 days. I've seen people feeding theirs 2 or 3 crickets at a time. should I feed her more? I was worried about her being overrun by too many uneaten crickets. I'm switching her and toothless over to Dubia roaches today. I keep reading they're better than crickets and less "vicious" when it comes to each other.
Feed one cricket a week, or every other week. You're feeding too often with that schedule.

Also, you have a Heterometrus spp. , not a Pandinus spp.