1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Tarantulas!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Daniel266jz, Oct 26, 2017.

1. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello I am very new to the Tarantula hobby, I have just ordered a juvenile B. Albopilosum. I have read lots of care sheets on the internet but it would be great if someone with experience would please be able to tell me how often should I feed him/her and do they require humidity? Also will I need to spray water so they can drink? I really appreciate someone's feedback.

Many thanks.

2. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

Also I have bought some coco fibre. A lady at the pet store said I don't need to put water with it. Just to break it off... Does this sound ok?

3. I cant answer your first question because i just started owning my first tarantula also but Yes the coco fiber breaks apart with water then you dry it, should give instructions on the package if it was from a local pet store. They also need to know the size of your new tarantula to be able to answer accurately.

4. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

How big is your new Brachypelma albopilosum?

Feeding schedule will depend on the size of the tarantula and the size of the meal. I feed slings (<1.5") a small mealworm or baby dubia roach about twice a week. Smaller juveniles get fed about once a week. Large juveniles and adults once every 1-2 weeks.

There is no need to measure humidity.

You shouldn't mist the enclosure, but you should provide a water dish. (You don't need to put a sponge or anything else in the water dish to prevent drowning. Tarantulas won't drown.) The dish should be wide enough that the tarantula can submerge its whole face in the water; that's how they like to drink.
    [​IMG]
    This dish is wider than it needs to be, but that's OK.

Slings should be given slightly damp substrate, as they haven't developed the waxy layer on their cuticle that prevents them from losing moisture through it. To moisten the substrate, overflow the water dish a bit or dribble some water into the substrate. It should never be sopping wet, just slightly damp.

• Like Like x 2
  6. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

Really appreciate your replies. Thank you as its very helpful being new to the hobby.

7. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

I will post a picture of my B. Albo so you can its size :D

8. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

5E2EED48-9189-45A0-BE5E-0FAE296C70EA.jpeg My B. Albo and there home :) 5E2EED48-9189-45A0-BE5E-0FAE296C70EA.jpeg

9. Ungoliant

You can remove the rocks from her water dish. (She won't drown.)

P.S. I'm not saying it's female. I just refer to spiders as female by default unless I know they're male.

10. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon

I thought they were there to stop the dish from being tipped lol.

11. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Lol she's either a bit of a moron, or she wants you back soon to buy more.

Put it in a bucket of water, bout 1/3 of a gallon. Will dissolve and give you much more sub.

I imagine overflowing the dish would actually cause the substrate to expand.

12. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

Appreciate the info from everyone :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ungoliant

Ha, like a couple of pebbles are going to stop a dish flipper! :D

14. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

Would anyone please know if Tarantulas would survive in a garage with a decent set up? For example the correct ambient temperature with a decent wooden box or a TV unit? heat pad, polystyrene for insulation, heat lamp, thermostat etc. I have spoken to a few different people about this and they have said it should work! I am trying to get as much info as possible so I can get everything right.

I look forward to responses. Many thanks :)

15. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Well, I have a nice 'collection' of spiders (including L.rufescens) living on my garages and cellar without issues. When I feel the need I even act as a wise ruler, and throw in those 'brick holes-web' few of my extra crickets.

Besides, once I was honoured enough to meet a couple of Italian mans on their 40/50 that lived (due to a slightly series of misunderstanding with their wifes) into a garage as well, and they managed to survive pretty well. Yeah, they were a bit disillusioned and started to love songs like '(I Just) Died In Your Arms' and such, but aside this, they were fine and with a decent yet spartan, set up.

I don't see why a Theraphosidae shouldn't :)

:troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Thekla

Thekla Arachnopeon Active Member

Just to be clear, you want to leave your T in the garage? During the winter? :confused::cold: Why wouldn't you take her inside, where she'll be as comfortably warm as you'll be?

17. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

For those wondering why I am asking is because my wife is terrified of spiders lol! My B. Albo is hidden in a cupboard at the moment :playful: She said I may be able to have a set up in the garage (that way I can get more) its not ideal but its better than nothing!

18. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

Helpful stuff :) Made me giggle as well

• Love Love x 1
  19. stoney

stoney Arachnopeon

I certainly prefer not to do that but like I said with my wife not keen on the idea of having them in our home, the garage may be my only option. I hear what you're saying though with the winter etc. It would be trial and error... If I can get that ambient temperature right then I can go from there.

20. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Well, I love to joke my man, eh eh :)

--

But (now seriously :angelic:) there's truth in what I've said -- I mean about the spiders, not of my 'collection', living on my garages and cellar.

Thing is, I live in Lombardy, Italy. While colder (at least compared to the rest of the boot where, in the Southern part, is basically North Africa weather) isn't colder like UK.

I'm not sure about this. I mean, first thing first, are we talking about a no car/s garage?
    Because you don't want cars in/out, frankly. The exhaust pipe smoke (not even sure if I'm using the right term now in English... sorry) well... I think isn't exactly what a Theraphosidae need.

Again, we live in different weather nations, but my garages are pretty (temperature talking) comfy in Winter so yes, I think that on mines a 'no so particular requirement and pretty hardy' adult Theraphosidae could live inside one.

I've heard on Italian (arachnids) forum in the past about other people with a same concern of yours (not so particular happy fiance, wife/s, parents in case of young kids etc more or less similar situations) relying on garage and everything turned fine with good protection etc but those weren't used for cars garages :writer:

I suggest to let your wife read this forum, also. You never know, my man, you never know. Maybe eventually she will fall in love with the pics, the posts (especially Chris LXXIX ones) and... change her mind :pompous: