New to tarantulas

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Kelly Swift is a very reputable and so is Fear Not Tarantulas. Either are a good choice for getting your first T.
Who some other reputable sources to purchase slings from guy?
From my personal experience so far - Swift is great, Jamie is great, Paul at petcenter.info is great. Have heard great things about fear not, tarantula canada, ken the bug guy, and never underestimate a small local breeder if you can find one.

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
From my personal experience so far - Swift is great, Jamie is great, Paul at petcenter.info is great. Have heard great things about fear not, tarantula canada, ken the bug guy, and never underestimate a small local breeder if you can find one.
The problem is trying to find a small local breeder I've been trying with no avail. Like I said in previous posts, in the bay area the aquaria hobby is huge.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
The problem is trying to find a small local breeder I've been trying with no avail. Like I said in previous posts, in the bay area the aquaria hobby is huge.
Hey man, I live in upper michigan. Tarantula Canada and Arachnophiliacs are my closest breeders, and I'm pretty much a full state away from any shows...as far as I know anyway.

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
That's when you start on forums to try and get some meeting going and such.

But tarantula canada ships cross inter country lines? Aren't there permits required for that?

I'm so used to the aquaria trade and keeping with with the laws and local by laws, I know that there two completely different hobbies, but laws and by laws are set for live species in a general capacity the majority of the time.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
That's when you start on forums to try and get some meeting going and such.

But tarantula canada ships cross inter country lines? Aren't there permits required for that?

I'm so used to the aquaria trade and keeping with with the laws and local by laws, I know that there two completely different hobbies, but laws and by laws are set for live species in a general capacity the majority of the time.
Depends on species for CITES. Can't order Brachypelmas for example without doing a fish and wildlife inspection at a port city, so they're out of the question. A lot of species are not regulated though.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I am very lucky to have at least 3 reputable sellers/breeders within an hour of me.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Who are some other reputable sources to purchase slings from?
Swift Invertebrates and Ken the Bug Guy are my two favorites. Also Jamie's Tarantulas and the others that people have mentioned in this thread.

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
Depends on species for CITES. Can't order Brachypelmas for example without doing a fish and wildlife inspection at a port city, so they're out of the question. A lot of species are not regulated though.
I just got in contact with tarantula canada. Just as i thought its the same as within any other hobby. this is what they said.

Thank you for contacting us at Tarantula Canada.

The US Fish and Wild Life regulations for shipments to the USA also apply to the animals we sell. The cost of an import is often more that the value of the specimens (except for very large orders), so for a single specimen, you would do better to check with some dealers in the USA

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
I got on the phone with Kelly a few weeks ago, and we chatted for about half an hour. The weather is finally decent to have placed my order. I got a versi sling, and Mexican red rump.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I got on the phone with Kelly a few weeks ago, and we chatted for about half an hour. The weather is finally decent to have placed my order. I got a versi sling, and Mexican red rump.
Fun! We demand photos once they are set up. :)

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
Photos will come soon enough. He has set me up with the versi container which will last me a few molts, the red rump I'm going to keep in a deli container untill it's big enough to rehousing as well.

Some suggestions on mature terrarium would be welcome. I've been looking into Jaimes terrariums, but still undecided

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jamie's terrariums look awesome, but they are a bit pricey. I'm going to buy some plexiglass and the necessary tools so I can build them myself. This is an option if you are decent at making stuff.

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
I used to breed beta plakats a few years back. Had them imported from Thailand and Taiwan. Set the spawn up in a 54 gallon tank and built several acrylic breeding containers to sit inside the tank itself so I'm accustomed to building did enclosures. But this time around just getting into tarantulas ide rather purchase my enclosures

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
There's also an 8 year old child in the house, my girlfriends little sister. So I would rather have something I can lock as well. I don't trust her sneaky little hands

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
how familiar are you on Avicularia care?
EDIT: never mind, forgot i ever responded to this thread.

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty confident, or I wouldn't have risked purchasing a versi. I am extremely excited. With everyone's help here and Kelly's, this is going to be an extremely satisfying and gambling experience to embark on.