New to tarantulas... general questions!

CrazedJoshua

Arachnopeon
Hello! I’ve sort of been in and out of wanting a tarantula for the passed year now. A pet store near me now has pink toe tarantulas in, and I’m interested, but a bit hesitant. I’m not hesitant because of my fear of spiders, as somehow my brain doesn’t count tarantulas as spiders, but hesitant because of their care. I know they’re arboreal, need humidity, normal room temperature, water, and insects, but overall how much care do they really need? I will be moving out in a few years, and am already planning on taking my dog, my 2 geckos, and my young betta. I currently have 2 older guinea pigs and a tropical community fish tank, but I doubt either will be with me in a few years :/. My main question is - do they require a lot of attentive care? Something that’s on the same level as my betta or less would be fine, but another gecko in terms of care? Probably not. Also, I have some stupid questions as well! I’ll ask them if I like the answer to this first question. Thanks for the help!

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
By pink toe do you mean Avicularia? Always good to know the scientific name on here. They don't need a lot of attentive care, a tarantula would rather see as little of you as possible. They don't need to be fed every day but things you do have to pay attention for include keeping water topped up, and ensuring the conditions (humidity, temperature and set up) are correct for your particular species of T. It's their conditions and the physical condition of the T are what you need to monitor regularly to avoid nasties like mould and mites happening. Of course you have to keep its food alive too. It's best to research the species as much as you can and really think about whether having one and moving away suit you. They are a commitment of sorts, especially if it's female.

CrazedJoshua

Arachnopeon
By pink toe do you mean Avicularia? Always good to know the scientific name on here. They don't need a lot of attentive care, a tarantula would rather see as little of you as possible. They don't need to be fed every day but things you do have to pay attention for include keeping water topped up, and ensuring the conditions (humidity, temperature and set up) are correct for your particular species of T. It's their conditions and the physical condition of the T are what you need to monitor regularly to avoid nasties like mould and mites happening. Of course you have to keep its food alive too. It's best to research the species as much as you can and really think about whether having one and moving away suit you. They are a commitment of sorts, especially if it's female.
Avicularia avicularia, I believe! I’m definitely not afraid of the commitment, as the geckos (and dog) I have live 15+ years. I have crickets, mealworms, and superworms on standby for my geckos. Do you know what dimensions would work best for their enclosure?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Avicularia avicularia, I believe! Do you know what dimensions would work best for their enclosure?
How much attention the require, and the size of their enclosure, really depends on their size. Spiderlings need more maintenance than adults and adults need far larger homes.
How large is this individual?

CrazedJoshua

Arachnopeon
How much attention the require, and the size of their enclosure, really depends on their size. Spiderlings need more maintenance than adults and adults need far larger homes.
How large is this individual?
I believe they're around 3-3.5 inches, including the legs.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have a few at that size - two Caribena versicolor and one Avicularia. They are much hardier at that size and don't require a lot of maintenance. I feed them one large cricket, once a week. They are in enclosures that are about 6x6x9. They need more height than floor space. They have cork bark and fake plants positioned so they can be at the top where Avics want to be. They have a large water dish that I overflow and allow to dry. They have a lot of ventilation.
They are far more work as spiderlings - 3-3.5" is a juvenile and they are less delicate at that size.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have a Crested Gecko and he requires far more attention than one tarantula.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
It is now my job in the Arachnoboards forum to provide this link to all questions Aviculara:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/

Read what @viper69 wrote, this is pretty much everything you need to know about keeping this genus. I'd recommend reading through it to get an idea of what the care would be like and to imagine if that would fit in with your life.

Do keep in mind that female tarantulas can live for a long time- even up to 20 years for some species, so consider this carefully. You would be taking on an animal that will likely live much longer than a betta and one that may not be very easy to rehome, should you need to.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I keep a few Avics in one gallon snapware containers. The thing about Avics is they like to web near the top. My favorite containers are kinda pricey, but cheaper than the acrylic enclosures, are the 8x8x12 ExoTerra Nano's. Front opening door and a screen top. Never had an issue with an arboreal and a screen lid. Avics need plenty of ventilation. I wouldn't worry about humidity. They like it a little dry as well. I usually soak the soil once a month, then let it dry out. If you see condensation on the sides or top of the enclosure, it's too wet and the ventilation is poor.
Other than that, they are super low maintenance (compared to a reptile). Feed them once a week, keep them at a mildly warm temp (low 70's) and you're pretty much set.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
do they require a lot of attentive care?
Keep it on dry substrate with a good sized water dish (no need to mist or wet the substrate, the water dish is good enough).
Give it an upright cork bark slab or branch to climb on and surround it with plenty of fake plants high up to provide cover/anchor points for webbing.

They are extremely low maintenance, feed once a week, pick out leftovers, top up the water dish as needed, that's it.

At that size they will be fine in an Exo Terra Nano Tall (8"x8"x12") enclosure or similar.

CrazedJoshua

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the informative responses! I think I may be able to get one! Of course, I'll give the idea time to sit in my mind to leave time for research, and make sure I really want one. So time for the stupid questions: if my tarantula got out, could it potentially kill my geckos or guinea pigs? Also, what are people's experiences with trying to get an apartment manager to accept a tarantula pet?

cold blood

Staff member
hesitant because of their care. I know they’re arboreal, need humidity
The way you say this makes me think you have been reading care sheets...be warned, care sheets kill tarantulas, especially Avicularia sp. This stressing of humidity is the number one reason people believe them to be difficult...because if you follow those humidity numbers they throw at you, they will be hard to keep. On top of that, one thing critical that isn't ever mentioned in care sheets is the need for their enclosures to be well ventilated. Nothing kills an avic like an over dampened and under-ventilated enclosure.

Just keep temps over 70 and under like 92 and you are fine...huge temp ranges are fine as well.

You do NOT need to measure humidity numbers or even concern yourself with humidity. Dry sub and a water dish. A vertical piece of wood, and surround the mid-top of that wood with cover (plants).

They live in trees, and even after heavy rains, the elevated areas of those trees dry out pretty quickly, what with wind and all.
Study up on ventral sexing before you select one...at 3.5", any male may very well be penultimate...which means it would mature with the next molt...this is the end of the line for a male, so picking a female in this case, would be pretty important.

if my tarantula got out, could it potentially kill my geckos or guinea pigs?
Unless the t is huge, it would not approach...it would be more likely those other critters would kill and eat the t.
As for the venom...its hard to say, they're NW, so venom isn't potent, but also each venom will give different animals differing reactions. I'd say its possible, although unlikely it would even occur.

The good news is that all escapes are a result of operator error, as they lack the opposable digits and brainpower to escape a proper home without help from a human (or cat).
what are people's experiences with trying to get an apartment manager to accept a tarantula pet?
All are different...when I moved in my landlords told me they didn't care or restrict aquarium type pets...just ones capable of causing property damage. I actually had to interview my dog...lol, but they didn't care about tarantulas....they were more concerned about the ones with fish, as a leaky aquarium can cause lots of damage.

CrazedJoshua

Arachnopeon
The way you say this makes me think you have been reading care sheets...be warned, care sheets kill tarantulas, especially Avicularia sp. This stressing of humidity is the number one reason people believe them to be difficult...because if you follow those humidity numbers they throw at you, they will be hard to keep. On top of that, one thing critical that isn't ever mentioned in care sheets is the need for their enclosures to be well ventilated. Nothing kills an avic like an over dampened and under-ventilated enclosure.

Just keep temps over 70 and under like 92 and you are fine...huge temp ranges are fine as well.

You do NOT need to measure humidity numbers or even concern yourself with humidity. Dry sub and a water dish. A vertical piece of wood, and surround the mid-top of that wood with cover (plants).

They live in trees, and even after heavy rains, the elevated areas of those trees dry out pretty quickly, what with wind and all.

Study up on ventral sexing before you select one...at 3.5", any male may very well be penultimate...which means it would mature with the next molt...this is the end of the line for a male, so picking a female in this case, would be pretty important.

Unless the t is huge, it would not approach...it would be more likely those other critters would kill and eat the t.
As for the venom...its hard to say, they're NW, so venom isn't potent, but also each venom will give different animals differing reactions. I'd say its possible, although unlikely it would even occur.

The good news is that all escapes are a result of operator error, as they lack the opposable digits and brainpower to escape a proper home without help from a human (or cat).

All are different...when I moved in my landlords told me they didn't care or restrict aquarium type pets...just ones capable of causing property damage. I actually had to interview my dog...lol, but they didn't care about tarantulas....they were more concerned about the ones with fish, as a leaky aquarium can cause lots of damage.
The way you describe their humidity requirements sort of reminds me of crested geckos. They require humidity, but you shouldn't have it damp all day, and shouldn't have wet substrate. Is it easy to sex them? I feel that it would be difficult to sex a tarantula at the pet store without someone hurting it, or getting bit. Thanks for the clarification on the animal thing. I'm most likely going to be keeping him next to either my leo or my crestie, but I read they eat lizards, so I didn't want to take any chances. Haha, moving into an apartment will be interesting for me then. My betta and dachshund/chihuahua/jack russell are sure to cause some issues!

cold blood

Staff member
I think you missed my whole point on humidity.....they have NO humidity requirements, in fact adding moisture can kill them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello! I’ve sort of been in and out of wanting a tarantula for the passed year now. A pet store near me now has pink toe tarantulas in, and I’m interested, but a bit hesitant. I’m not hesitant because of my fear of spiders, as somehow my brain doesn’t count tarantulas as spiders, but hesitant because of their care. I know they’re arboreal, need humidity, normal room temperature, water, and insects, but overall how much care do they really need? I will be moving out in a few years, and am already planning on taking my dog, my 2 geckos, and my young betta. I currently have 2 older guinea pigs and a tropical community fish tank, but I doubt either will be with me in a few years :/. My main question is - do they require a lot of attentive care? Something that’s on the same level as my betta or less would be fine, but another gecko in terms of care? Probably not. Also, I have some stupid questions as well! I’ll ask them if I like the answer to this first question. Thanks for the help!
I suggest you get a terrestrial first. I also suggest you do more reading on Avics as some of the info you mentioned is not accurate, ie humidity.

I've owned reptiles of all types. I would say my leopard gecko required my daily care, but my tarantulas, esp the SLINGS, require far more ATTENTION TO DETAIL. If you don't pay attention to details, IMO, this animal isn't for you.

CrazedJoshua

Arachnopeon
I suggest you get a terrestrial first. I also suggest you do more reading on Avics as some of the info you mentioned is not accurate, ie humidity.

I've owned reptiles of all types. I would say my leopard gecko required my daily care, but my tarantulas, esp the SLINGS, require far more ATTENTION TO DETAIL. If you don't pay attention to details, IMO, this animal isn't for you.
I actually just ended up getting another leopard gecko. I couldn't see myself with a spider after all. Interesting creatures, though.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I actually just ended up getting another leopard gecko. I couldn't see myself with a spider after all. Interesting creatures, though.
Leopard geckos are great fun. I've had one, and although I'm now aware that I was keeping him completely wrong, I loved him and I miss him. We had to give him to a friend because my mom was tired of him, and he has most certainly passed away by now.