New to scorpions.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I have no clue about scorpions and i was wondering what a good beginner scorp. would be. I would prefer somethign smaller but not microscopic. Are there any that dont need a heat source or have similar care to tarantulas?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Hmm if thinking smaller its a tad trickier the largest scorpions in the hobby are the more docile ones like flat rocks or emporers. "MOST" scorpions do thrive with some sort of heat source and will grow much faster. However their are a few sp that can do just fine at room temperatures or colder. A small begginner scorpion could be something in the Centruroides family or the tityus family. Maybe even the uroplected family. . All 3 groups have faily small - medium sized scorpions, most Tityus and centruroides are communal (meaning you can housr groups of them together) and have very nice color morphs. Uroplectes are tiny little guys but are my favorite to watch. They have the nicest colorations and are very active..... there are so many things to consider when looking for the right one...
Does toxicity of their venom concern you?
Do you want a climber? A burrower?
Do you want an adult or something you can watch grow? Some scorpions best colors show after fresh molts and dull as adults. Vise versa on a few sp. Etc.... etc....
Welcome to the hobby! Keepvus updated with what you get

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Rhys, welcome to the world of scorpions. You will have to learn more about animal husbandry, lighting, feeding, heating, watering, cages and tanks, different species, and everything else. It's all pretty simple though. If you have experience with other animals such as tarantulas or reptiles then that is a plus. Scorpions are similar to tarantulas but it depends on what species. You have to read (books or internet articles), ask questions, and do research. Do NOT buy any scorpion until you have a good basic foundation of scorpion knowledge!:)

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
There is a huge percentage of scorpions that are small and somewhat docile. I keep a lot of my temperate species without heat and very basic. A good beginner scorp that meets the guidelines (somewhat tame, room temps, smaller) is Uroctonus mordax. Wonderful, fun species. Many of the natives are similar. Save for the desert stuff. So, if I were you, I'd look into the natives. Stuff like Uroctonus, Uroctonites, Pseudouroctonus, Anuroctonus, Superstitionia, Kovarikia, Maaykuyak and Diplocentrus. There are also quite a few species that occur in South/Central America, but they are a tad tougher to get.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Liocheles australasiae might be what you're looking for. Very small, docile, can be kept in a 2"X4"X2" enclosure. Great dwarf species, rarely longer than 1.25" as adults. A very timid species, never heard of any sting reports regarding them. I have a pair, feed nymph lateralis roaches, good eaters.
BEWARE!! These are a parthenogenic species.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Do complete research first is the best way to enter into the hobby.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Do complete research first is the best way to enter into the hobby.
I agree with RTTB. Imo a small beginner species that would be really fun would be Vaejovis confusus and Paravaejovis spinigerus. They aren't known to be docile at all though but they stay small, eat well, and are pretty hardy.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Liocheles australasiae might be what you're looking for. Very small, docile, can be kept in a 2"X4"X2" enclosure. Great dwarf species, rarely longer than 1.25" as adults. A very timid species, never heard of any sting reports regarding them. I have a pair, feed nymph lateralis roaches, good eaters.
BEWARE!! These are a parthenogenic species.
This sounds awesome im definitely looking these up. Remind me of marbled crayfish.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Hi Rhys, welcome to the world of scorpions. You will have to learn more about animal husbandry, lighting, feeding, heating, watering, cages and tanks, different species, and everything else. It's all pretty simple though. If you have experience with other animals such as tarantulas or reptiles then that is a plus. Scorpions are similar to tarantulas but it depends on what species. You have to read (books or internet articles), ask questions, and do research. Do NOT buy any scorpion until you have a good basic foundation of scorpion knowledge!:)
Thank you! I do have reptile knowledge and experience so most of this is pretty easy, and the hardest part of keeping scorpions would be convincing my mom lol.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
There is a huge percentage of scorpions that are small and somewhat docile. I keep a lot of my temperate species without heat and very basic. A good beginner scorp that meets the guidelines (somewhat tame, room temps, smaller) is Uroctonus mordax. Wonderful, fun species. Many of the natives are similar. Save for the desert stuff. So, if I were you, I'd look into the natives. Stuff like Uroctonus, Uroctonites, Pseudouroctonus, Anuroctonus, Superstitionia, Kovarikia, Maaykuyak and Diplocentrus. There are also quite a few species that occur in South/Central America, but they are a tad tougher to get.
The Uroctonus mordax seems like a good beginner species! I will definitely put that on my list.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hmm if thinking smaller its a tad trickier the largest scorpions in the hobby are the more docile ones like flat rocks or emporers. "MOST" scorpions do thrive with some sort of heat source and will grow much faster. However their are a few sp that can do just fine at room temperatures or colder. A small begginner scorpion could be something in the Centruroides family or the tityus family. Maybe even the uroplected family. . All 3 groups have faily small - medium sized scorpions, most Tityus and centruroides are communal (meaning you can housr groups of them together) and have very nice color morphs. Uroplectes are tiny little guys but are my favorite to watch. They have the nicest colorations and are very active..... there are so many things to consider when looking for the right one...
Do you want an adult or something you can watch grow? Some scorpions best colors show after fresh molts and dull as adults. Vise versa on a few sp. Etc.... etc....
Welcome to the hobby! Keepvus updated with what you get
Really? So what temps should they be kept at?

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Do you want an adult or something you can watch grow?
The toxicity doesnt concern me as I wont play with it all day but if it were to escape i would wish for it to not instantly kill me.
Whats the difference between a climber and a burrower?
I would prefer something to watch grow so i can develop some knowledge for the sizes and ages for that species.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
What temperature should what be kept at ? Im not ubderstanding the question specifically lol

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
The toxicity doesnt concern me as I wont play with it all day but if it were to escape i would wish for it to not instantly kill me.
Whats the difference between a climber and a burrower?
I would prefer something to watch grow so i can develop some knowledge for the sizes and ages for that species.
Well a lot of burrowing sp. Spend most of their time under ground.. will occasionally pop out for food / water. Or just to regulate body temps and get some heat but again you will hardly see it. Arboreal sp. " tree climbers" do exactly as their title says lol spend most of there time out and about climbing around. Etc...

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Well a lot of burrowing sp. Spend most of their time under ground.. will occasionally pop out for food / water. Or just to regulate body temps and get some heat but again you will hardly see it. Arboreal sp. " tree climbers" do exactly as their title says lol spend most of there time out and about climbing around. Etc...
Tree climbers seem more interesting so im going to probably like those more lol.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
U mordax are room temperature scorpions that are ridiculously easy to care for. Colony species too.