1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to scorpions, need help...

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Lettuce, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi there, I have had pets my whole life such as bearded dragons, pythons and geckos... Just recently I came to the tarantula scene and I am hooked... Anyways, when I have been browsing websites and classified ads, I see many scorpions for sale. I have always found them fascinating and never thought of them as pets until I started keeping tarantulas.. I assume care is relatively similar to T's? Can anyone recommend some good beginner species? Thanks!

2. FatherOfScorpions

FatherOfScorpions Previously Sempiternal7 Active Member

Care for scorpions varies depending on the species. Some burrow and need deep substrate, some never burrow. Some need high humidity and other prefer a dry environment. Most all need hides of some type whether it be rocks or bark and sometimes water

A few good starter species,

Pandinus imperator/dictator
    (Large, docile, tropic conditions, burrows)

Heterometrus spp.
    (Large, aggressive, tropic conditions, burrows)

Hadogenes troglodytes/paucidens
    (Large, docile, dry conditions)

Hadrurus arizonisis
    (Large, native to the US, burrows, easily kept at room temps)

Centruroides gracilis
    (Medium, docile, tropic conditions, climbs vertical)

All have mild venom, except some Centruroides gracilis, just depends on its origin.

There are so many good choices but this a just a quick rundown of some common beginner species that are easy to keep but are still very impressive scorpions. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

I have seen the Hadrurus Arizonisis many times and I think it is very impressive looking... Very cool how it is a relatively local species aswell! (at least for me)... Any recommendations on where to get them? What age to get them at? What to feed them? Thank you so much!

4. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron Active Member

I believe I saw someone in the classifieds here selling WC (wild caught) H. arizonensis. Other than that you'd need to check for local dealers, possibly an expo or two that is nearby. Alternatively, you could go looking for wild ones yourself. Just be sure to read up on local regulations regarding catching and keeping them.
    So far mine has been very easy to keep. I just have Exo-terra Desert sand as substrate and a decent sized piece of cork flat that he/she uses as a hide. Mine isn't fully grown yet I don't think, but generally speaking most advice is to get them when they are older. The species sometimes has issues molting in captivity.
    Most of the moisture they need comes from their diet. Mine has a rotating menu of appropriate sized crickets, dubia roaches, superworms with crushed heads to prevent injury to the scorpion, and the occasional hornworm. Once a month I will drip some water, not much, onto the cork and one small section of the sand.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Awesome thanks so much for the help. That helps a lot!

6. FatherOfScorpions

Pinchers and pokies has pretty decent selection of scorpions right now including Hadrurus arizonisis too.

www.pinchersandpokies.com

Generally, adults are easier to keep. Scorpions are survivalists and pretty hardy except when molting as mentioned by @CWilson1351 ,conditions must be right or you may have a loss, its unlikely, but it happens.

7. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Wow! I have never been on that site before... it's great! Unfortunately shipping is $58 so I would only order from there if it was something special or if I were to be ordering a lot at a time... Thank you! Anyways, about the molting, do you need to do anything like increase humidity or anything? Why do molting errors occur?

8. FatherOfScorpions

For Hadrurus Arizonisis specificlly, the humidity does need to be increased and the surface temps need to be around 85-90 degrees. Since they molt in a burrow, about 6 inches of sand/excavator clay mix is needed. It would also be advisable to provide a water dish at this time and even running a bit of water down the sides of the enclosure allowing some humidity underneath as well.

Several things can cause a loss during molts, most are preventable except natural causes. Things like exposure from attack from feeders, too much heat or too little heat, not enough humidity, they could get stuck in the molt and unable to get free or even get stressed out from too much activity, etc..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Try Tripiron here on AB. He has what you need. He's in AZ and shipping will be Way cheaper to you in Los Angeles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Frank A

Frank A Arachnopeon

First time scorpion owner , I just recently bought a Asian forest scorp is it ok if I keep her at room temperature of 70-75 during the day ? Should I use a 40 watt blue glass buld I bought from pet store that gets temp up to 85 degrees during day ? And what temperature at night with a colored glass bulb? Room I have her in never gets below 68 degrees

11. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

@Lettuce Give Hadrurus arizonensis a water dish. They do use it.

@Frank A Like I said in another thread, you are better off using a red bulb if you are going to use a bulb. Lamps dry out the air fast, though.
    Higher temperatures during the day with a drop at night is the best cycle if you are going that route.

12. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Do I need heating? Or can I treat them like a T?

13. Frank A

Frank A Arachnopeon

Thanks for advice I felt so lost without all these threads. You can only google so much info I needed some real advice fr
    thanks for the advice these threads have helped me immensely. I needed advice from more experienced scorpion owners and I’m getting to that point.
    Scorp is happy and healthy

14. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Depends on the ambient temperature in the room.

Heterometrus spp. like it on the warmer side (75F - 85F) so you may need supplemental heating if the room is not that warm normally.

15. Stenodactylus

Stenodactylus Arachnosquire Active Member

I second what @darkness975 said about Heterometrus. They generally prefer warmer temps than what a lot of houses are kept at... unless you like your house in the high 70s to low 80s like me ;) Keep them warm and humid, with a deep substrate to burrow into.