1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to scorpions. Identifying species and health issues

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Nick White, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hey guys, I'm new to keeping scorpions and just ordered a few from a guy I met at a local show. I was wondering if anyone could guess and instar and if the species/subspecies is correct. Also if they look to be in good health as it was very cold when they came in and one was on his back and unresponsive for a few minutes.

2. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

3. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

This guy was thrown in as a freebie and hes huge! He also ate a large cricket as soon as i housed him. But I'm concerned about the black spot on his knee, is that mycosis? Also is this an LQ?

4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    It looks like a Leiurus sp. to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

Yea the guy said deathstalker so I figured LQ but i thought they the dark last segment on the metasoma. And the leg has a dark spot but he is moving it just fine. The scorpion i actually paid for a was a Androctonus australis and it came in upside down and i thought it was dead but it twitched when i went to pick it up so i put the container on a heat pack and under a light and it flipped over after a minute and started moving around.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Be careful. Potentially deadly scorpions you got for beginner species.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

well I have a Hadrurus arizonensis for the last 6 months lol. But worry not these are my first scorpions but not my first HOTS.

8. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

Im more worried about the spot on his leg. if it is mycosis is there any antifungal treatments that work on scorpions to stave the progress?

9. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA

Keep it dry and hope for a molt. It looks like an adult though?

10. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

Not sure, Id say its about 3 inches long i can take a pick next to a quarter or something if you think that might help give you a size comparison

11. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

20181206_161228.jpg

12. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnopeon

UK
    The mark is definitely Mycosis , place scorpion in temporary enclosure while you remove ALL traces of substrate and refill with good plain desert sand - not calci sand - scorpions are usually given the dark calci sand substrate by dealers to make the scorpion stand out more, Calci sand is bad for scorpions. You need to change ALL the substrate as the virus will be in the substrate . Once changed keep the enclosure nice and hot. For moisture use a small milk bottle top- with a few stones in- once every two weeks but only leave overnight. This probably won,t clear up the present infection but will prevent any further problems.

13. Nick White

Nick White Arachnopeon

Actually a milk cap is exactly what I use as his water dish and he is being kept at 85 degrees with humidity at about 40%. I'll try to look for a better sand. The other thing I have on hand is either pulverized walnut shells or excavator clay.

14. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnopeon

UK
    The perfect substrate would be 70% sand 30% excavator clay.as you have some clay already I would use the sand / clay mix. Temp. and Humidity seem okay, using the bottle cap for water is okay - but only overnight once every two weeks, if you keep the bottle cap topped up on a a regular basis this is where problems arise with arid species.