New to scorpion keeping, I have 2 Dictator, and 1 Bark

BlooDSMeaR

Arachnopeon
Hello every one!!!!
My son found a Bark scorpion last summer while camping. He is a cute little guy. He has survived us taking care of him. He is never active, mostly hides under a some small bark chips, or his water dish.
I have a 10 Gallon glass terrarium set up for him.
about 2" of crushed coconut, a tank warmer pad, and that is how we have kept him.
I have tried to keep his cage at 50-60% humidity. I mist every morning and then night. I keep a towel over the top of the tank to keep humidity in.
once a week I buy a dozen small crickets and toss them in. after a week they are all gone. I have watched this guy a lot but he never seems to do any thing. I am sure he has eaten the crickets as where else would they go?
Any way to keep this going, the other day I was in my local pet shop, and they had 2 labeled as dictator scorpions.
The guy didn't know much about them, other than someone had brought them in and said he couldn't keep them any more. Supposedly they are a mated pair and the female is pregnant.
I bought the pair for $40 and spent another $100 on stuff to keep them in.

I have a 10 gallon glass terrarium, with about 2-3" of crushed coconut mixed with moss mixture. I also have a tank heater pad, I have it stabilized @80% humidity of course a small water dish, I stacked some flat rocks in so they had some place to hide.

Now for the questions....
The pet shop sales guy said I needed to run nighttime heat lamps, to keep the cage at 80 degrees or better. He also sad I could run them 24 hrs a day as the scorpions cant see the red light. My cage has sat right around 75 degrees with the tank heater pad on, and room temp apartment.
IS this to cold for them?
Do I need to ad a night heat lamp?
What would you do to get the temp up to >80?
Is there an easy way to sex these guys?
Is there an easy way to see if one is in fact pregnant?
Is there a proper way to positively identify the difference between Dictator/ Emperor?
I know a barrage of questions, but I have so many as I want to take care of these guys properly.
I didn't care to much about the little bark guy, I expected it to die off, but he has kept well as I can tell, My son really has taken to keeping Mr. Tickles.
These new guys are a whole new breed for me, and I want them to stay happy and healthy.

BlooDSMeaR

Arachnopeon
You found a bark scorpion in Oregon?
I am not sure now... after some more research, I am inclined to believe it is a
northern scorpion, Paruroctonus boreus. I called it a bark scorpion as that is what the primevile pet shop guy called it.
Ill go get some pics of both my species, and post.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like to use the small heat mats that are approx. 6X3 inches, placed on a side of a terr for imperators. It may not keep the whole cage warm but I find they like to go over to where it is warm, it works anyway. You have emperor scorpions, sorry they were sold as dictators but I don't think you cared much anyway, both are impressive looking scorpions. I have both imperator and dictator and have gotten use to telling the difference more easily than I used to. After you saw a few comparison examples, you'd know what I mean there. People selling imperators as dictators has gotten so frequent that people are starting to not believe reality over it anymore. It's almost to the point of ID propaganda, with people finally saying, "well I'm going to call it 'dictator' anyway."

BlooDSMeaR

Arachnopeon
Well I am a little bummed in the fact I didn't get what I thought I was buying. But you are correct I really don't mind having emperor scorpions. I find them fascinating to watch when I get to see them. They are not very active and spend most of their time in the hole that they dug.
I would like to be able to sex them, as I was also told that one was male and the other female. I just don't quite know about getting them on their backs. I was also told that the female was possible pregnant. Is there a way to tell?
My new phone should be coming in today, I will be able to get good pictures soon!!!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That lighter smaller one looks strange for imperator, maybe it's just the camera pic. The smaller one might have a molt to go, it doesn't look like an adult to me from the pics. You can put them in clear deli cups and look underneath to sex them out and/or take pics.

BlooDSMeaR

Arachnopeon
The smaller lighter brown colored one is my Paruroctonus boreus, It is an indigenous scorp to my area. The Emperor scorps are pictured together in the first posting. I haven't taken the time to get good pictures of these little guys yet. I am still trying to figure out how to tell if one is impregnated. I bought a crystal clear holding tank for crickets, I am hoping to get pics of them in that. I just hate bugging them, as I don't want to stress them out.

BlooDSMeaR

Arachnopeon
Well some good news!!! I have a verified identification on my little guy from the Department of Entomology of Washington state
What I actually have is Uroctonus mordax. Or simply a Californian forest scorpion. I know not to exciting, but for me it is !!!!
Today is the first time I have observed it moving around during daylight hours. It was also digging into the substrate. Almost like he was looking for something. I was getting worried that some thing might be wrong with him as he has not eaten a cricket in almost 2 weeks.

My new guys are a different story, they do not come out of their hide at all that I have seen. They do eat some crickets but not more than 1 or 2 at night. For what my little guy normaly eats, about a dozen a week, I would think the much bigger ones would eat a lot more.