New to pedes

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So after having scorpions and tarantulas for most of my adult life ive decided to give centipedes a try im getting mixed results when searching for thier care however.Most videis i see the depth of substrate is only about 2-3 inches other pkaces seem to have around 8 inches which is prefered? Right now i have mine in a exo terra 12x12x12 i think im going to rehouse him into a locking lid tub though.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
What species do you have? The most common mistake many pede keepers make is they’ll keep them too moist. Even though most species appreciate a good amount of moisture, some species prefer a drier environment than people think, and if kept too moist, the pede can develop mycosis, which can be fatal.

In regards to your question, I’ve found that as long as the pede can bury itself, the amount of substrate you provide doesn’t really matter. For example, I have a 4” S. heros arizonensis “Madrean Banded”, and I give it 2-3 inches of substrate, and this allows it to burrow if it wishes. I also have a 3” Rhysida longipes, and I give her just 1 inch of substrate, and she is thriving. To prove it, she actually produced a clutch of pedelings for me around 2 months ago. I also provide my pedes 1-4 cork bark hides, as well as a water dish.

As you already mentioned, definitely rehouse it out of the exo-terra enclosure. I’ve seen people keep pedes in them and do fine, but the front-opening door could allow for an easy escape if you’re not paying attention. I keep mine in a 5.5 Gallon Zilla Critter Cage, which is essentially a glass aquarium, but it has a sliding/locking lid, which helps to prevent any escapes. Sterilite Bins are just as good (if not better), but I just find them ascetically unattractive.

Hope this answers all of your questions! :)

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry i forgot to mention it is a scolopendra subspinipes i dont mind using a sterilite bin i already have several for my T's so no biggy.It is somewhere around the 5-6" range im thinking 2" of substrate would be sufficient the deeper it is seems like it would be harder to control humidity since the littke bugger always burrows to the bottom.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
It’s all good! Don’t want to assume without pictures, but you most likely actually have an S. dehaani. Most people sell them as S. subspinipes, which makes it confusing for some that can’t tell the difference. And from what I’ve heard, both species prefer to be kept on the moist side, so you shouldn’t have to worry about mycosis.

In terms of substrate, I’d go for a little bit more than that, maybe 3-4”. But whatever the amount you choose to use, make sure that it is well compacted. This will help it retain moisture. I also forgot to mention, I use a combination of Coco Fiber and sand for substrate. I’ve found that Coco Fiber that is well compacted holds moisture very well. And sand helps the water percolate down to the bottom, as well as make it easier for the pede to burrow.

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice thanks for the help ill probly tend to it when i get home and take some photos of him just to see what he is

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I rehoused him into a tub last night and was able to notice the lack of spines and the underside of the last set of legs i also noticed he was not aggressive at all which struck me as odd lots of fast moving but zero aggression.