New To OBT

sarahloveshantzel

Arachnopeon
Hey guys.. Im going to order an Pterinochilus murinus next week. Ive done all the proper research. I understand they aren't typically for a beginner. But. Ive done well so far. I am very careful. And i do genuinely care about them. The question is....... Any specific instructions for their houseing? I just waNt to do it right

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Eh, how many spiders do you own and what species? And for how long?

They are very adaptable spiders, but never refuse a burrow. So, deep substrate should be used. Keep them like any other arid sling. Which you should know how to keep.. ;) start keeping it dry at around 1.5". With a small dish of course. They are heavy webbers who also like to dig, are super defensive, skittish and fast as hell, possess some nasty venom, and are a joy to own for the experienced keeper.

sarahloveshantzel

Arachnopeon
Ive had a. B.albo for 8 months. I really just started. Idon't plan on handling her and taking all the proper steps..i fell in love as i watched a video earlier..i want a tank?? I just want to know what size tank? Surely. They like crickets too

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I suggest you to order directly a female. Not for the average issue of "with slings is better..." because "this" and "that", but really because female 'OBT' are better... at least bigger, and the lifespan.

Think... buy a sling and in not even two years he's already a mature male. Sucks, if you ask me.

Care is easy. Offer inches of dry substrate, a piece of cork bark (or other wood), a couple of fake leaves, water dish. Done.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My female is inside a medium KK ('Dragon' brand). It's enough for me... but if you feel more "comfy" using something bigger it's ok.

I don't think exist a more hardy, fast grower, and easy to care Theraphosidae than Pterinochilus murinus.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You literally just posted a thread where you didn't understand why your tarantula was bigger after it's molt and why it was eating more now that it wasn't in pre-molt...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ive had a. B.albo for 8 months. I really just started. Idon't plan on handling her and taking all the proper steps..i fell in love as i watched a video earlier..i want a tank?? I just want to know what size tank? Surely. They like crickets too
I don't you can handle it. B albopilosum are super relaxed spiders compared to OBTs, it's like they're a different animal. There's no rush to get one. They're always super super cheap and easy to get a hold of. You'll have a much better time with P murinus in a year, instead of being scared of it now.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I don't you can handle it. B albopilosum are super relaxed spiders compared to OBTs, it's like they're a different animal. There's no rush to get one. They're always super super cheap and easy to get a hold of. You'll have a much better time with P murinus in a year, instead of being scared of it now.
Edited because I was being a Sassy Susan.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Do yourself a favor and wait a while.. There are so many exotic,beautiful and feisty species available that are more suited to the new keeper.. Keeping an OBT after only keeping B.albo is like catching a sunfish and thinking your prepared to fish for sharks.. It's possible but not wise at all..

Besides compared to many species pterinochilus is kind of boring.. They are just reclusive, defensive orange spiders.. It's a high risk low reward species IMO..

Don't get me wrong I like them and I keep one but if I ever had to thin my collection it would be one of the first to go..

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
OP you are aware of their highly defensive nature and potent venom, yes?

Leila

Arachnobaron
Come on, some of you- there is no point in being so unnecessarily rude to someone who has not been aggressive at all. You can make a point without being condescending

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Come on, some of you- there is no point in being so unnecessarily rude to someone who has not been aggressive at all. You can make a point without being condescending
You're right, I was being a jerk. I take responsibility as I started it. It just gets exhausting seeing new people who don't know the basics of tarantula keeping acquire an advanced species. That's not an excuse, but it's honest.