new to keeping snakes - questions

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, Im looking into adding a snake to my collection - Ive been keeping a variety of lizards for many years now.

Any recomendations for a good first snake anyone?

Plus any links to caresheets for snakes would be appreciated.

Been looking into ball pythons but heard conflicting advice on them, some say a good starter snake others say not?

any help would be welcome,

cheers,

Stu

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think its largely personal preference. There are so many choices out there. Corn snakes, king snakes, milk snakes and some species of rat snakes all make pretty decent starters if you do your research. I myself started out with a ball python and don't regret it one bit. She has always been my best feeder, and is still my favorite snake out of a collection of 60, including native and exotic species. If you do go with ball python though, make sure you get a healthy, captive born one. Most of the ones available in pet stores are farm raised, and are not in the best of shape. Dunno though, if you're familiar with keeping lizards alive, I'm sure you'll find a ball python, or most 'beginner' snakes a breeze.

Rav

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers for the replies :)

Yeah I read about the feeding probs with some ball pythons - from what ive heard though the captive bred ones seem to have little or no probs with this right?

well - i guess i'll do some research tonight and see what new reptile will be the best for me:)

cheers again,

Stu

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ball Python

If was you I would go with a ball python, mine has never had a problem feeding. The only time there was a problem feeding was when he was shedding. Now I know that they don't eat when there shedding. Every other time my ball python has ate. Another snake that I kind of regret not getting when I had the chance was a red tail boa. One good red tail boa would be a guyanan or any other type bcc boa. If not that go with a salmon just because of the color. The thing with red tail boa is that they get pretty big. If size is not a problem then that is a perfect choice. Another thing with boas is that you have to keep the humditity and the temp just right. If size doesn't matter and you can haddle the humditiy the red tail boa is a perfect choice. If size does matter then go with a ball python.

Sam,

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree, captive bred ball pythons make good choices. Don't put too much trust in Petco in the snake department, especially with balls. ;) I disagree with BigSam, BCCs like Guyanas do not make good first snakes. They get quite large, can be nippy, and they're quite sensitive to husbandry mistakes. Colombians, which are BCIs, make better choices. They are by no means small, but they don't get quite as large as BCCs, they're more forgiving to husbandry mistakes, and are usually quite tame. They're a good choice if you can provide the room for an adult. You'll often see them sold as 'Colombians' or 'common boas'. Carpet pythons are an okay choice for a first snake. They're better for when you've had a little more experience under your belt, IMO. They are rewarding snakes to have though. Ravnos has some good choices for beginners also. :)

Bry

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
In my experience, ball pythons, even captive-bred ones, CAN have problems with feeding. In my experience, these problems are never insurrmountable. I've never even had to feed live. Temperature of the snake and temperature of the prey item seem to be key. That being said, Bry seems to have problems with his and I KNOW he knows what he is doing.

That being said, I also have a black mexican kingsnake that I got really cheap because it had eaten once in three months since hatching. Took it home, put it on a heat pad and presto it ate. It has been about a year now and it hasn't stopped eating or growing.

Cheers,
Dave

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
That being said, Bry seems to have problems with his and I KNOW he knows what he is doing.
Yeah, it's just a little fast, no big deal. :) He ate pretty well, then quit for a couple months. Started eating for about a month, and then quit eating about a month ago. I feel this fast won't be for much longer though. He's been doing a bit more hunting lately, so we'll see. I wish they would all eat like my JCP.

Bry

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well my fav's are the Pituophis. Bulls,Pines,and Gopher snakes.Dont be put off by there initial hissingand biting.You just need to hold them alot at first and they tame right down. Thats all I have ,and I have 16.

Doug

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers for the replies people :)

I getting a tank/setup theis weekend, need to bit more research before I decide but I will probably go for a corn snake at first.

These guys seem cool, ,from what Ive heard they hardy and pretty docile snake yeah?

Plus the diff colourations on them are amazing :)

well, once again I have researched a kind of animal and have about 10 that I want, man, I better start wishing for a payrise and bigger house soon,...

...maybe I could just sleep outside?

cheers,

Stu/

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by stu
...maybe I could just sleep outside?
Where would you put your fully heated outdoor monitor lizard enclosures? :)

Cheers,
Dave