New to breeding (ivorys)

desmess3000

Arachnopeon
Hello fellow Scolopendra lovers I just got these today :)

Came from sam floyd...Awsome customer service and all Millis are nice and healthy, I also only payed for 10 and received 18 so all in all pretty dang good!

So this will be my first time breeding...I have been doing all my research on this forum which I have grown to love. There is truly no limit to the amount of info you can learn off this site.

Wish me luck and I will keep y'all updated on everything :happy:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
When I saw you said Scolopendra in the first line I expected centipedes to be included haha. I still love millipedes though, nice setup just be wary of them damaging plants or any of the plants being toxic.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Very nice! They are easy to breed. Just provide the rotten wood and they will do the rest!

I'm not sure that that light might stress them a bit. Even if it doesn't cause visible stress, it may force them under more often and that would be a shame to not see them. They are a very social millipede. I have some live moss in some of my enclosures (no light source) but have never included plants. Best of luck!

desmess3000

Arachnopeon
Very nice! They are easy to breed. Just provide the rotten wood and they will do the rest!

I'm not sure that that light might stress them a bit. Even if it doesn't cause visible stress, it may force them under more often and that would be a shame to not see them. They are a very social millipede. I have some live moss in some of my enclosures (no light source) but have never included plants. Best of luck!
I was thinking the same thing actually I ordered a much dimmer full spec light to grow plants...that one is actually for an old aquarium I had lol.
As for the plant being eatin...no big deal I've got plenty in stock to replace them :)

desmess3000

Arachnopeon
When I saw you said Scolopendra in the first line I expected centipedes to be included haha. I still love millipedes though, nice setup just be wary of them damaging plants or any of the plants being toxic.
Ya right after I posted I relied I should have just said myriapods :banghead:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Breeding is simple with this species; each female can produce at least 500 young in her lifetime and possibly several times that if you are lucky.
I don't see a problem with lights or plants. Just make sure that there is plenty of substrate for burrowing and plenty of dead wood for the parents to eat.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I was thinking the same thing actually I ordered a much dimmer full spec light to grow plants...that one is actually for an old aquarium I had lol.
As for the plant being eatin...no big deal I've got plenty in stock to replace them :)
It's not a matter of losing the plants. If the plants have been treated with biocides or are otherwise toxic you would need to worry about the health of the pedes. I have been wanting to try a terrarium with plants and pedes but just haven't focused on it yet. I am sure there will be challenges to overcome. Keep us posted!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice setup,and beautiful millipedes...one of my favorite species! I hope they flourish for you!

desmess3000

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for the encouragement guys :)
All the plants I grow myself so no worries about chemicals as for toxic all the plants I have are very common plants that are used in vivariums...of course that is not fail safe so I will make sure to do my research before adding anything new.
I have actually had the tank set up for about 3 months now I did all this originally for my AGB...unfortunately as I was transferring him into his new home there was an accident and he suffered from a tragic fall
I don't think I have ever taken a pet death so badly..very brutal.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Sorry about your AGB. I know how you feel. :( Your terrarium is beautiful; it's a great new start.

desmess3000

Arachnopeon
Been awhile since an update this has turned out to be one of my favorite tanks to date. 20180115_190132.jpg

They only nibbled a few leaves here and there at the beginning but that just seemed to help the plants grow faster...the micro fauna I have in this tank is thriving as well.
All in all this is by far my easiest enclosure to maintain...just water a good amount every two weeks and humidity stays just right even with a screen top...just waiting around for some babies now :)...can't wait!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I imagine the plants would help a lot to maintain the humidity. Still beautiful!

AvLteralice

Arachnopeon
I remember making a set-up just like this when my first time replacing their enclosure from plastic to glass. It was so beautiful with all the greens, designs, moss etc. etc. then after a month my luxurious green scenery has become a desert look-a-like set up, no more greens just substrate, dead/rotten wood and leaf litter ahahahahaha. btw nice tank! Good luck~