New to arboreal tarantula

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon
Hi..
I m trying to get some arboreal tarantula next month..
I got 5 ts but all of them were terrestrial..
So which one is the best arboreal tarantula to start with..
But not for avicularia..because it is very hard to find in my country and if you get one the price was very high..
Thank you...

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
You could look at Caribena versicolor. If you've got experience with faster and/or more temperamental terrestrials, you could also look into Psalmopoeus species such as irminia and cambridgei.

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon
You could look at Caribena versicolor. If you've got experience with faster and/or more temperamental terrestrials, you could also look into Psalmopoeus species such as irminia and cambridgei.
Caribena also hard to find..i only got experience with gbb and nhandu tripepii..that a lil bit faster that others ts in my collection

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Caribena also hard to find..i only got experience with gbb and nhandu tripepii..that a lil bit faster that others ts in my collection
I’m not sure what the market is like in the Malaysia , what arboreal species do you have there that won’t break the bank?

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
I have a p irminia, and its a great t. That being said, all types of t's have a few evil ones, so mine may be better behaved than others of the species

anyone have any suggestions on a first pokie? as said, I have a p irminia, so I know about speed, and i have been reading up on them for quite some time now.

any and all suggestions are helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
anyone have any suggestions on a first pokie? as said, I have a p irminia, so I know about speed, and i have been reading up on them for quite some time now.

If you ever do get a pokie, then P. regalis is the best of the choices. But my own luck of arboreal t.'s is pretty bad IME. mostly males for me when I had a arboreal. But i'm pretty certain your luck is going to better than mines.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
@ThePokielover I'd say get some tapis or something first before going to pokies. I don't really think theres any such thing as a "starter" pokie, they're pretty similar and care for one is going to apply to just about all of them. Your profile says you're 15, and honestly I'd recommend you wait a little while before getting into pokies, get some more experience under your belt. I got my first one at 17, and there was a learning curve.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
gotcha! thank you for the advice!

If you ever do get a pokie, then P. regalis is the best of the choices. But my own luck of arboreal t.'s is pretty bad IME. mostly males for me when I had a arboreal. But i'm pretty certain your luck is going to better than mines.
best of luck in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
P.Irminia..p.cambrigei..h.maculata..some pokies..p.reduncus..t.violaceus..pseudoclamoris gigas..
Go with one of the Psalmopoeus species, irminia is my favourite out of the ones you listed.

anyone have any suggestions on a first pokie?
P. subfusca 'Lowland', mine was ridiculously chill.

P. regalis is often regarded as a good first Pokie but I've heard of a fair few psycho ones

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I love my P. irminia. I got it after a few months in the hobby and it was a great stepping stone to faster arboreals.

Glad that others have helped you. Just a heads up that generally, it would be better to make a whole new thread if you have a question that doesn’t answer OP’s or could derail the thread

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
Are P irminia more reclusive than some of the others in the genus? Maybe something to consider. I have yet to keep any Psalmopoeus but I do have a Tapinauchenius violaceus (now considered T cupreus?). It was my first arboreal and it's out and about often and since its reached about 2" DLS it's confident enough to not hide when I am near its enclosure or even if I pick its enclosure up.

Is Psalmopoeus pulcher available in Malaysia? That could be a good one too. They are said to be a bit more relaxed than some of the other Psalmopoeus and they are quite attractive as both slings and adults.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Are P irminia more reclusive than some of the others in the genus?
They're nowhere near as reclusive as people say they are, I see my girl every day.

The most reclusive Psalmos I've kept are cambridgei and ecclesiasticus.

s Psalmopoeus pulcher available in Malaysia? That could be a good one too. They are said to be a bit more relaxed than some of the other Psalmopoeus and they are quite attractive as both slings and adults.
Na, mine was pretty scatty up until he hooked out. I really enjoyed raising him, and he was out a lot so I definitely want another at some point.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Psalmopeus if you don't want an old world T. P irminia is gorgeous just keep in mind psalmopeus genus t's are super fast and defensive, venom is not potent tho so it's all good.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
P. cam all the way, you will not be disappointed, crazy growth rate, great eaters and pretty visible compaired to other arboreals in my collection.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
They're nowhere near as reclusive as people say they are, I see my girl every day.
They seem two go two ways - like your's, out all the time. Or like mine - rarely out, even more rare when the lights are on. One of these days I'm going to buy a couple of slings to see if I can get one like yours. Mine is like spotting a unicorn.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They seem two go two ways - like your's, out all the time. Or like mine - rarely out, even more rare when the lights are on. One of these days I'm going to buy a couple of slings to see if I can get one like yours. Mine is like spotting a unicorn.
I might try the same with P. cambridgei some time in the distant future to see if I can get one of those ones that supposedly never hides :peeking:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I might try the same with P. cambridgei some time in the distant future to see if I can get one of those ones that supposedly never hides :peeking:
I've got 4 P. pulcher slings and so far all 4 are out much more than my P. irminia. I'm hoping they stay that way.