New tarantula!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Has your thyroid gland been checked recently?

And just to make it clear, I'm only half-joking. ;) I suffered from hyperthyroidism a few years back and back then I walked around in a t-shirt in winter (and I'm a woman! :p), still too warm.
It hasn't been checked ever. Just looked that up. It's the other way around from what I've read. You feel cold not hot.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It hasn't been checked ever. Just looked that up. It's the other way around from what I've read. You feel cold not hot.
You feel cold when you suffer from hypothyroidism, but you get intolerant of heat/warmth with hyperthyroidism, meaning you feel uncomfortable when it's warm and welcome cool temperatures.

basin79

ArachnoGod
You feel cold when you suffer from hypothyroidism, but you get intolerant of heat/warmth with hyperthyroidism, meaning you feel uncomfortable when it's warm and welcome cool temperatures.
DOH!!!!!! Cheers. I'll look again. Thank you.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm supposed to get blood tests every year because of my meds but detest being around humans. The next time I'm really ill and have to go to the docs I'll tell them to check for it too. Cheers ears.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
You're welcome. :) I'm sure it's nothing, but problems with the thyroid gland are often overlooked because the symptoms are very diffuse. So, it's never a bad idea to have the hormone status checked once in a blue moon. ;)

obg

Arachnopeon
Did my research when i decided to go back into T's after a 20+ year hiatus and was advised to NOT use heat mats.....i have two methods of heating: when i am home for most of the day, i turn on an oil-filled heater. takes a while to heat up but once its gotten up to temperature, its nice and toasty and EFFICIENT. When i leave the house for a prolonged period ( 8 hours + when working ) i use a water bath. Its basically a container ( in my case, a small 6 gallong fish tank ), an aquarium heater, and a platform when the T's enclosures would sit on. I set the heater to my desires temp, place the T enclosures in, and cover it, leaving a small gap so it's not 100% humidity. Very nice and stable temperature for them and they seem to like it.

Water level is maybe 3 inches from the base of the aquarium....enough to cover the heater all the way ( heater needs to be fully submerged )

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
25°C is about as hot as I can tolerate. The cold I can deal with. I do my shop/post office runs in shorts and a hoody, last one I did was Monday and it was 5°C and raining.
I would die of heatstroke if I wore winter clothing in 10°C lol

25°C is way too hot! 5°C is better... but I am out working dogs in the morning in a t shirt and jeans in -1°C. If I want to wear long sleeves, it has to be like -6°C... and forget wearing a sweatshirt unless there is a serious windchill along with it lol
Jeez man, that is shorts on, windows down weather in Canada
You guys are crazy, that’s way too cold. Over here if your shoes aren’t melting to the pavement it’s not really summer

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
You guys are crazy, that’s way too cold. Over here if your shoes aren’t melting to the pavement it’s not really summer
Didn’t claim it was summer either, just that it wasn’t cold. Maybe we just have better circulation up north :p

It’s nippy at -10C, cold at -20C, and “Imma stay inside” at -30C and beyond

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Didn’t claim it was summer either, just that it wasn’t cold. Maybe we just have better circulation up north :p

It’s nippy at -10C, cold at -20C, and “Imma stay inside” at -30C and beyond
Not saying you said it was summer, just that it’s summer over here. Yikes, that’s way too cold.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
I dont use my central heating
I'm also from the UK and I rarely use central heating, and I don't use heatmats on my T enclosure. IDK about your home, but mine is able to retain heat fairly well. The room my T is in is also the same room I keep my snakes. I image the heatmats from their enclosures is what's keeping the room at a moderate temperature. None the less, applying direct heat to a Ts enclosure is often a bad idea. If you're concerned about your heating bills, then think of it as spending money on heating (keep your radiators on low if needs be), rather than the electricity spent to power the heatmats :)