New tarantula keeper

scott womersley

Arachnopeon
Hi folks, i'm totally new to this and always wanted to keep a tarantula, got a juvenile b smithi around 3 weeks ago, he's about 2" and he has been feeding fine although not crawling about much, mostly hiding out under the bark i put in, this week he has starded burrowing but he has completely closed his burrow off, see attached photo, does anyone think he is ready to moult? I'm going to still try to feed him but if he doesn't eat i'll remove the cricket but as far as i can see he is totally enclosed , any advice appreciated

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It's either premolt or fasting. So sealing itself in is nothing to worry about, it is actually pretty normal for them to do that. I wouldn't try to offer it anything if it sealed itself off. If it's hungry, it will come out and look for food. So I would wait and not worry about it sealing itself off. It is normal for T.'s to go for months without eating. ;)

scott womersley

Arachnopeon
Excellent thanks for the advice, i just put a cricket in not long ago but i'll take it out again, as i said i'm new to this and i've read quite a bit up on them but i've never seen anything on this, i'll try not to panic too much if he doesn't eat for a while....cheers

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just make sure you keep fresh water available in the dish, even when he is not eating.

Whenever one of my tarantulas seals itself up in its hide or burrow, I stop feeding until it emerges on its own. That way, you don't have to worry about the feeder burrowing also - and possibly nibbling on your spider when it is vulerable during or immediately after a molt. While removing the uneaten cricket is a good idea in theory, it's hard to actually do it if you can't find the feeder - and if your spider is preparing to molt, you don't want to go tearing his burrow apart looking for the darn thing.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
All is well.T husbandry teaches patience,and waiting.Lots of waiting.
Did I mention patience.But then,you get one of the most awesome,and fascinating
animals that share the world with us.

ShockWave

Arachnopeon
When I premolt I usually pre-kill prey items so that if they don’t eat it there is no threat to a freshly molted T. It also eliminates the possibility of burrowing prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi folks, i'm totally new to this and always wanted to keep a tarantula, got a juvenile b smithi around 3 weeks ago, he's about 2" and he has been feeding fine although not crawling about much, mostly hiding out under the bark i put in, this week he has starded burrowing but he has completely closed his burrow off, see attached photo, does anyone think he is ready to moult? I'm going to still try to feed him but if he doesn't eat i'll remove the cricket but as far as i can see he is totally enclosed , any advice appreciated
Leave it alone and enjoy nature.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
This is one of the reasons people in the hobby tend to have more than one Tarantula.

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm not sure why nobody picked up on that before but that enclosure looks a bit moist for a juvenile B. smithi/hamorii for me. They come from arid scrublands and like their substrate dry.

scott womersley

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated, do you think i need to replace the substrate or will it dry naturally with the temp at around 70-75F???

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Your ventilation isn't the best,air circulation around the bottom of this is
limited.These enclosures are ok,but not ideal for air flow.Im going to say
just let it dry on its own.Fill the water dish,but keep excess water from
soaking the substrate.Also,it looks like coca-fiber?.T,s love plain old dirt.
From a clean source.

scott womersley

Arachnopeon
Thanks mack, this is a big learning curve for me so i think i'll be on here quite a lot in the coming months it's fantastic that you can ask all you people questions on here i'll make sure the next time i get some quality dirt and not soak it!!! You read so many different things on how to house the T's and substrate etc it can be baffling but i suppose that's how you learn eh

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Also,it looks like coca-fiber?.T,s love plain old dirt.
From a clean source.
Coco fiber is just fine, top soil is just fine, dirt that you're sure is clean and pesticide free is also fine. It's all up to personal preference.

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
If you're brand new I'm going to take this opportunity to shamelessly plug the guide in my signature :) It may be of use!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
What’s wrong with coco fiber
Not a thing wrong with it.Ive used it in the past.Dirt is cheaper,compacts a little better,bolus are easier
to remove.Dubias cant burrow in it as quickly.Dosent trap and hold unwanted moisture like
peat and coco fiber.Just giving the OP a different option,thats all.