'New Tarantula Daddy' Seeking Experienced Advice

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You could use a critter keeper but my biggest concern is that the Tarantula's legs my get caught in the slits and pretty soon you'll have a insect wannabe
That doesn't really happen with Kritter Keepers. It happens with the metal mesh lids that come on glass Aquariums/Terrariums.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
looks like it has sufficient cross-venting.
I understand where you are coming from. It isn't about number of holes etc, the setup needs good mass air transfer for some species. The US owners and the European owners achieve the same results with radically different cage designs.

As for species and size, B albo is excellent, and a good size T to start with is 2"+, also G. pulchripes is excellent and typically more docile, which makes for easier cage maintenance.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know I must be boring you all senseless with my novice questions and noon enthusiasm
We'd prefer to see someone ask a lot of questions than end up killing their T w/wrong not enough information. However, it's critical you continue to do a lot more research BEFORE getting an exotic animal.

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
We'd prefer to see someone ask a lot of questions than end up killing their T w/wrong not enough information. However, it's critical you continue to do a lot more research BEFORE getting an exotic animal.
I'm all researched up. And I'm continuing my research as we go. I also have great staff at our local place...

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
Temperature in the tank seems to be around 70°F-73°F according to the thermometer. I'm probably being paranoid but is that okay? Can't help worrying... Research says it should be fine, T seems happy enough. Think I've just got a touch of New Parent Anxiety (!)

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
So, first feeding since I got it was today. Only gave one cricket to make sure it's eating, as it was fed on Friday. But being A.genic it didn't disappoint. Well... It went for the cricket as soon as it got in reach, but was skulking around the entrance to the hide, so didn't see much - T (we're calling it Harry[m]/Harriett[f]) grabbed the cricket and took it into the hole to eat. Looks like I'll have to do some digging to make sure the carcass isn't left in there later.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Looks like I'll have to do some digging to make sure the carcass isn't left in there later.
It'll most likely dump it away from the burrow, I wouldn't go digging in there if it decides it doesn't mind sharing a hole with some boluses though, they sometimes collect a few and eventually then dump the lot outside.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So, first feeding since I got it was today. Only gave one cricket to make sure it's eating, as it was fed on Friday. But being A.genic it didn't disappoint. Well... It went for the cricket as soon as it got in reach, but was skulking around the entrance to the hide, so didn't see much - T (we're calling it Harry[m]/Harriett[f]) grabbed the cricket and took it into the hole to eat. Looks like I'll have to do some digging to make sure the carcass isn't left in there later.
There will not be a carcass. It will be what is known as a "bolus" which is the remains of what was once the Cricket. It will eventually expel it and you can remove it at that point, but if it does not do so it is not a priority by any means. Some of mine have had boluses in there for years that they simply never bothered to remove. Because it is not necessary to do any cleaning aside from spot cleaning under normal circumstances, I imagine they'll be in there for a lot longer.

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
There will not be a carcass. It will be what is known as a "bolus" which is the remains of what was once the Cricket. It will eventually expel it and you can remove it at that point, but if it does not do so it is not a priority by any means. Some of mine have had boluses in there for years that they simply never bothered to remove. Because it is not necessary to do any cleaning aside from spot cleaning under normal circumstances, I imagine they'll be in there for a lot longer.
Great. Yeah, I knew "carcass" wasn't the word I was looking for but the correct term slipped my mind completely. I was saying out loud: "corpse? remains? Wtf do I mean?"

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
So, today was feeding day for my A.geniculata, the first proper time since I got it last weekend. (Actually, that's not quite true. I gave it a small cricket on Tuesday, just to make sure it was eating... I assume it was because looking today there was nothing left of it in the enclosure). So today I gave it two medium/large crickets and it took one of them down but didn't bother with the other. Also, it appears to have just left both lying around outside its hide without eating them. I'm guessing it doesn't really need them. I mean, it ate only a few days ago and also a few days before that. I hope it's just not hungry, but knowing what I know about A.genic - great eaters, never disappoint etc - it was a lacklustre display today.

Should I be worried? I'm not, really. But I am a little baffled as to why it's so uninterested in the food. To be clear, it's about 3" or so DLS, maybe a little bigger, and ate (I'm told) 2 crickets last Friday at the exotic animal place I got it from, and one on Wednesday at home with me. So it HAS eaten. My thoughts are to leave the two crickets in there until the morning, give it a chance to do what it wants with them, and remove them if it hasn't bothered with them, and try again next Friday. (I'm going to make Saturday "Feeding Day" because I'm home all day that day so have the time to sit down and sort things out properly).

I think I annoyed the poor thing, as while I had the lid off I took the opportunity to fix its hide (it was too long and too low, so I shortened the almost-a-foot of cork bark to about 5", made some space under it and covered the top of it in a layer of substrate to avoid any injuries from falls, though it isn't a climber so I needn't worry about that really). Maybe I just stressed the poor thing out when it was trying to have its dinner by fussing about in the enclosure. I've left it alone now and will take out whatever it hasn't eaten first thing in the morning.

But any words of reassurance or advice here would be very welcome!! Thanks in advance.

(I meant to take some decent photos today while I had the lid off, but I got all distracted with the whole "it's not eating immediately" thing and forgot. I'll try again next time).

Last edited:

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
Taking a look in, our T appears to have taken one of the crickets and started eating... I'm guessing it just didn't appreciate being fussed as it ate. My bad. I'll remove anything uneaten in the morning.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Taking a look in, our T appears to have taken one of the crickets and started eating... I'm guessing it just didn't appreciate being fussed as it ate. My bad. I'll remove anything uneaten in the morning.
This is actually one of the species that I DO feed before maintenance. Save me and my thongs being chased around their enclosures by a hungry monster :)

As long as its abdomen looks nice and plump, skipping a feeding isn't something to worry about ;)

NewTdaddy

Arachnopeon
As long as its abdomen looks nice and plump, skipping a feeding isn't something to worry about ;)
I'm fairly sure it's fine. Though it's perched on the wall of the enclosure now. Usually at this point in the day it hides away.

eight legged hobby

Arachnopeon
I'm open when it comes to size, both at the time of its purchase and when fully matured. I just wanted a hardy animal since it'll be my first. I've got tongs, catch-cups and paintbrushes sitting in my Amazon basket ready. I'm clued up on the "dangerous" (flicking etc) and precautions will be taken. Our home is usually around 20-25°c - rarely below - and a number of places (I've phoned around) say it should be ok with no heat mat if I use a spot heater to keep the T's corner of the room warmed up. I'm unsure, but know friends with T's who don't use heat mats at all. Hmmm...

Thanks so much for your help. Feel free, anyone, to add advice as you see fit! I'm a sponge for experience. You all know better than I do. I aspire to be as knowledgeable as folks on here! Best info source online, imo. :)
You don't need a spot heater, they're not like lizards that can tell if it's getting too hot or too cold. They could end up cooking sitting under the heat lamp bec they can't tell the difference. All you need is a cozy home. Some correct me if I'm wrong, cold temp slows T's down. Warm temperature promotes fast growth. My house is 65-70°F no heating device, my T's are fine. I could be wrong, but it's working out for me.