New T

Irma

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I have two T's, a baby Pink Zebra and a Juvenile Golden Chaco,
When I got my PZ people asked me when I'm getting my next T so I laughed and said no
I'm first going to raise this one, needless to say, a month later I had my second one, this was
last year October. Those people were right, now I can't help myself. I have already put my
heart on getting a White Knee and a Brazilian black in the near future...
But for now I have a question, I can get a Mexican red rump this weekend, with it's enclosure
for a very good price, it's already a young adult. What is your opinions on this spider and do
you guys think I should take it. I do not know if it's a male or female though..

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think she mean B vagans? I cant answer if you are gonna buy or or not? It depends on how much the price is. Cheap can mean diffrent things for diffrent people. B vagans is a nice speicies (if that is what you suggesting with the word "Redrump") i suggest you use the scientific names, as english names are misleading, eaven though tge named Mexican redrump usally refers to Brachypelma vagans! Down the line ut is up to you if you gonna buy the tarantula or not!? But as long as it is not WC i think you should. Its better to buy spiderlings of Brachypelma speicies! (All speicies are on the CITES list) just because there is less chance that slings ate WC than older specimens!

Last edited:

Irma

Arachnopeon
Yes it is a Brachypelma vagans, sorry, I'll remember to use the proper names next time. I'm new to this.. What do you mean by as long as it is not WC.? What is WC?
I know spiderlings are always a better way to go, but just wanted to know if you guys think it's a nice species to have. I live in South Africa, and the person who is selling it
wants R150 including the spiders current enclosure, here by us that's not a bad price, I paid R500 for my sling so it's not bad. I think the guy is just selling them because he might
be tight on money. I am first going to look at it in person this weekend
before I decide. I've attached a photo that he sent me.

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WC= wild caught

It looks pretty decent size! I dont know how much 150 rand is! (I know u using rand though!:angelic:) Is it a female? B vagans is a really nice speicies. I like them alot! Probably B vagans and B albopilisum are my favourit in the genus!

Last edited by a moderator:

Irma

Arachnopeon
Oh, see I'm learning, no chances of it being wild caught here is slim to none as far as I know, I'm sure he bought it as a sling from someone, which is something I will find out first as well.
I am still waiting for him to let me know if it's a male or female, but obviously it'll be a bonus if it is a female., cause then I'll have her longer.
Well, if you are in the US then R150 is roughly 10 or 11 dollars.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Then i'd say its a bargin! Thats normal price for a spiderling! Here in Sweden anyway.

Irma

Arachnopeon
Awesome!!, I will let you know what happened after I've seen it and will take some more photo's.
Thank you very much..

Oh oops, I see you're in Sweden, then it's 98 krona :embarrassed:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That price is a steal for a B vagans that size even if it is a male! Id say go for it! But i would ask him where he got it from? But ofcourse he can lie and say that it is not WC?

Oh, see I'm learning, no chances of it being wild caught here is slim to none as far as I know, I'm sure he bought it as a sling from someone, which is something I will find out first as well.
I am still waiting for him to let me know if it's a male or female, but obviously it'll be a bonus if it is a female., cause then I'll have her longer.
Well, if you are in the US then R150 is roughly 10 or 11 dollars.
Id say the ammount of WC specimens sold has to do with how many breeders there is in a area! Lets say you live in an area with only zoo shops. There is great risk that they are buying WC imports. If on the other hand luves in an area with many passionate and skilled breeders, there are less risk. If you have many breeders in SA there are less risk of buying WC tarantulas. Then you likly can buy slings of diffrent speices from breeders!

Irma

Arachnopeon
Yes, we do have a few breeders, I got my first two from the same legit breeder, this will be the first time I buy it from a "stranger", but it's a friend of my husband's fish breeder so I'm sure he got it
from a breeder somewhere, he also says that he has handled it on numerous occasions and it's never been aggressive..

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I strongly advise you not to handle tarantulas by many reasons! There are animals that are fit to handle like dogs and cats, and there are animals that are not suited to be handled like fishes and tarantulas! Best way to handle a tarantula is to use a catch cup and gently put over the tarantula and carefully slide a cardboard under it! Or gently prodding it to walk into the catch cup!

Krosskaos23

Arachnopeon
Agree, handle at your own risk, you are not only putting yourself in danger of getting bit but more importantly the T. If it falls it could spell the end for the T especially since you are getting it so cheap lol. I got me a B vegans sling about 5 months ago, I paid 35 bucks for it here in U.S so you definitely got a deal for it lol. Even better if it turns out to be a girl! But yeah try to avoid handling if possible but if you decide to, accept the risk and fear the outcomes!

Irma

Arachnopeon
I do know that yes, I have been handling my Grammostola aureostriata but always just on my bed and not very often at all. I would most definitely not handle them when they are as big
as the B vegans is. As for the price yes, I know I am getting a good price as it's coming with it's home and he/she is already big. I paid 28$ for my Grammostola aureostriata and I paid the same for my
Eupalaestrus campestratus which was and still is a sling. So the more I'm chatting to you guys now the more I'm sure I will be taking this T.

Krosskaos23

Arachnopeon
I do know that yes, I have been handling my Grammostola aureostriata but always just on my bed and not very often at all. I would most definitely not handle them when they are as big
as the B vegans is. As for the price yes, I know I am getting a good price as it's coming with it's home and he/she is already big. I paid 28$ for my Grammostola aureostriata and I paid the same for my
Eupalaestrus campestratus which was and still is a sling. So the more I'm chatting to you guys now the more I'm sure I will be taking this T.

Definitely take it!

Irma

Arachnopeon
Awesome, I'm gonna do it...

I will send you guys an update on Monday..:playful:

Arachn0Boy217

Arachnopeon
B. Vegans are not native to South Africa so definitely not wild caught, our native T's (Baboon spiders) are illegal to keep.

150 bucks (Rands/Mandelas) for the T and the terrarium is pretty sweet deal i'd go for it.

Irma

Arachnopeon
Ya, definitely not wild caught here in SA. If it's wild caught here it escaped out of someone or some pet shop's enclosure lol...

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. Vegans are not native to South Africa so definitely not wild caught, our native T's (Baboon spiders) are illegal to keep.

150 bucks (Rands/Mandelas) for the T and the terrarium is pretty sweet deal i'd go for it.
B vagans is not native to Sweden eigher but still we have wild cought specimens here

Arachn0Boy217

Arachnopeon
I currently have 10, personally i order from Petbugs and Rozzers. they have a wide variety and great service.

B vagans is not native to Sweden eigher but still we have wild cought specimens here
That's interesting, we have multiple different baboons spiders here in South Africa however our regulations are very strict. In some provinces you are not allowed to keep any T's at all not even exotics. Im sure it will be very rare to get a WC exotic here, maybe an escaped pet but that's it.