New T owner, what can I do to make my T more comfy?

3go

Arachnopeon
Hello! I'm brand new and I found this board while researching Ts, but didn't decide to make an account until I got one myself. Today I bought my own A. seemanni! I'm completely new to owning a T and was wondering if there was any advice anyone would like to give to make my T as comfy as possible. Pictures down below! The enclosure might be too big, but I got it at a cheap price. My room temp is below 60 right now so I put the tank near a space heater on the floor (the black box behind the tank). Since getting it, the T has been "scrunched up" in the front and was wondering if this was normal or because of the cold. I also tapped it on the leg and the abdomen with some tweezers and it didn't seem to mind at all, which was different from what I've heard A. seemannis were prone to doing. Is it just tired? Thanks for any advice in advance!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I wouldn't keep it below 65F for an extended period of time if you can help it. Don't even bother chasing humidity numbers. Those hygrometers are usually not very accurate anyway.

New Ts usually curl up on the side for a while, totally normal.

You need more substrate. 1.5 X DLS should be the maximum distance your tarantula could fall. So if you have a 4 inch T, the distance from the top to the substrate shouldn't exceed 6 inches.

I can't see, but if you're using a screen lid, that needs to be replaced (with acrylic or some other solid material that has air holes in it.) Ts can catch their claws in the screen and get stuck, amputate their legs to get free, take a fall, etc.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Recipe for a happy Aphonopelma seemani-
4”-5”+ of damp substrate for them to burrow in
Less height to prevent the T from falling
5 gal. enclosure or maybe smaller depending on the tarantula’s size
And finally the most important ingredient for all new tarantulas-
Peace and minimal disturbance

3go

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much guys! I'll hunt for an appropriate sized enclosure tomorrow. I am using a screen lid, but I didn't think my T could get up to it. Rookie mistake, I guess!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yeah, my A seemanni is my only adult that likes to burrow deeply -- more substrate is excellent advice. Plus it lessens distance from top should yours climb up high and takes a fall.
I don't advise screen lids, but have to admit, my A seemanni is my least likely 'climber' of my bunch. But each T is an individual and someone will chime in, no doubt, with an A seemanni climber.
Mine get slightly dampened soil (preferred) and visits her water bowl frequently.
Mine has a wooden hide she sometimes uses, but has also dug out a nice deep burrow for herself -- sometimes she uses it, sometimes she just sits topside like a pet rock.
I've learned where certain characteristics are common in some species, there is some degree of individuality in all Ts.

Best of luck -- I adore my A seemanni -- a lovely T -- esp gorgeous after a fresh moult.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
If the T is not a mature male I would recommend fattening her up or giving her damp substrate, her abdomen looks rather small.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Thanks so much guys! I'll hunt for an appropriate sized enclosure tomorrow.
IMO that the size of the enclosure is appropriate, maybe on the big side but no need to change it. Just fill it up with lots of substrate and bury the hide a bit.
Other than that it looks good :)

Also, the temp gauge you have is almost certainly inaccurate and you can disregard the humidity gauge altogether. If you want to monitor room temps accurately get a digital thermometer

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fill up half the tank with substrate that is packed down. That hide you have is more apropriate for arboreals. Cut it in half, lenghtswise and burrow it slightly. The tarantula cannit burrow in an corkbarktube!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
First, welcome to the hobby. Second, I agree with most of the information provided above, so I shall not repeat good points already made. My additional two cents would be, stop tapping your tarantula. It may have seemed not to "mind", but although a creature without a mind (so to speak), they do have survival instincts. It was just holding in place on the chance you may not eat it, which worked out for it. However, think of your primal reaction if you were caught out in the open by a twenty story giant and it poked you in the leg and abdomen with an aluminum utility pole. I'm thinking you would just chill and hope also. There is hardly ever a reason to poke them, even if you think they're dead. If being dead is the case, they start to stink.

Last edited:

3go

Arachnopeon
substrate I think you need that...lots of it...oh how sad this animal is being kept.
Hi! Thanks for the advice! It's something that a lot of people has said before so I'm definitely going to put more substrate when I change to a smaller enclosure. I don't think it's helpful to say that it's sad how the animal is being kept when there isn't any constructive criticism. I'm a new T owner after all, so I'm still learning! Maybe you could say what you believe is "sad" about the enclosure.

If the T is not a mature male I would recommend fattening her up or giving her damp substrate, her abdomen looks rather small.
I'm not sure how to sex my T. I don't want to disturb it too much either since I just got them yesterday. I tried feeding them a cricket yesterday but it would not respond.

IMO that the size of the enclosure is appropriate, maybe on the big side but no need to change it. Just fill it up with lots of substrate and bury the hide a bit.
Other than that it looks good :)

Also, the temp gauge you have is almost certainly inaccurate and you can disregard the humidity gauge altogether. If you want to monitor room temps accurately get a digital thermometer
Thanks! I'll grab a digital one as soon as I can.

Fill up half the tank with substrate that is packed down. That hide you have is more apropriate for arboreals. Cut it in half, lenghtswise and burrow it slightly. The tarantula cannit burrow in an corkbarktube!
Thanks for the advice!

First, welcome to the hobby. Second, I agree with most of the information provided above, so I shall not repeat good points already made. My additional two cents would be, stop tapping your tarantula. It may have seemed not to "mind", but although a creature without a mind (so to speak), they do have survival instincts. It was just holding in place on the chance you may not eat it, which worked out for it. However, think of your primal reaction if you were caught out in the open by a twenty story giant and it poked you in the leg and abdomen with an aluminum utility pole. I'm thinking you would just chill and hope also. There is hardly ever a reason to poke them, even if you think they're dead. If being dead is the case, they start to stink.
Hi! When I first posted about tapping the tarantula, I only did it to check the temperament of it to give the forums more information about my new T. I've read that this species are prone to running away if bothered. I completely understand that tarantulas aren't something to be handled frequently or be pet.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Then don't comment at all.
it was important to educated the owner about the severity of the situation, and by being harsh it would impose a greater emotion behind what they have done. Keeping a T like that can be dangerous. you may not like my methods but they are reasonable. I said the conditions are sad and cruel to the T, the is true keeping an animal in a habitat that is dangerous is sad and cruel. I explained how it should be fixed immediately by adding more sub and lots of it.

your comment seems really non relevant to the conversation of what has transpired.

this is not a rookie mistake, a rookie mistake would be missing an inch or two. This is the mistake acted by someone ignorant about Ts that refused to fully educate themselves about it and because it has been done they have created the ability to be reprimanded. This is not even basic Terrestrial care, let alone the minor extra requirements for A. seemanni.

a total unconcern to a T will result in a total unconcern to the OPs feelings.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
it was important to educated the owner about the severity of the situation, and by being harsh it would impose a greater emotion behind what they have done. Keeping a T like that can be dangerous. you may not like my methods but they are reasonable. I said the conditions are sad and cruel to the T, the is true keeping an animal in a habitat that is dangerous is sad and cruel. I explained how it should be fixed immediately by adding more sub and lots of it.

your comment seems really non relevant to the conversation of what has transpired.

this is not a rookie mistake, a rookie mistake would be missing an inch or two. This is the mistake acted by someone ignorant about Ts that refused to fully educate themselves about it and because it has been done they have created the ability to be reprimanded. This is not even basic Terrestrial care, let alone the minor extra requirements for A. seemanni.

He did not know any better. There is just so much misinformation out there that is is easy to be mislead. It could be considered partially his fault but still, he just listened to the wrong things. You cannot fault people for that.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
the ignorance and poor education of the keeper keeping a TERRESTRIAL like that.

I didn't intend on being constructive.
We’ve all wandered blindly into the hobby and every beginner will make mistakes no matter what. The important thing is that we notify them of these errors, provide them with information and correct these problems so that they can learn and not only benefit themselves but the spiders themselves. No need to be harsh, we’ve all been in their position before; they just need some constructive criticism to get them on the right track. :)

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
He did not know any better. There is just so much misinformation out there that is is easy to be mislead. It could be considered partially his fault but still, he just listened to the wrong things. You cannot fault people for that.
yeah ok fair point. I guess even I made a few mistakes...erm lets not dig for them.

I guess I apologize for my impoliteness.

they just need some constructive criticism to get them on the right track. :)
fair enough, mate. I will agree I was quite harsh. I am adding unnecessary toxicity to the hobby. I will definitely check myself...erm unless its a "molting or dead" thread because I'll loose my mind.(jokes);)

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hello! I'm brand new and I found this board while researching Ts, but didn't decide to make an account until I got one myself. Today I bought my own A. seemanni! I'm completely new to owning a T and was wondering if there was any advice anyone would like to give to make my T as comfy as possible. Pictures down below! The enclosure might be too big, but I got it at a cheap price. My room temp is below 60 right now so I put the tank near a space heater on the floor (the black box behind the tank). Since getting it, the T has been "scrunched up" in the front and was wondering if this was normal or because of the cold. I also tapped it on the leg and the abdomen with some tweezers and it didn't seem to mind at all, which was different from what I've heard A. seemannis were prone to doing. Is it just tired? Thanks for any advice in advance!
Put 5 more inches of substrate in there, and they like it damp. Put leaf litter on top .:)

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
OP is on the forum, taking advice of other keepers showing a legit concern over their T. Your attitude could have pushed OP away from this forum and into the hands of maybe a Dark Den youtube comment section. This forum already does not have a great reputation for being friendly to newbies as it is and you are not helping with these kinds of comments.

But fair on you for realising you were a bit harsh and admitting that. Try and check yourself before you post and cause damage.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
New beginners seems afraid of adding to much substrate? I almost olways see tanks with a relative thin layer. I dont know why?, maybe they dont want the tank to be to heavy, but a burrower really needs deep substrate!. And by adding a deep layer of sub in a tank, you hit 2 birds with the same stone! The spider can dig a deep burrow+ you eliminates the risk of a climbing tarantula falling and injure itself!