New T Owner ; Some Questions

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
Just because they can, doesn't mean that's optimal. Technically you could get your moisture from foods if you ate a enough fruit...still, a glass of water might still be nice...lol.
Mmmmmm das true. However, my point was not against water dishes but the fact that if his enclosure is misting up, chances are the ventilation isnt good. In that case, wouldnt it be a stuffy death trap similar to the emergency wet towel in container for dying ts kinda thing? My bigger slings all have water dishes its just the rly small condiment cup ones that dont haha

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Substrates that incorporate vermiculite are good, I’m assuming you were referring to just 100% vermiculite being bad which is true. I use a mixture of about 50% organic peat moss, 30-40% coco fibre and 10-20% vermiculite. It holds really well for fossorial species and the vermiculite helps retain moisture.

For species that hate moisture in their sub I use straight dirt or coco fibre, so for OPs Smithi I would probably still stick with coco fibre

If I mix the slightest amount of vermaculite into my substrate, all my terrestrials literally climb the walls and won't touch it.

Still, if you add an inch or two of peat or cocofiber on top, no problems.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I mix the slightest amount of vermaculite into my substrate, all my terrestrials literally climb the walls and won't touch it.

Still, if you add an inch or two of peat or cocofiber on top, no problems.
That’s interesting, it doesn’t bother mine. What size vermiculite do you use? I just use the 1-2mm variety

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
It's just the finely graded stuff from the hardware store. She doesn't mind peat at all which is good. I find that putting an inch of either peat or cocofiber over the offending substrate will bring her get back to Earth again.

I don't think size matters that much. She flat out hates the stuff. She won't burrow down into it either (which is just as well in my opinion because her hide is plenty big)

I've found that vermaculite is very useful for arboreals because it can retain moisture without rotting. As a bottom layer with sand, I can use it under normal substrate as it's own layer not mixed in.