New T owner Observing Interesting Behavior

MrAnthrope

Arachnopeon
My Aphonopelma Chalcodes just started doing something strange (strange to me at least) and was curious what you all thought she was doing? Ive only had her a few months but shes a healthy eater, active, and in general what I expected after doing lots of research. Today shes digging a hole in the substrate, reversing in, and doing something with her spinnerets I believe. She then goes back in, digs more out, and carries it away. The behavior has me more curious than concerned. Thoughts? Including a link to a video below...hoping it works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8IVF0W8GXKA0CLhO2

Devin B

Arachnobaron
It sounds like your T is redecorating is enclosure. T's dont have much to do so stuff like this happens all the time.

MrAnthrope

Arachnopeon
It sounds like your T is redecorating is enclosure. T's don't have much to do so stuff like this happens all the time.
Kind of what I thought. When she backs in do you think she is laying web to keep her decorations together? I couldn't tell if she was webbing or just using the spinnerets to move the substrate.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Kind of what I thought. When she backs in do you think she is laying web to keep her decorations together? I couldn't tell if she was webbing or just using the spinnerets to move the substrate.
Webbing to keep the substrate in place. Even if you can't see webbing the way you do for C. cyaneopubescens or M. balfouri, all tarantulas lay web in their enclosures. Even when walking their walls you can watch them touch their spinnerets against the sides of the enclosure. Not sure if it's explained why they do this but I think of it as laying bread crumbs-- to see where they've already been.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
She's settling in :cat:

The entire Aphonopelma genus is a joy. They're always up to something, especially in the months following a rehouse. Just enjoy her.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Looks like she's lining her hole with webbing to keep it all in place. Spider silk is very useful in a lot of ways. It holds stuff together when they need it (like for a burrow), they often use it to lay down a "place mat" for eating and molting, and it also creates a surrounding environment that is vibration and pressure sensitive.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Cool, isn't it? Great species for observing tarantula behavior. I see mine doing things, while most of the others pretty much move or do something when I'm not looking directly at them.. Except at feeding time. :rolleyes:

MrAnthrope

Arachnopeon
Turns out she was making curtains for her hide. Literally draping the web/substrate over the opening lol.

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
That's got to be one of my favourite answers to the question "what is this tarantula doing?" ever.
"Making curtains".
I love it!

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Only one of my Ts has made a dirt curtain, my P smithi. I doneish I saw her more but I have come to enjoy the constructions she had made. Its interesting stuff isn't it?