New T mid molt when opening

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Anyone got a link to the review?

@Bhickman
Yes, the seller was 'very friendly' in sending you an OW freebie for which you not feel ready at all.
I can't believe he still tries to take advantage of the fact that you are a new keeper and first time arrival from shipment.
After all this I would have sent you a beginner spider for free just to let you know that it usually works out very well via shipment. But I'm in Europe so that's not possible.
He should have let you choose a replacement of same value.
thanks that's awesome that you would even consider something like that. i understand i'm not gonna quit i know things happen and all experiences aren't gonna be bad. i guess on a positive note i got the bad experience out of the way just happened to be a fairly expensive spider(to me) and the one i wanted.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
thanks that's awesome that you would even consider something like that. i understand i'm not gonna quit i know things happen and all experiences aren't gonna be bad. i guess on a positive note i got the bad experience out of the way just happened to be a fairly expensive spider(to me) and the one i wanted.
I assure you not all transactions through the post work out like yours, I order from people all over the UK and EU, never had a bad experience, I've had DOA's and T's that survived for a couple of days but the sellers have seen that was not good business and received apologies, replacements, and discounts on my next purchases, you get fantastic sellers/dealers, unfortunately your experience is out if the ordinary to say the least, good for you leaving the review you did, nothing you said was untrue, and extremely factual, all the best for future transactions.....

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
its only about 1/4 " now but how crazy is it gonna be when it gets older/bigger. i know its freaking fast right now. it bolted when i was housing it originally. was quick
An OW as a freebee, now that makes loads of sense, knowing it's your first....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
its only about 1/4 " now but how crazy is it gonna be when it gets older/bigger. i know its freaking fast right now. it bolted when i was housing it originally. was quick
As long as you give it plenty of substrate and a suitable hide, you shouldn't really have any issues. It will always be very quick, but usually they'll burrow/stay hidden if given the correct enclosure setup. Best advice I can give, is always do rehousings on a big open floor with a catch cup in arms reach. If they do bolt, they run out of steam pretty quick.

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
As long as you give it plenty of substrate and a suitable hide, you shouldn't really have any issues. It will always be very quick, but usually they'll burrow/stay hidden if given the correct enclosure setup.
hes been fun to watch set up his enclosure i wish i would have put him in a 16 oz deli cup but uses a 8 oz i think. its plenty big and i did 3/4 full of substrate. found its hide rather quickly has dug a second entrance out the back side of it and has made what looks like the dirt its pushed out and webbed a funnel to the entrance. its webbed a lot more than the a. metallica has. i don't hardly ever see it. when it first went in hide it webbed entrance up. i rubbed a small cricket on entrance and it snatched it was pretty cool. hasn't done that again I've been squishing the crickets head and leaving near the entrance. and come back in a few minutes to look and its gone and can see it down in the burrow. as far as water i wasn't sure so i used pens clicker cap and pushed it into the substrate on the opposite side of enclosure in ill fill it and wet the substrate around it leaving all the rest dry. figured that would be small enough he couldn't fall in and drowned if he needed a drink and i wasn't wetting the substrate right or enough.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
hes been fun to watch set up his enclosure i wish i would have put him in a 16 oz deli cup but uses a 8 oz i think. its plenty big and i did 3/4 full of substrate. found its hide rather quickly has dug a second entrance out the back side of it and has made what looks like the dirt its pushed out and webbed a funnel to the entrance. its webbed a lot more than the a. metallica has. i don't hardly ever see it. when it first went in hide it webbed entrance up. i rubbed a small cricket on entrance and it snatched it was pretty cool. hasn't done that again I've been squishing the crickets head and leaving near the entrance. and come back in a few minutes to look and its gone and can see it down in the burrow. as far as water i wasn't sure so i used pens clicker cap and pushed it into the substrate on the opposite side of enclosure in ill fill it and wet the substrate around it leaving all the rest dry. figured that would be small enough he couldn't fall in and drowned if he needed a drink and i wasn't wetting the substrate right or enough.
Sounds like you set it up perfectly fine. For future reference though, you don't have to worry about T's drowning. They float, and can actually swim/crawl on top of the water.

keks

Arachnobaron
OT-Pics :):rolleyes: ??

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Sounds like you set it up perfectly fine. For future reference though, you don't have to worry about T's drowning. They float, and can actually swim/crawl on top of the water.
oh i did not know that thanks. i had read not to leave a water dish for slings but i was worried not to leave anything so i thought that was a good compromise the clicker cap lol

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
OT-Pics :):rolleyes: ??
pics of its enclosure? i can get some when i get home and will post. i feel bad though he anchors everything to the lid so i try to just crack one side and squeeze the crickets or syringe in to water him. so i mess his webs up a little everytime i have to open it

keks

Arachnobaron
pics of its enclosure? i can get some when i get home and will post. i feel bad though he anchors everything to the lid so i try to just crack one side and squeeze the crickets or syringe in to water him. so i mess his webs up a little everytime i have to open it
I know this problem, my Avicularia geroldi anchored her web almost completely at the lid too. I have only a very small acting-radius to give water and food. Sometimes it is good, when the lid is made of soft plastic ^^.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Don't know how you paid, but if you used Paypal, you could always file a dispute. They tend to agree with the buyer in most situations, so you'd probably at least get some money back. The fact that the seller emailed you after the review admitting he could've handled the situation better, but then proceeds to NOT handle the situation better just bothers me. Admitting the situation wasn't handled properly should IMMEDIATELY be followed by asking the buyer how to rectify the situation. The seller made a mistake. You shouldn't be the one at a loss because of it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Can't believe it either.. This thread has almost 7 pages of replies. The guy just screwed himself out of a lot of business, which could have easily replaced the loss of a spider/$70 tenfold.
He's been added to my list of people I'll never do business with, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Dumb, dumb move. What's annoying is how he's phrasing it as if nothing can be done about it.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Another thing I noticed after reading your review was that the shipment was supposed to be held at the Fed Ex facility, not delivered to your house. Had your wife not been there by chance, you'd likely be looking at three dead slings (including the freebie) instead of one. While that could have been an error on Fed Ex's end, to me that implies that the seller didn't tell Fed Ex to hold it. That could've spelt disaster for you and your T's, and that might have been entirely the seller's negligence. So that's now three things about your order that could have been drastically improved: the proper delivery/holding method, the shipping of a premolt sling, and the customer service. I could honestly overlook the first two issues if the seller was at least willing to work with you to ensure you both reached a resolution you could both be content with, but as the situation is now, I wouldn't buy from him. I wouldn't take the risk.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
What's annoying is how he's phrasing it as if nothing can be done about it.
Absolute nonsense, he can still make things right by offering you a T of the same value as the
G. pulchra, without charging P&P it's the ONLY thing he can do to make this right.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Agreed with so much posted here re: seller.
It's never too late to make something right.
I am very disappointed seller didn't offer at least a refund or to ship something of comparable value.

At the end of the day, maybe the seller didn't realize T was pre-moult, but one thing was always certain: the buyer was NOT at fault here.
Yet buyer has lost in many ways -- not just losing the T (and money); but buyer spent the week up to the loss involved in the care and concern over the wounded T. And time spent seeking advice and posting on the boards for help. This was a costly T in many ways.

All this plus seller unwilling to even keep lines of communication open -- just ignored emails for days on end. Bad for buyer, bad for hobby. :mad:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's actually an Old World species that gets recommended a lot for a first OW. They can be defensive, and they're reasonably quick as well. Best way to keep it (besides what you are already doing which is fine!), is in a larger tub than you would normally do. This way you create some working space so you don't have to deal with a defensive spider every time you open the enclosure.

The pulchra wasn't only expensive to you. It is a lot of money and I think you have every right to be pissed off at losing it this way.