New T mid molt when opening

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So I assume he/she won't be whole after one molt but how much of a recovery could I expect. How do the legs that are completely gone regrow or do they slowly grow from the point they were lost.
I've had an C.versicolor of that size missing four legs. Next molt, all legs were back. Amazing ability.
If they don't have waxworms you can try the innards of mealies or superworms. Same practice really. If they don't sell those you can try cutting the soft rear parts of crickets and mash those with some water. (I know, this sounds gory...)
Good luck and keep us updated :)

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
I've had an C.versicolor of that size missing four legs. Next molt, all legs were back. Amazing ability.
If they don't have waxworms you can try the innards of mealies or superworms. Same practice really. If they don't sell those you can try cutting the soft rear parts of crickets and mash those with some water. (I know, this sounds gory...)
Good luck and keep us updated :)
Thanks gonna need all the help I can get learning as I go

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks gonna need all the help I can get learning as I go
You'll be doing everything even people with decades of experience can do really. Keep her warm, hydrated and quiet, try feeding later. I wouldn't mess with her more, she needs to recover as well as hydrated/fed. :)

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
You'll be doing everything even people with decades of experience can do really. Keep her warm, hydrated and quiet, try feeding later. I wouldn't mess with her more, she needs to recover as well as hydrated/fed. :)
Only time I've messed with him/her since yesterday was to gently roll over best I can with a soft paint brush and give him/her water. Been putting lighlty damp towel in bottom and dry on top of that. then Been trying to leave one side of paper towel damp and one side dry. Using a 16oz deli cup. Any critiques or changes need to be made. Been trying to hydrate 2-3 times a day since saturday too much or ??

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I don't know if I have roaches locally. I think a pet store in the town I work out of has crickets for sure and I believe some variety of worms also.
Keep the spider slightly warmer than your other ones,offer drops of water and later waxworm soup as much as it will take. The goal is to get it to molt sooner, which wouldn't take that long since it is a sling.
Once it's taken a meal it should be heading on its way to recover, I'm staying optimistic.
These steps will really help out, I'm really hoping he//she is on the way to recovery, any signs of improvement yet, keep us ported, I'm really rooting for the wee fella now I've seen these optimistic posts, they're so resilient, it's beyond belief how much they can put into recovering from incidents like yours, COME ON FELLA!

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Only time I've messed with him/her since yesterday was to gently roll over best I can with a soft paint brush and give him/her water. Been putting lighlty damp towel in bottom and dry on top of that. then Been trying to leave one side of paper towel damp and one side dry. Using a 16oz deli cup. Any critiques or changes need to be made. Been trying to hydrate 2-3 times a day since saturday too much or ??
No, that's okay :)

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
No, that's okay :)
Thanks everyone again been dying I'm at work worried about her won't be home for another 3 hours or so. Fingers crossed I did email seller with newest pics and updates this morning early. No reply as of yet though. But I do appreciate all the support and best wishes and help. Definitely makes me feel more confident in the process thus far and hopefully she'll eat and we can fatten her up get her nice and healthy and hopefully molt quick. I'm nervous about the feeding hope she can do it. I'll keep y'all updated best I can. Hopefully all good news from here out.

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
still going as good as it can be. hydrated this morning before leaving for work seemed to take first droplet rather quickly. so i gave another before taking off. as far as feeding how long should i wait was wondering with what @Andrea82 recomended with worms if i made a soup out of them should i still wait. just wondering. every now and then she has a burst of energy when im flipping her or moving her pedipalp out from under her fang. l always get some movement but every now and then she comes to life. im hoping making her food into a soup will work being im afraid about her fangs having issues. on a side note still no response from the seller.

Phases

Arachnoknight
This whole thing is amazing. You're basically nursing that poor thing back. It's things like this that make me wonder if connections can be made with these guys. I mean, might she remember all you're doing for her, or realize that you're consciously trying to help and take care of her. At any rate, keep us posted, I'm very eager to see this one have a positive ending. She looking about the same?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
still going as good as it can be. hydrated this morning before leaving for work seemed to take first droplet rather quickly. so i gave another before taking off. as far as feeding how long should i wait was wondering with what @Andrea82 recomended with worms if i made a soup out of them should i still wait. just wondering. every now and then she has a burst of energy when im flipping her or moving her pedipalp out from under her fang. l always get some movement but every now and then she comes to life. im hoping making her food into a soup will work being im afraid about her fangs having issues. on a side note still no response from the seller.
Good to hear she's still well, the soup thing is a good option, but not necessary unless she completely lost her fangs, she should be able to eat an unliquified feeder like a small cricket or mealworm.

What you could do is simply pre kill the prey and try to to tongue feed the T, you might need to hold it near her fangs until she sinks them in and gets a hold of it.

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
This whole thing is amazing. You're basically nursing that poor thing back. It's things like this that make me wonder if connections can be made with these guys. I mean, might she remember all you're doing for her, or realize that you're consciously trying to help and take care of her. At any rate, keep us posted, I'm very eager to see this one have a positive ending. She looking about the same?
yeah the same i am completely new to this but i think everything is set the way its going to be until we can get to a molt. she has movement with the front legs whats there but no real articulation pretty much first 2 joints closest to the body from what i can tell anyways. fingers crossed im scared every morning or afternoon i walk in that shes gone but so far shes been a trooper. i have never been a fan of spiders period so ive come a long way lol doing this. i was joking with my wife the other day and said if she pulls through this shell probably be the most angry spider even though i got it for its "black lab" reputation. time will tell hopefully good news

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Good to hear she's still well, the soup thing is a good option, but not necessary unless she completely lost her fangs, she should be able to eat an unliquified feeder like a small cricket or mealworm.

What you could do is simply pre kill the prey and try to to tongue feed the T, you might need to hold it near her fangs until she sinks them in and gets a hold of it.
ok thanks yeah i planned on killing what ever i gave her for sure dont want to take any chances cause the way she looks im afraid im going to have to flip her to feed her too. as her main body is point towards the sky.

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
had a scare tonight flipped her to give her some water and noticed she wasnt moving. noticed she had pooped in the towel and some was still on her abdomen so i wet the soft brush and was gently wiping it off and she starts moving legs. whew she had me worried. i keep waiting for the next time i check on her to be the time shes gone i hope not but my worry. she isnt active at all. i dont know that shes moved around much lately which in her state is a struggle. been changing out towels daily just dont want anything happening like mold or whatever. this just sucks really wanted one then this happens and see all the videos on youtube and stuff and wonder if well ever get there. and in the back of my mind got the fact she cost about $70 before shipping. am honestly glad i got the a. metallica so i dont feel like im at a total loss. sorry for the rant there lol just wanted to post an update

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

@Bhickman , if you're going to try above method, you need to be absolutely sure her fangs are hardened out enough. You can tell by the colour of them, they go from white to red to black. Only feed on black.

The fact that she puts herself rightside up is a good sign. The water disappearing fast is one as well. :)

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
@Bhickman , if you're going to try above method, you need to be absolutely sure her fangs are hardened out enough. You can tell by the colour of them, they go from white to red to black. Only feed on black.

The fact that she puts herself rightside up is a good sign. The water disappearing fast is one as well. :)
She didn't flip herself yesterday I had asked my wife to flip her yesterday and I get home and she had forgotten before she left for the day. Didn't seem like she really wanted to take water last night. Between those and her not moving last night at first I was afraid I had lost her. Then when I went to wipe the poop off she got to wiggling. I'm going to wait on feeding was just wonder if I liquified it if she could take it sooner. Thought maybe if she got some nourishment it might help.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She didn't flip herself yesterday I had asked my wife to flip her yesterday and I get home and she had forgotten before she left for the day. Didn't seem like she really wanted to take water last night. Between those and her not moving last night at first I was afraid I had lost her. Then when I went to wipe the poop off she got to wiggling. I'm going to wait on feeding was just wonder if I liquified it if she could take it sooner. Thought maybe if she got some nourishment it might help.
(I'm just calling it a her for now. No idea what sex it is ;) )
Her abdomen looks plump in the last pics you posted so food isn't a real emergency just now. But if you stick to liquids, you might as well give her some cricket/mealie soup. If she takes that, then maybe you can fatten her up to molt sooner. The advice about her fangs hardening was meant for solid feeders. Can you see which colour they have?

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
(I'm just calling it a her for now. No idea what sex it is ;) )
Her abdomen looks plump in the last pics you posted so food isn't a real emergency just now. But if you stick to liquids, you might as well give her some cricket/mealie soup. If she takes that, then maybe you can fatten her up to molt sooner. The advice about her fangs hardening was meant for solid feeders. Can you see which colour they have?
Yeah I understand. Started when I first got her they were blood red out of the package they seem to be a darker red now.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I hope the best for your tarantula. Pretty rough experience when there like this its always so touch and go.

I would also recommend posting a review for this seller if their is one for them on here. This whole situation your dealing with could have been avoided if the seller didn't send a T that was most likely showing signs of Pre-Molt... Maybe let them know your going to post a review. You should have already received some sort of compensation for this order and the fact that the seller seems to be waiting to see if the T makes it before taking any action actually makes me upset for you.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I would also recommend posting a review for this seller if their is one for them on here. This whole situation your dealing with could have been avoided if the seller didn't send a T that was most likely showing signs of Pre-Molt...
While I agree that this is mostly avoidable, and the lack of a prompt response is not a good sign, I would still give the seller a chance to correct the problem before posting a review. (Mistakes sometimes happen; it's how the seller responds that matters.)

Last edited:

keks

Arachnobaron
I'm watching this thread, and with every new posting of the opener I get knots in my stomach. I hope, that your t will get it. The reaction (better not-reaction) of this dealer makes him just more unprofessional. It's a shame.