New study suggests insect populations have declined by 75% over 3 decades

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Just reporting the news.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/europe/insect-decline-germany/index.html

A new scientific study has found "dramatic" and "alarming" declines in insect populations in areas in Germany, which researchers say could have far-reaching consequences for the world's crop production and natural ecosystems.
The study, published on Wednesday in peer-reviewed journal PLOS One has found that, in German nature reserves, flying insect populations have declined by more than 75% over the duration of the 27-year study. "The flying insect community as a whole... has been decimated over the last few decades," said the study, which was conducted by Researchers from Radboud University in the Netherlands and the Entomological Society Krefeld in Germany.

"Loss of insect diversity and abundance is expected to provoke cascading effects on food webs and to jeopardize ecosystem services." Co-author Caspar Hallman said he and his colleagues were "very, very surprised" by the results.
"These are not agricultural areas, these are locations meant to preserve biodiversity, but still we see the insects slipping out of our hands," he told CNN.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I wonder if this is a German or developed area specific problem or a worldwide one.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
I've seen new insects in my area, but less in total. Ex.. Its the first year I find so many ruby tigers and rove beetles in my area, same with black slugs.