New Spider Day--Rescue B. boehmei

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Picked up this beautiful B. boehmei today (or at least, pretty sure it's a boehmei because of the leg pattern, though the emelia-esque dark spot at the front of the carapace was a bit confusing) from a nice guy who had to move across the country on short notice. He just wanted to make sure she went to a good home. She was purchased at Petco two years ago and was living in a 20 long--rehoused her into a 8x8x12 acrylic. Probably 3.5" to 4" DLS. Kicked a ton of hairs while rehousing as could be expected! He even gave me an Exo Terra Terrasky LED to play with. 😀 Thrilled to have this T, as my current boehmei is still very small--hoping to get a ventral shot to see if I can guess at the sex.

IMG_3579.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
One beautiful, super itchy spider.

Last week i had to usher a juvie back home....its been 8 days...my palm still itches like crazy...lol

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I was careless and didn't take any precautions (gloves, long sleeves), but I got lucky that most of the kicking happened inside the transfer bottle. But I did scrub the table and vacuum afterwards! So far nothing noticeable.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
@Poffypoffa that is truly a gorgeous T! May she give you many good years.

I recently picked up a B boehmei, This is the first tarantula species I wanted to get but never got the opportunity. Finally I found a sling 🎊🎉. I've heard their hairs are quite itchy but then again I have two Nhandu chromatus, a GBB, and have not had any issues...yet

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
@Tbone192 I've been very lucky--I have a Nandu and Lasidora, both of which reportedly have extremely bad hairs, but haven't had issues yet with them either. The Nandu actually doesn't kick very much--she's very much a "stand her ground" spider and loves to attack and threat pose. 😁

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
@Tbone192 I've been very lucky--I have a Nandu and Lasidora, both of which reportedly have extremely bad hairs, but haven't had issues yet with them either. The Nandu actually doesn't kick very much--she's very much a "stand her ground" spider and loves to attack and threat pose. 😁
both my larger
Nhandu just sadly along with my firelegs, died in 2020 one for no found reason the other old age . I got two slings now but won’t know for years if either is female or if they make it.
Picked up this beautiful B. boehmei today (or at least, pretty sure it's a boehmei because of the leg pattern, though the emelia-esque dark spot at the front of the carapace was a bit confusing) from a nice guy who had to move across the country on short notice. He just wanted to make sure she went to a good home. She was purchased at Petco two years ago and was living in a 20 long--rehoused her into a 8x8x12 acrylic. Probably 3.5" to 4" DLS. Kicked a ton of hairs while rehousing as could be expected! He even gave me an Exo Terra Terrasky LED to play with. 😀 Thrilled to have this T, as my current boehmei is still very small--hoping to get a ventral shot to see if I can guess at the sex.

View attachment 467273
One of my favorite species I kept hope I can get another few of them someday.