New Smithi!

Medicinewolf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I said after I got my first T. that I would just stick with my little Chaco. Well, Fran had a beautiful B.smithi for sale and I just HAD to leap and purchase T. number 2. Here she is! My photo sucks but isn't she beautiful?!

I figured I'd stared at my poor Chaco so much she was probably getting migraines from all the attention, so now I have two beautiful girls to share my attention. "Shanti," my new smithi is about 6 inches, and recently mature.

Fran also enclosed the teensiest little L. para as a surprise. I didn't know they came that tiny! I put it in a tiny glass jar, put in a smooshed cricket leg, and the sling had it all eaten out by this morning. I have a really neat old assayer's glass (a super-powerful magnifier), and when I look at the sling through that, I can see all the complex T. structures just in translucent miniature---even the leg hairs! Too cute!

Okay, enough exclamation points for one post:) :) :)

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautifull T. ! I love Smithi's , so much so that I now have two of them.

P.S You are not done buying spiders ! they are VERY addictive. I thought that I would just get a few when I started. I'm up to 18 now. {D

Medicinewolf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks!

She is just such a treat to have in the "family!" Fran told me she is not a hair kicker (which made me hesitant to own a smithi in the first place), and I've yet to see her toss a few. Even with the move to new quarters, the unloading from her travel box, she seems cool, calm, and collected. New webs are beginning to appear{D She has no interest in her hide, and is out all the time, which is a real thrill form me, as my Chaco LOVES her hide so much she rarely bothers to leave it.

Mucho happys here:D :D :D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Susan!!

From all the smithisI have ever owned, she is one of the nicest one!...I mean she has never kicked hairs to me, shes not jumpy or get scared easily like other smithis...shes a sweetheart!!

She NEVER used her hide, but always on the open webbing around and doing goofy things like moving dirt all over the place {D

Im really glad you love her!!!

PS: anyway, smithis hairs are not REALLY bad. You could get a little itch for a couple of minutes in your hands or forearms, but washing your hands a couple of times
its enought to get rid of the itch. (Except if for whatever reason you were extra sensitive to their hairs)

The worse Urticating hair is the type II, like the Theraphosa Blondi hair type.

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Uh!

That Lasiodora Parahybana will grow in no time!!! :)

You can offer her little pinhead crickets or the tiniest baby roaches, she will catch them :)

The only care you should provide her besides the feeding, is to mist her tiny enclosure every day or 2 days, to provide her with enought humidity.

Keeping this little one at a constant temerature is the way to go, the 75F-84F range will be ideal for her.

Medicinewolf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Happy Lassi!

Hey Fran! The little translucent L. para is doing well! I don't have access to tiny bugs, but I've been feeding her mature cricket legs and an abdomen. I'm going to start cutting up mealworms for her/him.

Meanwhile "Shanti," the peaceful one, is doing great. I'm getting crickets and mealworms for her tomorrow. Just wanted her to settle in a bit.

I'm totally in love....:) :) :) :)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Susan :)

I'm glad your girls are doing great!

Talking about food, the only "thing" is that most of the smithies, specially at her size , (at least all of them that I have owned) have the "rare" feeding schedule.

Shanti in particular will feed voraciously for a day, then 2 weeks without paying attention to the crickets...And whenever is least expected, feed again!
Thats just the way they are most of the times.

So if she doesn't take any food, keep trying every day. :)