New Slings! PICS! GBB, OBT, G. pulchra

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My newest slings are here! {D {D {D

I got an 1 inch GBB, a "1+ inch" (aka 2 inches :D ) OBT, and a 1/3" G. pulchra.

Here's some pictures and info so far:

The 1" GBB is looking great! Cute sling coloring, which makes me very happy because this is a species I definitely wanted to get as a sling to watch the color changes as it grows. Climbed out of its shipping vial and onto a piece of cork bark in its cage very calmly, and is just sort of hanging out right now. Haven't come up with a name just yet, but I'll hopefully think of a good one soon. Here are a couple pictures.
Hanging Out

The flash washed this one out ALOT, but it highlighted the legs - there is already some blue to be seen! {D

The 2" OBT, who is being named Loki (appropriate for this specices I think), was quite a riot to get transferred. First, I had a cage set up for it, expecting about 1" and figuring on rehousing it when it got to around or just over 2"....well, that wasn't going to work for long term!! :razz: Luckily I had just gotten some Kritter Keepers for rehousing my L. Para when it hits 2", as well as an extra for when the GBB and when the OBT hit 2" (they were on sale, so it seemed worth getting). So I set it up in the KK. Trying to get it out was even more fun. Whenever I so much as touched the lid to the vial Loki bent almost in half backwards in a threat pose at the lid, and repeatedly struck at it! {D After some very careful loosening of the lid, and some carefully applied forceps, I finally managed to work the lid lose, and see a lightning streak of orange go flying around the KK! I had the whole thing in a rubbermaid too just in case. After a few more orange lightning streaks as I carefully removed the vial I managed to get the lid secure. :D I'm loving this little monster already! {D {D
Here are a couple pics of Loki:

The G. Pulchra is a species I've wanted since before I even got my first one. I think they are absolutely beautiful. I was very excited to be finally getting one of these - so hard to find! When I first opened the deli cup it was moving around nicely and looking good. I snapped one picture and then noticed something - there seemed to be a large indentation on the top of the slings abdomen, like a dent. I looked very closely and saw no sign of fluid leaking on the sling or on the towels in the vial. However, I decided to wait and observe for a few minutes. It moved around a bit, but then seemed to start tucking its feet under it as it moved around, finally settling in a half curl. (And no, the legs weren't covering the carapace at all for hiding, the bottom segments of the legs were pointing in toward the sling and it was sitting on the outside of the leg, not the foot part.) I decided to put it in an ICU with some dampened towels in case it might just be dehydrated in hopes that it may recover. With so few of these showing up it would be really sad to lose this baby. :( I'm not getting my hopes up alot, it is still sitting half curled on the towels. Its in a dark warm spot though, so I've done all I can I think. Not sure what happened, but I think with it seeming OK at first it was likely something during my unpacking, not something it was sent with. :( :wall: Hopefully it'll recover...

I am still quite happy with my transaction with the seller though. All the slings (even the pulchra, before the dent was noticed) looked well fed and healthy, and were packed extremely well! Double boxed with insulation, heat pack, and lots of cushioning. The OBT was bigger than advertised (not by enough to make it a bad thing, definitely a bonus! :D ). I also ordered some dubia from them, I ordered 10, and easily got 20+ of them in there, excellent overcount! {D My colony may be approaching the point where I might be willing to start feeding them (its still being started up, don't want to hurt it by feeding too many off too early!). All in all, it was a great deal, still hoping the pulchra makes it.

rochin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow they are pretty!! i wish you the best of luck! with your g pulchra!! :)

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The dent in the G. pulchra's abdomen (which was about as big (diameter and depth) as its carapace, seems to have filled back in after sitting in the ICU. It still seems to be sitting in a half curl (feet still pointed in and sitting on the tops of them), but she is moving her legs a bit, and looks a bit better. Maybe there is some hope!!! {D

I'm going to leave her in ICU overnight at least, I'll see how she's doing the the morning though. The fact that the abdomen seems to have filled back in makes me hopeful that maybe she'll be ok! I'd been concerned after seeing her look like that that she might be a goner, so hope is good. If she continues to improve I should be able to get her moved into her vial and get some better pics of her soon!

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As of this morning the g. pulchra sling is sitting normally, not curled at all, and I can't see where the dent was anymore - all filled in. It is still moving very sluggishly (then again, it is a grammy, a sling, but a grammy nonetheless), but seems to be alive and mobile. I decided to give it the option (being a grammy and all) of not having to sit on the damp towels anymore, so I moved it on a chunk of the damp towel into its vial, with about half of the substrate left exposed. When I checked on the sling a bit later it had walked over and was sitting on the substrate. I saw this as a good sign and pulled out the towel, and made sure half the vial was well moistened for it to get water from, but left it on the dry part. I'm thinking it may recover!! {D {D {D

I've heard a few times of a 'wrinkled' abdomen in dehydrated individuals - is it possible for this to look like a 'dent' in the top of it? Maybe this little one just needed some water...dunno. Very young looking T - I will try to get some pictures up, I don't think its past 2nd instar at most. But seems to be doing much better, so I'm quite happy now!!! I hope it continues to get better - I'm very excited about getting this species!!!

The OBT and GBB are both still settling in - the OBT thinks its arboreal - its been sitting in the upper corner of its enclosure since it stopped zipping around after I put it in. I'm sure it will settle down eventually once its had some time to get used to being in there. The GBB has found a spot to sit in on the side of a piece of cork bark on the substrate, and has planted itself there. Again, I think it will be alot more active once it has had a bit of time to settle in.

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sucessful recovery!

I have to admit, I was not hopeful when the pulchra sling was sitting with its legs tucked under it last night, being very sluggish and unresponsive. But ICU worked its magic and this evening it is active (well, as active as I expect a sling to be from my comparisons to my brachy and g. aureo slings), and not curled at all!! YAY!!!{D {D {D So it called for a photo session to get a good picture of the sling.

So here's my new G. Pulchra!

And a picture with a dime to show how small it is. Half the enclosure is damp and half is dry to give her the option but also make sure hydration is easily accessible.:

I'm so happy its doing well now!! I was a bit bummed at the idea of losing such a hard to find species so fast. But a good bounce back, now to sit back and enjoy watching and waiting for her to grow (heh, at this size it may be a few years before I get to see that nice velvety black, but it will be worth it!!) :D

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome job. I would love a G Pulchra. It is definately on the list.

LasidoraGT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would LOVE a pulchra, the closest thing I have to that is a B.vagans, jet black with a red butt not just jet black like the pulchra is. If i could get a 2-3incher for under 100$ I'd jump on that cept it wont ever happen:(

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, G. pulchra is really hard to find! I was very excited to see the listing for the tiny guys I got one of, and even more excited when I asked and the seller actually had some left! (It seems like most of the listings I've seen, even if I contact them withing a couple hours they've already been sold!)

Its a tiny little one (not even sure if its big enough that its eating yet, or if it needs another molt before it starts eating...but its fat and happy, so I'm not TOO worried about its eating habits at the moment), but its a pulchra! {D {D {D

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm SO happy about the news on your pulchra kiddo! (nice other additions, tooo!)

At this size, it will indeed eat pinheads..but it looks pretty well fed, already...
He/she will also zip around pretty un-grammy like once it's fully recovered. These slings are a riot! I play with our littlest guy/gal "Sugar" just about every day. Sugar comes straight to the sound of my voice and climbs up on my finger as if he/she is a lap dog....an extremely sociable T.! :D
You are absolutely going to l.o.v.e. this species.....

Congratulations, Hon!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elvira, Jet, Mojo, Herman and Sugar all send their congratulations, too. !!

You'll soon be signing cards and letters with your new kid's name on them, too. They become family members in no time at all..! :)

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You'll soon be signing cards and letters with your new kid's name on them, too. They become family members in no time at all..! :)

:eek: :eek: I'm going to need an extra card to fit all these names soon!! Between the 5 kitties, the ratty (1 currently since his brother died, but soon to be 3 since he has a couple nephews that are coming down from MI to live with him!), the 2 boas, and the now 17 Ts (not even going to count the fish in the 3 aquariums, especially since one is livebearers), I'm not going to have room to sign for all of them! LOL {D

As for behavior, yeah, my g. aureo sling zips about quite a bit, so I'd imagine the g. pulchra will too. I'm just happy to see it willingly moving around on its own without being 'encouraged' to do so by me, and not sitting with its feet tucked under it and legs curling in. Seems to be doing well now, which is excellent!

So for Halloween week I got an OBT (orange) and a G. pulchra (black...eventually). {D Plus, the GBB which seems to be one of those that changes colors as it grows - which also seems to fit a bit. I like my halloween presents to myself! :D (makes a great excuse at least, lol)

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fun thread, great pics! Congrats!

I esp. like the last baby portrait!