New Slings Enroute -- Housing Questions

NinjaKittyz

Arachnopeon
Hey there! I couldn't stop at one....

I have a A. geniculata (Brazilian giant white-knee), and a Cyriopagopus lividus / Haplopelma lividum (Cobalt Blue) en route from Jamie's Ts on the way, they're shipping Monday. Hopefully. Plus, I'm going to be getting 1, maybe 2, B. albopilosum - Honduran Curly Hairs. My question(s) are as follows. All are Slings, The largest would be the H. lividum at maybe .75". All are Terrestrial, which make it easier, too, and I did get the substrate from Jamies T's, too, to make my life easier. Just 2 more to get, eventually, and I'll be "set"...maybe. Anyways!

For housing the A. geniculata is coming w/ a Terrestrial Spiderling Enclosure. It's 2.25 sq x 4.25". Clearly that's going to be large enough for a .25"-.33" sling. I picked up some "tupperware" from Walmart that I'm going to be using a soldering iron to ventilate, and use ultra fine sandpaper to smooth it out so no risk of rough edges. They're in the pics below with the sizes on said pics. Is it better to have them in something they can "grow" into, or move them later on? I don't know if having them in something a bit larger is more or less stressful than moving them later on, and with the larger ones (not going to lie) my kitten isn't able to knock them off. (I know, don't let the cat near them... I have 1 room to myself for me, my animals, and thats it. And well... she's a cat, they climb. So far, she's left Luna, my A. Avicularia alone.)

35932330_2155280857822224_2110963360693485568_n.jpg

Substrate won't be a problem, nor will water, and I've ordered flightless fruitflies from Flukers as there is NO where near me (All I have is Petsmart...) to get food that will be small enough for slings that little. I have "decor" (plants, rock hides that can't top or fall and smoosh anyone, water bottle caps) already, I "THINK" I have everything setup and ready for them.

Am I missing anything?

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I like the Jaimie’s sling enclosures, but even those are a little large.

I can’t seem to find the 4oz deli cups that everyone here raves about in lots of less than 1 million, when a dozen would do.

I stole one of these from the Tupperware drawer, and may get a few more at the local grocery store....

81F27E2C-1A20-4A6B-8E0E-0C709295BFB7.jpeg

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Substrate won't be a problem, nor will water, and I've ordered flightless fruitflies from Flukers as there is NO where near me (All I have is Petsmart...) to get food that will be small enough for slings that little. I have "decor" (plants, rock hides that can't top or fall and smoosh anyone, water bottle caps) already, I "THINK" I have everything setup and ready for them.

Am I missing anything?
You are over thinking it. Small deli cups will do the job. Poke holes for ventilation. Rehouse when they get too big. When you have larger spiders (3 inch and up), then think about permanent enclosures. When housing a sling, the smaller the enclosure, the easier to maintain and observe. I also suggest you put the containers/enclosures where the cat cant reach.

Petsmart should have mealworms, perfectly fine for slings, just cut them into pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i wouldn't put holes until i see the slings. IME soldering iron works great but smallest hole i make with it is probably about .093" which is bigger than i would be comfortable with some of my smaller slings.

I didn't read the paper (meant to but got distracted) about a study done on feeding fruit flies to 'true' spiders (i forget the species) and in summary they were insuficant to use exclusively as a diet (not to mention a pain in the butt). A prekilled cricket or mealworm from petsmart will be fine.

I believe that cobalt blue is a fossorial soecies not terrestrial (Somebody please jump in if i am mistaken). Also on a side note, the cobalt blue is generally considered TERRIBLE as a beginner tarantula. i haven't had one yet but they are a suposed to be cranky, quick to strike, and have a very painful bite.

NinjaKittyz

Arachnopeon
I also suggest you put the containers/enclosures where the cat cant reach.
I have, no joke, tried putting things where TC (The Cat, that's her name) can't get them, On top of a closet, in my dresser, ontop of my sewing closet, and she can find a way into it, on it, under it, etc. TC is worse than my kid.

Petsmart should have mealworms, perfectly fine for slings, just cut them into pieces.
I do have meal worms for the geckos, so I can cut them up. I didn't realize you could cut them and the slings would go after them. Good to know. Thanks!

As for the flies, if the babies don't eat them, I'm sure my friends' anoles would eat them, they weren't expensive, so if they don't like them, even as a "treat", no big loss, I know now not to get them in the future.

I believe that cobalt blue is a fossorial species not terrestrial (Somebody please jump in if i am mistaken). Also on a side note, the cobalt blue is generally considered TERRIBLE as a beginner tarantula. i haven't had one yet but they are a suposed to be cranky, quick to strike, and have a very painful bite.
From what I've read, it (the info) says terrestrial, which is why I said it. But! Looking at photos, I'm inclined to agree with you, they do always look to be in a burrow or tunnel or some sort. I've never been one to back away from a challenge, I'll keep what you said in mind, and be exceptionally careful when it's moved from point a to point b. If I were a less... stubborn or perhaps smarter person, I may cancel the order but at this point.. The Cobalt and the Antilles Pink (Don't have it yet... ) are the two species that drew me in, finding one was purely a happy coincidence, and the price was great.

Also, rather than the iron, I can use push-pins to make the holes in the smaller containers, and put them into a secured larger container that TC can't knock over. They'll likely all be sitting by Luna so I can watch them while gaming.

Thanks for all the info! :D

NinjaKittyz

Arachnopeon
The soldering iron holes will be too big for the A.geniculata sling from Jamie's. Mine arrived today and housed in a 2oz deli cup, which is easily big enough for it. I made holes in the container and lid with a safety pin.
Do you mind my asking "what" it came in? Was it the 2oz deli or something else? I'm just curious so I know what to expect. First time ordering ANY animal (Acrno, Herp, Mammal or otherwise) from online.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Hey there! I couldn't stop at one....

I have a A. geniculata (Brazilian giant white-knee), and a Cyriopagopus lividus / Haplopelma lividum (Cobalt Blue) en route from Jamie's Ts on the way, they're shipping Monday. Hopefully. Plus, I'm going to be getting 1, maybe 2, B. albopilosum - Honduran Curly Hairs. My question(s) are as follows. All are Slings, The largest would be the H. lividum at maybe .75". All are Terrestrial, which make it easier, too, and I did get the substrate from Jamies T's, too, to make my life easier. Just 2 more to get, eventually, and I'll be "set"...maybe. Anyways!

For housing the A. geniculata is coming w/ a Terrestrial Spiderling Enclosure. It's 2.25 sq x 4.25". Clearly that's going to be large enough for a .25"-.33" sling. I picked up some "tupperware" from Walmart that I'm going to be using a soldering iron to ventilate, and use ultra fine sandpaper to smooth it out so no risk of rough edges. They're in the pics below with the sizes on said pics. Is it better to have them in something they can "grow" into, or move them later on? I don't know if having them in something a bit larger is more or less stressful than moving them later on, and with the larger ones (not going to lie) my kitten isn't able to knock them off. (I know, don't let the cat near them... I have 1 room to myself for me, my animals, and thats it. And well... she's a cat, they climb. So far, she's left Luna, my A. Avicularia alone.)

View attachment 278828

Am I missing anything?
Just use delicups.
Ditch the fruit flies there an absolute pain to work with and give little nutrition to the T. Maybe if you can hold back on the h. Lividus since it’s an advanced species and is pretty aggressive and skittish. Keep them more moist then you would with adults and give them about 3 inches of substrate as they all dig as slings for the most part. Instead of fruit flies use pinhead/small crickets or just cricket legs or mealworms diced up

Malo

Arachnopeon
Do you mind my asking "what" it came in? Was it the 2oz deli or something else? I'm just curious so I know what to expect. First time ordering ANY animal (Acrno, Herp, Mammal or otherwise) from online.
She sends slings in these containers, wrapped in slightly moist paper towel.

IMG_20180623_005525.jpg

Malo

Arachnopeon
As a side note, Cyriopagopus lividus is one of the first species that actually drew me into the hobby a couple of years ago but I'm only now starting out with my own specimens. However, it's probably going to be another year or two before I consider tackling an Old World, especially something like C.lividus. Good luck there :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is one of your first Ts a Cobalt Blue? It seems that way, if so a super super POOR choice. One of the worst actually.

However, considering it burrows, you need something deep as it grows, and have fun rehousing it! Just don't put it in something shallow, with a narrow mouth. That would not be good for you.

It's a wildly unpredictable species, so giving it more space than most would for other Ts is essential. I do that for all fast species, except I. mira.