New slings coming in 2 days.....need critique of enclosures, please

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!! I ordered some new slings and they are being shipped tomorrow, will be here on Thursday. I've made an enclosure for each of them and wanted to hear any advice on how to improve them or if they are good enough. They are each labeled as to what is going in them, but just in case you can't read my handwriting well, they are......Caribena versicolor, Grammostola pulchripes, Grammostola rosea, and Brachypelma hamorii. I have been watching Tom's videos and reading as much as I can on the boards about these species so I hope that I've set their enclosures up well. Thanks for looking at them! Oh and the size of the deli cups are 16 oz and the tall one is 32 oz. The slings are all 1/2" or maybe slightly larger.
20180227_181009.jpg 20180227_181025.jpg 20180227_181039.jpg 20180227_181048.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
You've done your research ;). You got it together, I watch Tom's housing videos once in a while if I get bored. Great job and enjoy your new T.'s

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
Thank you Venom! I was measuring everything, making sure that there is not more than 1 1/2inches of space between the substrate and the top of the enclosure on the small ones and there's 4 inches height in the larger cup. I'm wanting to make sure I do this right. My A. Avic seems to be doing awesome but my husband's was just sitting on the bottom of her enclosure because it was half the height of mine. I told him to make one like mine and he did and rehoused her and now she's up towards the top and even webbed up a little. I'm learning a ton off these boards! Thank you all so much for the information you share on here!

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
Thank you Liquifin! I have been non stop researching before and after ordering my new T's. I want everything to be right.....I'm such a perfectionist haha

cold blood

Staff member
Versi looks fantastic.

While the others aren't bad and will work, IMO you would be better off with just a condiment cup. IME (Ive experimented with hundreds of NW terrestrial slings) larger enclosures lead to more hiding, like excessive hiding (and a t that's harder, if not impossible to monitor)...which leads to less aggressive eating, which in turn leads to slower growth...much slower growth.

Keeping them is a small condiment cup means less burrowing (as minimal burrowing room is available) and in this case, slings tend to adopt the entire enclosure as their "burrow"...which means less, or no burrowing...which makes the sling easier to monitor, and keeps them eating more aggressively and growing faster. I generally don't move them into what you have until they are over 1".

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
Thank you cold blood for the advice. I don't have any condiment cups but I do have 8 oz deli cups, I just thought they were too short. Would they be better?

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you cold blood for the advice. I don't have any condiment cups but I do have 8 oz deli cups, I just thought they were too short. Would they be better?
Just go to a fast food place and get a couple condiment cups...they're not hard to locate.

An 8oz is a little better...better because it reduces burrowing opportunities....plus you could add a water dish, which is always nice.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
If you have trouble at any fast food place, because the ones i go to I can't seem to find any, go to any bulk food store such as Costco or bulk barn. They will definitely have. @cold blood what is the species of the tarantula in the top picture, the larger sling? It looks magnificent.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1/2" @zoogirl Sure looks like you have an escape situation on all those containers. I would have made much smaller holes, like with a push-pin.

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
Looks good great job...was wondering where all my bottle caps and fake plants went..;) j/k.
Your bottle caps? I believe I was the one who dug all those bottles out of the back seat of the car and removed the caps LOL! I'll admit to stealing the fake plants and cork bark though hee hee :)

1/2" @zoogirl Sure looks like you have an escape situation on all those containers. I would have made much smaller holes, like with a push-pin.
Really? Oh crap.....ok, umm looks like I better make some new ones then

Last edited by a moderator:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Thank you Venom! I was measuring everything, making sure that there is not more than 1 1/2inches of space between the substrate and the top of the enclosure on the small ones and there's 4 inches height in the larger cup. I'm wanting to make sure I do this right. My A. Avic seems to be doing awesome but my husband's was just sitting on the bottom of her enclosure because it was half the height of mine. I told him to make one like mine and he did and rehoused her and now she's up towards the top and even webbed up a little. I'm learning a ton off these boards! Thank you all so much for the information you share on here!
Your enclosures look great, they'll look so much better when the spiders are in there, great job and looking forward to seeing your new additions - congrats on the new spiders and the well constructed enclosures, see it's not hard (Not you OP).

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I have once ran into issues with hole size. I just taped over the ring of holes and poked appropriately siZed holes through the tape. Once they get larger tape is removed.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I have once ran into issues with hole size. I just taped over the ring of holes and poked appropriately siZed holes through the tape. Once they get larger tape is removed.
I had to do that once myself, unfortunately it took an escapee to bring it to my attention, I never found the B. albopilosum sling, fortunately I have another that's doing great....

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone!! I ordered some new slings and they are being shipped tomorrow, will be here on Thursday. I've made an enclosure for each of them and wanted to hear any advice on how to improve them or if they are good enough. They are each labeled as to what is going in them, but just in case you can't read my handwriting well, they are......Caribena versicolor, Grammostola pulchripes, Grammostola rosea, and Brachypelma hamorii. I have been watching Tom's videos and reading as much as I can on the boards about these species so I hope that I've set their enclosures up well. Thanks for looking at them! Oh and the size of the deli cups are 16 oz and the tall one is 32 oz. The slings are all 1/2" or maybe slightly larger.
View attachment 267871 View attachment 267873 View attachment 267874 View attachment 267875
Can i ask how did you get the fake plants to stick to the corkbark, because i also have a versicolor coming very soon and i want to copy this enclosure since its the best one i have actually seen. IF i cant find a way to stick some fake plants on my poor versicolor is just going to have cork bark to climb on and nothing else :(

Last edited:

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Can i ask how did you get the fake plants to stick to the corkbark, because i also have a versicolor coming very soon and i want to copy this enclosure since its the best one i have actually seen. IF i cant find a way to stick some fake plants on my poor versicolor is just going to have cork bark to climb on and nothing else :(
P.S. a glue gun isn't an option since my dad doesn't trust me with one
ask your dad to use the gun

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Honestly you seem to get the idea, all of those enclosures should be great for your new Ts.