New sling owner (Brazilian Red/white)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
She's never caused us a problem and we've had her for several months. If we need to take anything or of her tank we use the extra long lizard tweezers we got for when we needed to feed our Blondi. She's very reclusive and not aggressive unless we go at her hide. We've never had a problem with her.
I don't think you fully understand exactly what these things are capable of. They can run up even 12" tongs faster than you can react. Just one mistake can and will send you to the ER.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I don't think you fully understand exactly what these things are capable of. They can run up even 12" tongs faster than you can react. Just one mistake can and will send you to the ER.
There scary fast, There's a yt vid of a keeper transferring an H. minax and it pretty much teleported out of its cage and onto the top of a vacuum :anxious:

Last edited:

ClegernCode

Arachnopeon
Not to sound rude but I think I've owned her long enough to know her temperament and know what I'm doing. I didn't start this forum about my Cobalt I started it about my sling. I'm not an inexperienced tarantula owner, I've had 4 very different species and I know how to handle (both physically and not) them all. I really do appreciate the concern but she's not what I'm here for.

ClegernCode

Arachnopeon
that container looks suspiciously like the petco ones exoskeleton posted in a pic earlier.. give it a 16oz deli cup with a few inches of sub kept generally moist, a small water dish to help humidity, a hide and youre good. feed prekilled (or live) crickets once to four times a week,they grow very quickly.

sounds like youre taking leaps and bounds in the hobby with already having a haplo and a blondi. both are advanced species that can cause severe damage and pain with bites. not the best idea to have them already.. also, might i suggest posting a pic of your supposed blondi? they are a rare species and are commonly confused with closely related species, Theraphosa stirmi.
She has sadly passed. My boyfriend is more experienced on them than I am but even he doesn't have all the answers. She was a Goliath we got at Petco. She died this February sadly so it doesn't really matter what kind she was anymore. That's just what they had her labled as. More than likely she was a Stirmi(I just looked up the difference) I have always just referenced them by their given names not their species or scientific names.

ClegernCode

Arachnopeon
I hate to admit it but this was one of my favorite pictures of our Goliath. Her name was Shelob and she lived up to it. She's all up in arms because I had tried to take her water dish out to wash it(she liked to fill it with dirt). This was about a month or so before she died.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Look, the only reason we ask is because 4 tarantulas is not a lot. I have 12, but all of them are OW Aside from 2, meaning I deal with feisty angry OW all the time. Haplopelma lividum is literally the worst OW to have without a lot of experience, and that's why we worry.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
She has sadly passed. My boyfriend is more experienced on them than I am but even he doesn't have all the answers. She was a Goliath we got at Petco. She died this February sadly so it doesn't really matter what kind she was anymore. That's just what they had her labled as. More than likely she was a Stirmi(I just looked up the difference) I have always just referenced them by their given names not their species or scientific names.
sorry to hear. Ts can really grow on you after a while, nomatter what people say. i do however HIGHLY recommend learning and using the scientific names. they are pretty much required to be taken seriously and so people know what youre talking about. :)

ClegernCode

Arachnopeon
Look, the only reason we ask is because 4 tarantulas is not a lot. I have 12, but all of them are OW Aside from 2, meaning I deal with feisty angry OW all the time. Haplopelma lividum is literally the worst OW to have without a lot of experience, and that's why we worry.
I appreciate the worry it show you all care. My first one was the pink toe and my second (cared for with my boyfriend) was the Goliath. Our Cobalt is very very calm especially for her species. I am aware of the consciences of owning them and what comes with them. I know if I get bit it's my own fault and it's a real possibility.

ClegernCode

Arachnopeon
sorry to hear. Ts can really grow on you after a while, nomatter what people say. i do however HIGHLY recommend learning and using the scientific names. they are pretty much required to be taken seriously and so people know what youre talking about. :)
Ok :) I'm a "casual" owner. To all my friends I call them the fuzzy dumplings but I'll do better on here.

cold blood

Staff member
FYI, it was almost certainly not a blondi...often pet stores sell other species as blondi, some aren't even actually close to being Theraposa, many are stirmi, which is what I would guess you had. Good thing about them is that 1. they are nearly identical to blondi in appearance. 2. They are hardier. True blondi are ridiculously scarce and ungodly expensive...stirmi are just expensive:)

You should enjoy your new little chromatus, they really are one of my favorite slings to raise. they have great appetites, fast growth and you get to slowly watch the colors and bands come in, which makes molts even more potentially exciting. Prior to molting they tend not to fast much and they recover quickly from molts as well. Mealworm pieces are great and readily accepted, once it reaches an inch or a little more, wax worms are another great, easy feeder....mealworms can be refrigerated and last many months and are a nice feeder to keep on hand when you have smaller ts.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I appreciate the worry it show you all care. My first one was the pink toe and my second (cared for with my boyfriend) was the Goliath. Our Cobalt is very very calm especially for her species. I am aware of the consciences of owning them and what comes with them. I know if I get bit it's my own fault and it's a real possibility.
are you sure its a real H. Lividum? pet stores are notorious for mislabeling Ts, and every lividum ive seen is nothing short of satan.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
are you sure its a real H. Lividum? pet stores are notorious for mislabeling Ts, and every lividum ive seen is nothing short of satan.
The one time I saw a lividum, one girl working there kept spiders herself and actually knew what to do, ignoring store policy. She laughed at the whole sponge thing and when I noticed the rosea they had wet sub and it was stressed, she went and changed it immediately. The lividum was not like my longipes (fangs pressed against the tank half the time when I walk by in a threat posture) but certainly a big grump.

louise f

Arachnoangel

Of course we care, we all want the best for our spiders. Listening to what people say, you are gonna do great, and get far.
There is a lot of great people in here giving great advises. ;)

And BTW welcome to a super great hobby and welcome aboard ;)

Walter1

Arachnosquire
FYI, it was almost certainly not a blondi...often pet stores sell other species as blondi, some aren't even actually close to being Theraposa, many are stirmi, which is what I would guess you had. Good thing about them is that 1. they are nearly identical to blondi in appearance. 2. They are hardier. True blondi are ridiculously scarce and ungodly expensive...stirmi are just expensive:)

You should enjoy your new little chromatus, they really are one of my favorite slings to raise. they have great appetites, fast growth and you get to slowly watch the colors and bands come in, which makes molts even more potentially exciting. Prior to molting they tend not to fast much and they recover quickly from molts as well. Mealworm pieces are great and readily accepted, once it reaches an inch or a little more, wax worms are another great, easy feeder....mealworms can be refrigerated and last many months and are a nice feeder to keep on hand when you have smaller ts.
Also, a mealworm, or cricket or roach for that matter, can be ripped in pieces for the sling to eat goop from a suitably-sized piece.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The fact that you are referring to them as "breeds" and insisting on using common names is what's hinting us off that you are not ready for an H. lividum. As other have said, I'm legitimately not trying to be rude, but recent occurrences have us all on edge about pet store tarantula sales.

In all fairness, you are certainly an inexperienced tarantula owner. And there is nothing wrong with that, but you need to understand your limitations. I'm not exaggerating when I say that some of these species can kill the young, sick, or elderly.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Haplopelma have the worst venom out of any tarantula genus, and they are actually aggressive, chasing down attackers and biting them repeatedly, injecting much more than an average dosage of venom.
Who said that? The worst? Genus Poecilotheria (you know those pretty well) Pterinochilus murinus, Pelinobius muticus, H.maculata, S.calceatum, the 'Aussie' and certain Asians (near to 'Aussie' land somewhat) are the most potent 'per se' IMO.

While you are right, indeed, about 'Haplos' injecting more venom, it's not rare (i've witnessed that) to see drops of venom from their fangs while those are into extremely pissed off "mode", i say that only H.hainanum could compete with those mentioned prior.

S.calceatum (a literally! flying 'Baboon' that sadly not everyone seems to "respect" well, and treat those like "normal" arboreals, lol) full grow 0.1 bite on the neck is able to put the lights off.

I still have the chills if i think about a transfer i've made with a friend a lot of years ago (i wasn't into 'Baboons' back then, but had under my belt genus Psalmopoeus "speed" experience, at least) and all of a sudden, we was chasing a bolt, a bolt, lol, on the walls, always high strung.

Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ :angelic: there's a reason if man eating African wild predators doesn't share lightly the same tree with those, ah ah.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
When I say worst venom mister Baboon, I meant with the fact that they inject way more than needed. When feeding mine, I noticed they lazily walk over, and them jab their fangs into prey multiple times, killing it with the first bite, but ensuring death. I did not mean by potency, there I'd say baboons or P. ornata win.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
When I say worst venom mister Baboon, I meant with the fact that they inject way more than needed. When feeding mine, I noticed they lazily walk over, and them jab their fangs into prey multiple times, killing it with the first bite, but ensuring death. I did not mean by potency, there I'd say baboons or P. ornata win.
I'm not 'mister Baboon', lol, even if those 'eight legged cavemans' are so lovely and special to me, and no doubts, 'Haplo' venom isn't a joke, uh, man.

Just saying :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Our Cobalt is very very calm especially for her species.
Yeah... don't (never) let your guard, your attention, down, when dealing with those. They are "Masters" into the art of "let's fall the keeper into a false sense of security".