Species Poecilotheria striata

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Freshly molted and looking good, just to bad the purple on the carapace and the orange hairs on the legs and abdomon don't show in the pic. Greg

Attachments

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey nice colors on that pokie. I have to ask, how do you get such a spider to cooperate and not bite you like I hear they are likely to do? I would like to get a pokie some day when I have enough experience but those bite reports really spook me. Yet I keep seeing these photos of people with P. regalis etc etc. Is there a method or something to keeping a happy pokie?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mostly has to do with your handling skills and confidence and accepting the risk involved, those bit reports are very scary and the last thing I want is to be bit by one of these guys, but the reputation these guys get for being aggressive is false, they are more shy and timid unless of course you are a roach or a cricket. These guys really do not scare me at all but they do have my respect. Maybe this will all change when or if I ever get bit but until then I am willing to take that small risk to see these beauties up close every now and then. Greg

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
good lookin pokie you got there Greg...looks pretty darn big to...very nice T is it male or female??

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Female @ a good 6-1/2" maybe 7+", I put the measureing tape next to her and was right at 6-1/2" and she was not laying flat so there could have been another 1/2+ there. Greg

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This 4" sweetie molted yesterday.I was unable to sex it because the old skin had a hole right where I needed to see.Maybe next time. :wall:

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi bluerich74,

very nice, very nice! I don't have P. striata, but I think the folio trick will do here well, as on other pokies as well. If so... then You have a female. If not, please correct me!

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
priZZ said:
Hi bluerich74,

very nice, very nice! I don't have P. striata, but I think the folio trick will do here well, as on other pokies as well. If so... then You have a female. If not, please correct me!
Im hoping youre right. {D

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She is very pretty. u arent worried bout a bite? I didnt think u could improve on Pokies, but she has a $20. :p

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
She is very pretty. u arent worried bout a bite? I didnt think u could improve on Pokies, but she has a $20. :p
If I don't bite her why would she want to bite me :p

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aww man, wad a beauty! i wished my regalis will allow me to do that... wont try it when she bit my friend ;|

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looks great. My p. regalis is getting quite big now. Has grown about 2.5 inches in the past 6 months and molted 3 times.