New Scorpion

P.Murinus

Arachnopeon
I just bought an Emperor scorpion, I put it in its new habitat, and it looks like its freaking out, its trying to climb the walls and its using its tail as a lever!(kinda cute with the tail though)
What is it doing???
It dug itself a shallow burrow, and I realived that I didnt have enough substrate in with it! Im going to go put more substrate in right now...
BTW... this is my first... :8o

Help?

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the climbing thing u see is normal. after a while he'll get used to it.

P.Murinus

Arachnopeon
I just put in more substrate... its about 4 in on one side, the slopes down to about 2 in, couldnt put 4 in all over because its only a tuperware type container, not enough room... right now i have a waterdish and a habihut, with peatmoss substrate... is this what i should have?
maybe i should have stuck with my spiders.. lol

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did you give it a hide?
They will be like that for a few days until they settle into their new environment. Keep the peat moist. Look at the thread Frequently Asked Questions, it's a sticky at the index page. It will show you how to set up an Emp enclosure. I also have a picture of mine in the Scorpion Enclosure Thread at the top.

Welcome to the world of scorps. They are awesome!!! :)

P.Murinus

Arachnopeon
Brian S said:
Did you give it a hide?
They will be like that for a few days until they settle into their new environment. Keep the peat moist. Look at the thread Frequently Asked Questions, it's a sticky at the index page. It will show you how to set up an Emp enclosure. I also have a picture of mine in the Scorpion Enclosure Thread at the top.

Welcome to the world of scorps. They are awesome!!! :)
The habihut is a hide... kind of a half hollowed out piece of wood

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey P. Murinus, I dont think you should have stuck with your spiders. It took my female emperor over 2 weeks to settle in. Acually I use the whole climbing up the wall thing to my advantage and took her out to play everytime she wanted out of her enclosure. She got used to her home and is happy as can be. When she settles in, she'll be using her hide alot though. :p

Bort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep, my emperor did the same thing. I wish he still did, 'cause then maybe I'd see him once in awhile...

-Bort

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My scorp did the climb thing. I figure it's like if someone dumped us in a locked box, we'd probably try our damndest to climb out, then after a while realize there's no escape and make do with the conditions. Kind of like a metaphor for society.

Stardust

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm..that seems like a common thing among scorpions..mine did the same too when it was first introduce into it's enclosure.Rest assure , it will fit it eventually.... {D Nice point NYbirdEater. What a comparison....

P.Murinus

Arachnopeon
I think it has finally calmed down... how do you know when they are mature and how do you sex them?