New scorp ... red claw

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rescued this nice P. cavimanusis yesterday from some pet shop.
Was kept on the ... SAND without any water!!! :eek:
He (actually I think it's she) was drinking for 1/2 h.

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice scorp!
My P. cavimanus is without a doubt my most favourite scorp (at the moment!)
It is an extremely active species, always seems to be doing some acrobatics in its box. I often find it hanging onto the screen lid by its claws. Does yours have an attitude problem? Mine is by far the most aggressive scorp I have in my collection. It makes Hadrurus look like a wuss. This one will turn to face you, claws and sting held high. If you go behind it, it will rapidly turn 180* to face you again.

Arachnida

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Richard_uk
Does yours have an attitude problem?

I know mine does. He's the most aggressive scorpion I own....and I only keep aggressive scorpions (until I get my flat rock, anyway).
In his book "Scorpions: a complete pet owner's manual" (you know, the book we all probably have, lol), Manny Rubio wrote that the red claws are aggressive when compared to their close relatives, the Emperors. In my experience, though, they are extremely aggressive when compared to pretty much anything. They - or at least mine - will not go run and hide when it feels threatened. It'll stand it's ground and attack instead.

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, mine is very calm and shows no aggression (yet).
I guess he/she is still stressed after being kept in desert bone-dry environment.
Probably still cant believe the conditions changed for much better... ;)

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh Red Claws are the coolest.....

:p I have had a pair of big RedClaws now for over three years and they are still chugging along in my collection.I feed them mostly on crickets with the occasional deathhead roach or pinky mouse...they are good feeders and display moderately aggressive behavior but after 3 years of having them right next to my bed I have ceased to think of them as inverts and sort of regard them as my buddies...they are also easy as pie to deal with when I clean their enclosure...oh yeah, they raise their claws and jab with their telsons but what the hey...they ARE scorpions...I just laugh at them.I scoot them into a canister for a few minutes, do whatever I have to with their enclosure and then plop them back in.They are a snap.I keep them very warm and humid and so far so good.I love em....

The Evil Spider Hunter

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
we got one sent to us as an emporer scorp, but I could tell by the attitude what it was. so yeah big difference. but ours won't eat for some reason do you think it may be getting ready to molt? its only about two inches so i figured it was, what do you think?

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most scorps will fatten right up to store energy for moulting. The main way to tell if an immature scorp is ready to melt is when it looks beluga style with the top of the tergite seperated to the max. Basically if they did eat they`d burst! Just make sure your temp and humidities are correct so it will fly through its moult with ease.

Mat