new Rose hair Tarantula

Magic Coco

Arachnopeon
I just bought a rose hair tarantula. I've been collecting scorpions for a long time now as a hobby, but this is my first tarantula. I drove an hour to New Hampshire today because I was bored and wanted to go to my favorite pet store in Seabrook to get a new scorpion as my buthacus died recently. They only had 1 scorpion in stock and it was mislabeled as a Red Claw Emperor for $39.99. I'm not sure what species it was exactly, but it definitely wasn't a Red Claw Emperor, and certainly not worth 40 bucks, so in a weak moment I bought a rose hair tarantula for $19.99. As stated, I am a total newbie to tarantulas, but I've been told rose hair is the best way to go for beginners

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Indeed they are good beginners :) a G. rosea (rose hair scientific name) was my first T. I did all kinds of moronic things with her: flooded her enclosure, dropped her on her back, put my bare hand in her enclosure, poked her abdomen, overfed her. Anyway, I learned a lot from her, she's been great

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
There is a sticky thread at the top of the Tarantula Questions and Discussions subforum that will tell you everything you need to know about your new G. rosea/porteri. Dry substrate that is deep enough to keep the T from falling and injuring itself. Provide a water dish and a hide. Do not worry if it does not eat for extended periods of time, they are known to fast. They are also known to be moody, so if it seems docile one day don't be surprised if it throws a threat posture the next. Every tarantula has its' own individual personality. Congratulations on your new friend and welcome to the addiction.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I just bought a rose hair tarantula. I've been collecting scorpions for a long time now as a hobby, but this is my first tarantula. I drove an hour to New Hampshire today because I was bored and wanted to go to my favorite pet store in Seabrook to get a new scorpion as my buthacus died recently. They only had 1 scorpion in stock and it was mislabeled as a Red Claw Emperor for $39.99. I'm not sure what species it was exactly, but it definitely wasn't a Red Claw Emperor, and certainly not worth 40 bucks, so in a weak moment I bought a rose hair tarantula for $19.99. As stated, I am a total newbie to tarantulas, but I've been told rose hair is the best way to go for beginners
Its A way for beginners, its not a bad route and because of their availability, how may of us started out. Truth is, there are lots of species that make better starters, mostly because rose hair t's are exceptionally quirky and take their time with everything...add on a huge propensity for long, often seemingly random fasting episodes and they can really leave a newbie worrying unnecessarily. Search around here, there is more info on this species available here than any other species I can think of.

Bottom line, dry substrate, always dry...water dish, a hide and keep the height of the enclosure down to the point where potentially falling distance is no more than 1.5X the DSL of the t.

Slow growth and long life also mean low food requirements. Two or three, four feedings a month tops are all that's needed, it will get fat, even on this seemingly meager feeding schedule. One good size cricket per feeding. If it doesn't eat relatively quickly take it out. I give it a few attempts, others leave the prey in overnight. Either way, if its not eaten, it should be removed.

There is no humidity or heat requirements, I say this because pet stores often like to pad their bottom line by selling heat pads, thermometers, hygrometers and worst of all, sponges for the water. None of these items are of any benefit, except to the store's bottom line..actually they can all be a detriment in the long run (exception being the thermometer). If you're comfortable, so will be the spider. This species in particular can handle temps in the 60's without issue and even deal with 50's for periods of time.

Don't panic when it goes weeks or months without eating, its perfectly normal. Mine has gone over a year without food, others have had fasts as long as 2+ years.

Welcome to the hobby, i'll take a t over a scorp any day as the variety of t's is almost endless.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
NewAgePrimal said:
They are also known to be moody, so if it seems docile one day don't be surprised if it throws a threat posture the next.
Nah, G. rosea threat displays are a myth, all they really want is a high-five and a hug! ;) :D

She didn't get that water-dish filled at that moment.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My G porteri is a lot meaner than, Rosea. Never had a threat display from pink true Rosea. Maybe she is just always in a good mood.