New projects!!!

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Besides having strong colonies of Eublaberus prosticus, Blaberus discoidales, and Blaptica dubia, I'm now starting colonies of "True" Blaberus craniifer, Blaberus fusca, Blaberus parabolices, and Archimandrita tesselata pictured below. Lots of roaches!!!
James

Attachments

LindsayMarie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi James,

Long time, no talk :razz: How have you been?

Wow! You are going to have your hands full over there with all those roaches!

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It has been a while.

How is your dubia colony doing? I saw you got rid of all the climbers. Although they breed fast I've learned over the years thats its worth the time and investment to build non-climbing colonies. I can clean a bin of thousands of dubia in no time at all, compaired to endless hour with the lobsters. They are easy to pick out the ones I want for feeding, and best of all they are not running around the room. I still have a few more on my list of non-climbers I'm going to get. Here is a picture of one of my babies this year. I really think a solid healthy food source is the key to successful breeding. Email me sometime.
James

Attachments

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Hey James!

You'll be up to your ears in roaches this time next year! :) I've always wondered how people did cage maintainance with the climbers... seemed like it would be a royal pain. I'm glad I ended up going with those B. dubia from you instead of lobsters now... I've got another couple of months until things explode for me, but we're getting there :)

I've gotten bit by the roach bug, I gotta admit... I would love several more colonies, but I'd have to go into business as I just don't have enough animals to feed them to. :)

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yup....just started a B. Craniifer colony too.....now I just ordered a dozen Peppered roaches from roachman. I think the peppered will be a good one too...big...maybe towards 3 inches and don't climb. :D

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Bob said:
Yup....just started a B. Craniifer colony too.....now I just ordered a dozen Peppered roaches from roachman. I think the peppered will be a good one too...big...maybe towards 3 inches and don't climb. :D
They'll be nice and meaty, but it will take like 2 years before you have a sustainable colony going... I've heard they are a bit s-l-o-w. Keep em at 95 degrees and see what happens :)

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:
They'll be nice and meaty, but it will take like 2 years before you have a sustainable colony going... I've heard they are a bit s-l-o-w. Keep em at 95 degrees and see what happens :)
I hear the same thing....slow motion....maybe I will feed them Vega Veeta vitamins or Malto meal. :D

Still faster than waiting for my G. Pulkra to mature.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Slow!!

Yeah the peppereds take about nine months to mature and females can take six months to produce. I have 100 of them (two 50 lots from different places) with about 35 adults, so I will soon know myself. Not a real feeder roach, but more of just a giant fun pet :wall: . After having my mixed Blaberus craniifer/fusca colony for some time now, I finally decided to start pure colonies of each. They true blaberus craniffer are very expensive :eek: , but if your looking for feeders the mixes are very good. Mine breed great and I still think its cool to see the mix, but lots of people want purity.
James

Just remember they have been food for 350 million years and still are around. {D

LindsayMarie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The dubia colony is doing great! I would have thousands if I didnt take them off the heat for a bit! The baby is cute and VERY healthy looking :D

By the way, I e-mailed you ;)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why jsut not use american cockroaches, the ones I find can getu p to an inch or bigger cant fly [usualy get the odd one] cant climb and breed like rabbits lol

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More Roaches!!

I'll have to have you catch me some of those. I'll give them a try after I can quarantine them. Send me an email to james.tuttle@afc.com and tell me how much. I also have lots of BW up here. Here is a picture of some dubia. Roaches are the best food item around. :}
James

Attachments

ROACHMAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don'y know what you are getting but Americans can fly and climb :? very very well

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
If you want something cool, I've got the 'white eye' Americans. Periplaneta are rather poor feeders in many respects though.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about oriental cockroaches. They breed quickly and can't fly or climb, but i've heard they are among the dirtiest of roach species

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i own some hissing cockroaches ( Gromphadorhina portentosa) and some lesser deaths head cokroaches suposidly (balberus craniifer) i like the hissing best becaus the blaberus craniifers can fly and sometime are to hard to handle. :cool: