New poster, along with a new T.

jeremyisugly

Arachnopeon
Nice to finaly speak to you all, anyhow.

I've owned a rather large wolf spider for around a year now, and after finding this place and trolling about it for a month or so, decided to get my first T.

This is my T-purchasing experience.

I knew of two locations that sold at the very minimum some type of tarantula here in the city, and the first I called said they had stopped selling them, but had a single "Rose Hair" left, I asked about the size sex and price, to which I was told "around the size of your palm, female" and "pretty cheap, around ten bucks". I went to this place, asked to see the spider, which was apparently kept in some backroom in a tiny (5.5" in diameter/2"deep?) cup of some sort, inside of another box. Keeping in mind this spider is looking close to four inches in legspan and including the fact that I pretend all animals have feelings, I decided this was very cruel and decided to look no further for my first T.

Now, some questions/odd things.

I don't think this is a female as I was told, though I truly have no idea so I'll reply to this thread with some pics in the next 36 hours or so.

In all the pictures of this species I see, their abdomens are fat and well rounded, while my spiders abdomen seems abnormaly slim comparitively. I am not sure is he was starved or dehydrated, but the moment he found his water dish in his new home he drank an amount I didn't think a spider could drink. After watching this I assumed he was probably hungry as hell, so I found the first bug I could, which happened to be the official mascot of Oklahoma, the June Bug. Now I have no idea what kind of bug this is, but there are millions of them, anyhow, my wolf eats them without a second thought, so I figured in the abscence of something bigger, it would at least sate him if he hadn't fed in a while. Well, in all I found two june bugs and a large cricket outside, and he/she demolished them all with great prejiduce.

He eats (consumes, finishes) a june bug around 13x quicker than my wolf.

Did I do bad by feeding him all this?

His enclosure is a ten gallon with a weighted screen lid, bed-a-beast is the substrate, I used the entire "40 gallon" packet so hopefully he won't hurt himself much in a fall. I have a 3.5" or so wide shallow ceramic dish for water, and a corner hide with black cardboard on the outside the tank at the opening of the hide against the wall (my wolf enjoys this).

Any tips tricks or advice you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congratulations on your purchase and i'd like to welcome you to the boards. I'll say that any replies to your questions i have are merely my opinions or how i go about things so take them with whatever value you like ;)

jeremyisugly said:
Nice to finaly speak to you all, anyhow.

I've owned a rather large wolf spider for around a year now, and after finding this place and trolling about it for a month or so, decided to get my first T.

This is my T-purchasing experience.

I knew of two locations that sold at the very minimum some type of tarantula here in the city, and the first I called said they had stopped selling them, but had a single "Rose Hair" left, I asked about the size sex and price, to which I was told "around the size of your palm, female" and "pretty cheap, around ten bucks". I went to this place, asked to see the spider, which was apparently kept in some backroom in a tiny (5.5" in diameter/2"deep?) cup of some sort, inside of another box. Keeping in mind this spider is looking close to four inches in legspan and including the fact that I pretend all animals have feelings, I decided this was very cruel and decided to look no further for my first T.

Now, some questions/odd things.

I don't think this is a female as I was told, though I truly have no idea so I'll reply to this thread with some pics in the next 36 hours or so.

In all the pictures of this species I see, their abdomens are fat and well rounded, while my spiders abdomen seems abnormaly slim comparitively. I am not sure is he was starved or dehydrated, but the moment he found his water dish in his new home he drank an amount I didn't think a spider could drink. After watching this I assumed he was probably hungry as hell, so I found the first bug I could, which happened to be the official mascot of Oklahoma, the June Bug. Now I have no idea what kind of bug this is, but there are millions of them, anyhow, my wolf eats them without a second thought, so I figured in the abscence of something bigger, it would at least sate him if he hadn't fed in a while. Well, in all I found two june bugs and a large cricket outside, and he/she demolished them all with great prejiduce.

He eats (consumes, finishes) a june bug around 13x quicker than my wolf.

Did I do bad by feeding him all this?

1. I personally would not suggest wild caugh insects due to the risk of it being exposed to pesticides or other chemicals. I might also go for an alternative such as crickets or roaches as they have a softer outter shell than what your june bug might and you can run the risk of your T damaging a fang(s).I personally have set a breeding population of roaches to accomidate feedings.

His enclosure is a ten gallon with a weighted screen lid, bed-a-beast is the substrate, I used the entire "40 gallon" packet so hopefully he won't hurt himself much in a fall. I have a 3.5" or so wide shallow ceramic dish for water, and a corner hide with black cardboard on the outside the tank at the opening of the hide against the wall (my wolf enjoys this).

2. The tank sounds good to me, there's alot of different options for substrates out there and if the bed-a-beast works for you then go for it. It does tend to not hold moisture quite as well as some alternatives but I have used it in the past with no problems. I have heard that if the bed-a-beast is kept too moist you can run into mold problems but since rosies like drier substrate you shouldn't have a problem.

3. Also if you have not found the link below it should be of some help to you with general care needs for your new T. I hope this can be of some help to you and good luck with your T. :D

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292