New poisonous spider in the united states ???????

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
The id is the only correct thing in the post. The rest is utter sensationalist hyped crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

StAugBob

Arachnopeon
I did not read it far enough. I guess crap.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
This is why I like to visit Snopes(<---LINK), for verification.

In this case, they even have a quote from the guy that wrote the original hoax back in '99.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Media hype, crap, idiocy, ignorance, etc.

Just media hype causing "mass hysteria" over a harmless little Salticidae.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
New hoax =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telamonia_dimidiata

Email hoax[edit]
Since 1999, the spider has been the subject of an email hoax claiming that it was a fatal spider found lurking under toilet seats in North Florida.[2] This hoax was a rehashing of an older email circulated in 1999 with similar claims, except under the name "South American Blush Spider (arachnius gluteus [sic])" - literally "butt spider". Similar email hoaxes (with details of the original changed here and there) have been found in other parts of the world claiming that the same thing happened in that country. Lately it has also appeared on Facebook, also including a picture of the arachnid. Posts commonly report of it being found world-round, suggesting everyone must take precautions.[3] No such events appear to have occurred, and the story is considered an urban legend.[4][5][6] The false rumor has since spread to websites such as the Abbywinters Discussion Forums, Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr in 2012.

disclaimer : Yes wiki is crap for info but this rings true.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Oh, Facebook. :sarcasm: This is an old one!

I'd really rather not know what nonsense my acquaintances and extended family are disseminating in their free time.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
More crap from Facecrack including:
"The spider was captured and brought back to the lab, where it was determined to be the Two-Striped Telamonia (Telamonia dimidiata), so named because of its reddened flesh color."

Not because it has two stripes, but because of it's colour, which is like flesh, only reddened. Added to which, the provided pictured spider is almost entirely white, save for two stripes. But yeah, it's all about the colour.

I bet every fear-monger out there missed that loverly descriptor. "It's juss like the one what bit mah cuzzin."

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
disclaimer : Yes wiki is crap for info but this rings true.
No, wiki is not crap. It requires the reader to be discerning and check the references. Not just sit and stare with mouth open as they are spoon fed BS from common media sources. And it is your responsibility! If you see a claim or statement of fact on a wiki that does not have a reference it is up to you to mark it: Citation needed! Which is better: The talking heads of the prime time news or a wiki page with several dozen scientific sources cited?

Meanwhile, leave it to the Farcebook crowd to once more resurface the butt spider. They no doubt also believe everything the prime time news tells them too. This has to be about the 10th time i've encountered this crap circulating. Doesn't anybody out in pastel colored chocolate flavored medialand think anymore?

The Snark

Old Timer
Oh, no! Hide your children from the jumping spiders!
Excellent idea. Jumpers have enough trials and tribulations without rug rats crawling around trying to smack them. They really need to make extra large critter keepers for kids.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Excellent idea. Jumpers have enough trials and tribulations without rug rats crawling around trying to smack them. They really need to make extra large critter keepers for kids.
Kidder keepers? Somebody market that, right this minute!

TheSpiderChick

Arachnopeon
God, I hate bookface
Hate the message, not the messenger...er, um....
It's not Facebook's fault that people have been passing around this ridiculous story since 1999. People need to stop hitting the "share" button without ever checking anything out. (I have an aunt that shares some stupid thing every few weeks, and I have to provide the Snopes rebuttal each time.) It is rampant. Just sayin'.

The Snark

Old Timer
It's not Facebook's fault that people have been passing around this ridiculous story since 1999. People need to stop hitting the "share" button without ever checking anything out. (I have an aunt that shares some stupid thing every few weeks, and I have to provide the Snopes rebuttal each time.) It is rampant. Just sayin'.
The sheep mentality has never been more clearly demonstrated throughout recorded history. Critical thinking has in fact become an endangered species in this social media age.

At Cal Tech many years ago a student put forth a popularist theory in a class. I don't recall what the theory was if I ever knew it.
The prof responded by handing the student the chalk and pointing to one of the boards he said "Prove it or take an F. You have the whole semester."

This incident went 'viral' so to speak. The talk of the entire campus. Subject of a major discussion among even the top tier. I believe even Stephen Hawking weighed in. The factors were, at CT, a total fail grade is suicide. Your academic career is over. Get used to inflating footballs at Bumfuk U. And of course the real deal behind the controversy; critical thinking and take nobodies popularist theory as valid without analyzing it yourself.
(And of course, don't piss off your prof. The faculty at CT-MIT didn't get into those stellar regions by swallowing BS)

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It's not Facebook's fault that people have been passing around this ridiculous story since 1999. People need to stop hitting the "share" button without ever checking anything out. (I have an aunt that shares some stupid thing every few weeks, and I have to provide the Snopes rebuttal each time.)
The best thing about Facebook is it serves as a junk e-mail sink. (Instead of my less savvy relatives e-mailing me something that can be debunked with a 5-second search of Snopes.com, they just post it to Facebook, where I don't see it.)

Critical thinking has in fact become an endangered species in this social media age.
Critical thinking has never been most people's strong point. We just didn't have as many opportunities to see that weakness laid bare until social media gave everyone a large audience.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
The best thing about Facebook is it serves as a junk e-mail sink. (Instead of my less savvy relatives e-mailing me something that can be debunked with a 5-second search of Snopes.com, they just post it to Facebook, where I don't see it.)
I never thought of this, but the way I avoid this is just by not giving my relatives any way to contact me. :/ I would say I just don't have relatives that send junk, but on actually thinking about it, I suspect that that is false...