New pet :)))

lbrit17

Arachnopeon
Okay, so here’s my situation.
I’m about to go to college, (fall semester), and I really want SOMETHING . So, I narrowed it down to a bug bc of care and cage space. So, I need advice. Are there any pet bugs (all kinds) that could HAPPILY live in something less that 8”x8” ?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, so here’s my situation.
I’m about to go to college, (fall semester), and I really want SOMETHING . So, I narrowed it down to a bug bc of care and cage space. So, I need advice. Are there any pet bugs (all kinds) that could HAPPILY live in something less that 8”x8” ?
Sure! Smaller mantises, death feigning, darkling, or ironclad beetles, hissing cockroaches or any of a number of ornamental roach species, smaller scorpions, dwarf tarantulas, some true spiders - particularly smaller ones like jumping spiders, millipedes - there are lots of things that would do well in a 8x8 or smaller. The thing you'll need to do, though, is check the pet policy of your dorm or apartment. Some places will not allow anything venomous, and some don't want any kind of bugs. If you're in an apartment, it's not quite as big a deal because you shouldn't have to worry about your privacy being invaded (unless you have roommates) - but in a dorm, they'll do fire and safety inspections (or at least they used to when I was in college) so you could get caught if you had anything you weren't supposed to.

The answer is yes, but you will be somewhat limited with a space that size. There are still tons of species of spider, scorpion and other inverts you could happily house in a small setup like that.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
With regards to dorm policy--almost everywhere does inspections, but some places are more relaxed than others. My college has a two week period for inspections each semester, which they tell you about in advance. During the inspections they can't touch anything, so one could just put one's pets under a bed or in a closet and have no problem. Other places are different, though--there are places that do inspections throughout the semester with no warning. Roommates may be your bigger concern, and having a good relationship with your roommates is very important.

Ajohnson5263

Arachnosquire
what i would to is email whoever is in charge of the residence. i emailed my dean of student affairs and asked if i could keep a vinegaroon, however, i used the scientific name. he gave me the okay, but i doubt he even bothered to look up what it was.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I managed to keep a baby corn snake in the dorm. I cleared it with my roommate first and he was cool with it. We never had any inspections, but one night there was a fire and the whole dorm had to find somewhere else to sleep for the night. We were aloud to go in for just a minute to get a change of clothes. I stuffed it’s enclosure in my backpack (I’m sure the bulge didn’t look suspicious at all...). Other than that I had no problems.

As for bugs, any dwarf tarantula would be good. I’ve also grown rather fond of the little lady pictured below.

D14C3789-CFBC-49F2-9311-FA5F40F38F23.jpeg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I managed to keep a baby corn snake in the dorm. I cleared it with my roommate first and he was cool with it. We never had any inspections, but one night there was a fire and the whole dorm had to find somewhere else to sleep for the night. We were aloud to go in for just a minute to get a change of clothes. I stuffed it’s enclosure in my backpack (I’m sure the bulge didn’t look suspicious at all...). Other than that I had no problems.
:eek: That's a crazy story. Hopefully there's never a fire, since I would need to deal with worms and salamanders...

davehuth

Arachnoknight
In smaller enclosures (depending on your population size), my inverts do better with a few extra hides and climbing structures, just in case they start feeling crowded by each other. Always being able to retreat to a perch or under a piece of bark for a little "me time" can help keep everyone happy and relaxed.

lbrit17

Arachnopeon
Thank you all! And pets aren’t a problem bc I’m renting out an apartment and I like the idea of all of your suggestions, but I really want something that’s gonna last through college 4ish years. Do any of those last that long?

squidkid

Arachnoknight
i think most Ts live that long but thats just from here, never actually had one

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Thank you all! And pets aren’t a problem bc I’m renting out an apartment and I like the idea of all of your suggestions, but I really want something that’s gonna last through college 4ish years. Do any of those last that long?
Most scorpions or tarantulas should last that long. You could probably also get away with a young individual of a larger slow growing species if it’s just four years

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
How about Kukulcania hibernalis? That is, if you're looking for spiders. Webs alot, docile, get to a decent size.

Scarlet Skies

Arachnopeon
You could get a small spider species, you could get a couple of millipedes (probably a scarlet, bumblebee, or floridobolus), you could get some isopods, or a mantis (they don't live very long)