New pet roaches!

SilverTycho

Arachnosquire
I got three new roach species today. I already had red runners and dubias as feeders so I got Kenyan roaches as feeders for my new mantids. Then, I got orange domino and question mark roaches as pets. I must say, I love these roaches!

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are pretty neat looking! Great, now you have me looking into owning yet another thing... :p

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Enjoy! Domino and question mark roaches are both very fun species to keep!

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Therea roaches are indeed something out of this world. Sometimes they are a bit of a pain because of their excellent climbing skills, but their lovely appearance makes up for everything :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yep, Therea are awesome! I already have the three species available in the hobby, someboy needs to go get more! :p

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Nice! I was looking into getting some dominos or ?s as my first roach, but ended up ordering a G. oblongonata who just arrived today. Peter Clausen (whom I ordered him from) described him as "a monster male". Would this be an okay topic to share him in? Don't want to "steal thunder" or anything.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep, Therea are awesome! I already have the three species available in the hobby, someboy needs to go get more! :p
I've heard rumblings that a fourth has made it to the US, but since they're Therea it may be a while before the hobby really sees it. I also can't verify it since it's only hearsay.

Nice! I was looking into getting some dominos or ?s as my first roach, but ended up ordering a G. oblongonata who just arrived today. Peter Clausen (whom I ordered him from) described him as "a monster male". Would this be an okay topic to share him in? Don't want to "steal thunder" or anything.
Another fun species! If you're worried about it (especially if you want to post pics, etc.) feel free to start a new thread. Otherwise, I think it would be fine here, depending on how the OP feels about it.

SilverTycho

Arachnosquire
Sure! Share a pic!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Handsome. Shame to be feeders -- seems like 'pets' in their own rights. Congrats on find!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I've heard rumblings that a fourth has made it to the US, but since they're Therea it may be a while before the hobby really sees it. I also can't verify it since it's only hearsay.
Really? Where do these rumblings come from? Any speculation as to what the particular species may be?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
This is correct. Not that that needs my re-assurance given how someone named Hisserdude is way more likely to know his stuff than a newbie like me, lol.
Ironically, I don't actually keep hissers anymore! :p I used to keep adult males as pets, they were my introduction into the invertebrate hobby, them and my rose hair tarantula. I've been meaning to get some more and try to breed them, but other species keep getting in the way! ;)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Really? Where do these rumblings come from? Any speculation as to what the particular species may be?
A couple people that mainly keep spiders but have some nice European connections. Not sure they have the paperwork for roaches though, so it could easily fall through if they try it. And the species would likely be T. bernhardti I think since that's the only other Therea that I know is in the hobby anywhere, though some people in Europe may have some other species I just haven't seen yet.

Ironically, I don't actually keep hissers anymore! :p I used to keep adult males as pets, they were my introduction into the invertebrate hobby, them and my rose hair tarantula. I've been meaning to get some more and try to breed them, but other species keep getting in the way! ;)
Those darn other species ;) And I know exactly how you feel lol. Been meaning to do more with hissers but I've been having way to much fun with my ever shrinking invert space.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
A couple people that mainly keep spiders but have some nice European connections. Not sure they have the paperwork for roaches though, so it could easily fall through if they try it. And the species would likely be T. bernhardti I think since that's the only other Therea that I know is in the hobby anywhere, though some people in Europe may have some other species I just haven't seen yet.

Those darn other species ;) And I know exactly how you feel lol. Been meaning to do more with hissers but I've been having way to much fun with my ever shrinking invert space.
capecodroaches.com sells roaches labeled as "black underwing domino roaches" which have the binomial name Therea bernhardti, but they look just like T. peterivana. I believe cape cod roaches is USA based, but it wasn't really clear in their terms and conditions. Has anyone ever ordered from this dealer? I want to see just how different this new species is.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well T.bernhardti is probably what we already have in the hobby, I should check the underwings of my T.petiveriana and see if they are black. I have seen one other Therea species in culture on this site: http://www.karaczany.terrarium.pl/therea-sp I was hoping that was what you were talking about. That species looks kinda like a cross between T.petiveriana and T.olegrandjeani!

Capecod roaches is based in America I believe, and they have pretty good feedback as far as I know.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
capecodroaches.com sells roaches labeled as "black underwing domino roaches" which have the binomial name Therea bernhardti, but they look just like T. peterivana. I believe cape cod roaches is USA based, but it wasn't really clear in their terms and conditions. Has anyone ever ordered from this dealer? I want to see just how different this new species is.
Huh, guess I missed that one then lol. I think I was just assuming it was T. petiveriana when I saw "domino roach". I'd be curious to see what species it is. He seems like a pretty good guy. I've done a couple deals with him and been quite happy, but my old roommate bought some roaches and they arrived mostly DOA twice so he just gave up and got a refund.

Well T.bernhardti is probably what we already have in the hobby, I should check the underwings of my T.petiveriana and see if they are black. I have seen one other Therea species in culture on this site: http://www.karaczany.terrarium.pl/therea-sp I was hoping that was what you were talking about. That species looks kinda like a cross between T.petiveriana and T.olegrandjeani!

Capecod roaches is based in America I believe, and they have pretty good feedback as far as I know.
I'll be checking mine later after work to see too. Whoa, that's a neat looking species!

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Huh, guess I missed that one then lol. I think I was just assuming it was T. petiveriana when I saw "domino roach". I'd be curious to see what species it is. He seems like a pretty good guy. I've done a couple deals with him and been quite happy, but my old roommate bought some roaches and they arrived mostly DOA twice so he just gave up and got a refund.

I'll be checking mine later after work to see too. Whoa, that's a neat looking species!
Elytra and antenna posted another image on roachforum.com of an individual that he claims to be T. peterivana. I'm not so sure, because you don't see that amount of variation between individuals in that species.