New pede ID - help needed

CZG

Arachnopeon
:? Hello all,
Its grate to be back to the board after 3 years of absence. I wonder if anyone can help me identify a pede I recently received from a friend. I am sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. The creature is about 5 cm long. It any details of its anatomy not clearly showing on the photos are needed, I will try to do my best to photograph thaws.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
edit:
argh, got my wires crossed... i thought it looked like something, but it didn't

know where it came from?

that thing is absolutely beautiful!!!

try to take as detailed a picture of it's last two legs (the big ones)
there are spines and details on there to help ID it

edit:

also of the antenna... some of the segments are rough and some are smooth, that's another characteristic that is used to ID

edit:

also, get another pic from the same angle as the second one, but zoomed in more on the head area

edit:
if it's USA north american my guess would be Hemiscolopendra marginata... but i sort of think it's not USA north american

Last edited:

CZG

Arachnopeon
Thank you, I will do my best

Thank you, I will do my best to try and make the relevant photos. You are right, it has nothing to do with North America, it is from Israel.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you say pink and blue centipede?!?! Wow!!!! I want to know what it is too!!!!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
omg!

i thought that was from Isreal!

check this thread out, it's partly in german though, i think

http://forum.scolopendra.de/viewtopic.php?t=632

you might be in luck :)

Steven is one of the most knowledgable centipede people on here and i think he is trying to ID that species!

his doesn't have that solid blue bar... check the link out for a pic!

oh yeah, Steven = toxognatha on the german board

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I'm currently on the search for this article:

Negrea, S. 1997. On the Scolopendromorpha (Chilopoda) of Israel and
adjoining areas. Israel Journal of Zoology, 43:279-294

so if anyone has acces to this article,.. please share ;)

Israël has some very intresting centipede-fauna,...
I'm aware of the specie of scolopendra,.. only not the many other genus of scolopendrid centipedes of that area (the one you got is not a scolopendra for sure, but i won't place a guess on what specie or genus it is,.. untill i got the article :) )

CZG

Arachnopeon
Steven, thanks

That last picture is probably of an animal I gave to a friend of mine about 8 month ago (I think I got that photo from him). I kept it for over a year before giving it away, and later was told that the creature died shortly after he received it, but not before arousing some interest here on the forum. So, thins I got another one and meanwhile lost contact with the guy due to some rather unfortunate circumstances, decided to try and find out what is it here on the forum. I can try to get that paper for you (shouldn’t be too difficult). Please e-mail me your address to which you want me to snail-mail the paper.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@ CZG

based on what i can see on the pictures,...
my guess would be
Cryptops kosswigi (Chamberlin 1952)

If you can check if the centipede has indeed no ocelli present on its headplate and the 1st tergite doesn't show any "grooves",
i'm quite sure that's the one :)