New P. Metallica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
While I don't like an unexpected wild spider crawling on my arm, I'm not terrified by it by any means. However since I've been studying Ts and slings, I find that they don't freak me out.
This is me. I have learned to deliberately 'freeze' if I feel something on me instead of flinging/knocking at it. I get a lot of mosquito bites that way. But my new mantra is to 'do no harm' and assess before reacting. It took a LONG time to learn this. And it still takes me a second to remember to freeze & assess before reacting. And I admit, I could 'forget' one day. Instinct can win over reasoned logic. :(

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Also I don't know if anyone has reccomended this but go but the tarantula keepers handbook.
Not really a good book to recommend these days unfortunately. Besides some poor care advice (keeping tarantulas as dry as possible, keeping Avics without substrate, etc), the TKG is very pro-handling. There's too many outdated things in it for it to be relevant in today's hobby.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
True but it does cover basic anatomy and lots of questions asked by new-comers. I can see what you mean about outdated tho.

Is there a new book you'd recommend Poec?

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as has been stated a thousand times over but pokies are not an easy T to take care of, hell no old world is easy for a newbie. That being said the biggest thing that you will have to look for with them especially as they age is their speed, its ungodly and will surprise you the first time it bolts out of the cage. It is some that no amount of home work taught me to be prepared for.

to give you an example, I studied for about 2 months to keep Stromatapelma calceatum, a species of old world tarantula that I know makes many experienced keepers pause. Not only because of its speed, but also because of its venom and temperament. well I felt I was ready, I asked a few people who had kept them and did everything to prepare myself outside of actually keeping one. Thus I made the purchase, bought my first of the species and things were going for the first few molts. it got to the size of a fifty cent piece (US currency) and it came time to rehouse the poor boy. welp immediately i got threat poses so i gave it an hour or two to "calm". Tried again to rehouse the spider and had it teleport up my 10" tongs, go up my arm and before I knew it, it had stopped on my forehead. Needless to say the speed startled the hell out of me, and I had kept pokies and Taps, before this one, so i was "prepared" or at least so i thought.

Now that may seem silly to post and share, but my point is that while i didnt get bite by him or have him escape. Even doing my homework i wasnt prepared for the animal. That being said I dont want to sound like I'm saying "go ahead and keep it" but you have already made the choice to keep the animal. In this situation i would suggest finding out where the local reptile shows are and go just to meet the various arachnid breeders and ask them their experiences. You can still keep the animal and have it live well but you need to be careful and dont do anything to foolish.

P. metallica is not an animal you can handle, and dont believe the videos that say you can handle them, those people just havent been bit yet.

Tl:DR talk to people with first hand knowledge in person, and be careful they are living animals that no matter how much you read they can still do things that you will never be prepared for without lots of experiance.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
True but it does cover basic anatomy and lots of questions asked by new-comers. I can see what you mean about outdated tho.

People buy tarantula books for species and care info, anatomy's incidental. They want to know the specific needs of their spider(s), and in many cases how to breed them. Since the huge influx of new tropical species occurred when Stan was selling off his collection (mid 2000's), he never had a chance to own most of what's on dealer pricelists today. The hobby's changed tremendously in the past decade.

Although I haven't read it in a while, a friend of mine wrote a book on tarantulas worth checking out, Sam Marshall, who's a professional arachnologist and son of the late actor E G Marshall. Not sure what Sam's up to lately, but he had spent time in Guyana working with T blondi, and that is in the book (written by someone else) "The Tarantula Scientist."

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Isn't TKG due to release an updated version more in tempo with today's hobby?
Yes, Stan's working on it. I strongly advised him to talk to as many of today's big collectors and breeders as he could before completing the final TKG, so that it could be up-to-date with the multitude of changes that have occurred since he was keeping spiders. I'm hoping this edition sets a standard for care books, for other authors to emulate. He's a smart guy, has a true passion for spiders, and has a great writing style. Stan's certainly capable of hitting a home run with this one.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
to give you an example, I studied for about 2 months to keep Stromatopelma calceatum, a species of old world tarantula that I know makes many experienced keepers pause. Not only because of its speed, but also because of its venom and temperament. well I felt I was ready, I asked a few people who had kept them and did everything to prepare myself outside of actually keeping one. Thus I made the purchase, bought my first of the species and things were going for the first few molts. it got to the size of a fifty cent piece (US currency) and it came time to rehouse the poor boy. welp immediately i got threat poses so i gave it an hour or two to "calm". Tried again to rehouse the spider and had it teleport up my 10" tongs, go up my arm and before I knew it, it had stopped on my forehead. Needless to say the speed startled the hell out of me, and I had kept pokies and Taps, before this one, so i was "prepared" or at least so i thought.
Here's my Stromatopelma story: Last year I had 14 Stromatopelma, each in 32 oz deli cups. They started off as slings and soon were were up to 3". I didn't relish the idea of having to reach down in the cups with forceps to do routine maintenance (picking up water bowls and boluses), not knowing if they'd zip up my arm. Nor did I look forward to rehousing them, but I knew they had to come out.

So one by one, I used forceps to carefully remove the water bowl and cork bark so they wouldn't tumble around. Then I put an empty 32 oz deli on top of it, the open ends touching, with my hand holding them snuggly together. I then tilted the top (empty) cup so there was a slight gap, and put an 8" lollipop stick thru that, so I could gently prod the spider out of it's retreat and cup, into the empty one. Once it was at the far end of the empty cup, I slid a lid across the bottom and snapped it shut. As I got them in the cups, I used a flashlight to vent sex them. Phase one completed.

I had 14 plastic storage containers set up with moderate ventilation, slightly moist top soil, cork slab leaning against the side (their new retreat), plastic plants, and a 1 oz water bowl (soufflé cup, bought by the sleeve). I slid the tops back a few inches, and positioned a deli cup (with a calceatum inside) angled steeply like I was 'pouring' it into the cage. This limited the options on where the spider could go. I took off the lid and used the lollipop stick to softly touch the spider's back legs. The harder the touch, the bigger reaction you're going to get. As they walked/ran into the new cage, I slid the top closed. Some dove under the cork slab, some zipped around the cage, but once the lid's on, it doesn't matter. One of the keys is that there's no gaps at the far end of the lid, as you don't want the spider to go in the new cage on one side, and instantly run out the other end. Phase two completed. I was relieved, I don't mind telling you, and I've had tarantulas for decades.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's my Stromatopelma story: Last year I had 14 Stromatopelma, each in 32 oz deli cups. They started off as slings and soon were were up to 3". I didn't relish the idea of having to reach down in the cups with forceps to do routine maintenance (picking up water bowls and boluses), not knowing if they'd zip up my arm. Nor did I look forward to rehousing them, but I knew they had to come out.

So one by one, I used forceps to carefully remove the water bowl and cork bark so they wouldn't tumble around. Then I put an empty 32 oz deli on top of it, the open ends touching, with my hand holding them snuggly together. I then tilted the top (empty) cup so there was a slight gap, and put an 8" lollipop stick thru that, so I could gently prod the spider out of it's retreat and cup, into the empty one. Once it was at the far end of the empty cup, I slid a lid across the bottom and snapped it shut. As I got them in the cups, I used a flashlight to vent sex them. Phase one completed.

I had 14 plastic storage containers set up with moderate ventilation, slightly moist top soil, cork slab leaning against the side (their new retreat), plastic plants, and a 1 oz water bowl (soufflé cup, bought by the sleeve). I slid the tops back a few inches, and positioned a deli cup (with a calceatum inside) angled steeply like I was 'pouring' it into the cage. This limited the options on where the spider could go. I took off the lid and used the lollipop stick to softly touch the spider's back legs. The harder the touch, the bigger reaction you're going to get. As they walked/ran into the new cage, I slid the top closed. Some dove under the cork slab, some zipped around the cage, but once the lid's on, it doesn't matter. One of the keys is that there's no gaps at the far end of the lid, as you don't want the spider to go in the new cage on one side, and instantly run out the other end. Phase two completed. I was relieved, I don't mind telling you, and I've had tarantulas for decades.
Definitely a good thing to share and close to what I do now with my two. Though honestly despite, their reputation and temper I do love this little beauties.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hello all!

Well I've been arachnophobic all my life, but some reason fell in love in a few different T species. I know most will say not a good idea, but my first T is a p. metallica, a 1" sling possibly a little bigger. I got it Monday. I put it in it's enclosure/vial (it's a glass spice vial from the dollar store with perfect little vents on top not big enough for the sling to get out). The substrate is orchid bark.
I gave it a few days to settle in and then fed it yesterday. It seemed like it was playing with the cricket for a while but then I saw it grab it and had it under its fangs. Question, if the T has it there for at least five minutes, is it safe to assume that he will finish the meal? Or do they ever decide not to? Also, what does a bolus look like? I have a feeling that I won't be able to tell what a bolus is. Today with tongs I took out another old cricket that died in their and it kinda smeared the glass...do I have to clean that now or can I wait a while until I clean the vial (hopefully a while from now?). I just am being very safe about everything. (I wear thick vinyl gloves any time I open the vial to feed cricket or remove one. I am planning on feeding it one cricket it's body size twice a week. I mist a little bit every few days. I want the humidity high but I don't want the substrate wet.
I know I'm taking a lot on with such a species and being a sling but I had to take the plunge because of the price. I don't even care if it's male...they are just so marvelous.
Thanks for reading.

Z
first of all, bad idea. why did you get it when you knew it was a bad idea? boggles me really. glass is not my favorite for sure. plastic deli cups are my fav for arboreal slings. i would recommend a 16oz deli cup for yours. some cross ventilation, peat moss or coco fiber for substrate, water dish. keep it moist but not soaked. temps 70-80 at all times. with temps higher in the day and lower at night. its ok if it drops into the high 60s at night. about 2" of substrate to allow burrowing. some stuff for it to climb on and hide behind. thats EXACTLY how i would keep it. BUT, i would recommend selling it or trading it for a better beginner T. keepers with experience would take it off your hands and give you a far better beginner T for it.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
So here is an idea. I'm not sure if anyone else said this as I did not read the whole thread and feel free to hate on this. Slings in general do not necessarily reflect the kind of attitude they will grow to acquire as adults. I would say you have about a Year to gain as much experience as possible. My idea is for you to get your hands on a psalmopoeus species. Ann adult would be the best option if you can find one because it is already grown and has devolved it's individual attitude. Even though you basically only have a year, getting a sub-adult/adult psalmopoeus will better prepare you for what is to come when your P. metallica sling grows up.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
The idea is not to have beginners start with advanced or intermediate species. Start with an avicularia to tie down your husbandry and get over your"fear". Please don't go tossing other intermediate species at a beginner...

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
The idea is not to have beginners start with advanced or intermediate species. Start with an avicularia to tie down your husbandry and get over your"fear". Please don't go tossing other intermediate species at a beginner...
I'm simply trying to offer a possible solution. I'm not trying to shove a psalmo in his face. I have to agree with you though. Even the calmest of Psalmos are to advanced for a beginner.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
The concept is sound, but I agree with Tfisher...a Psalmo is still too much for a beginner. I know I wouldn't have been able to handle one when I first started; been in the hobby coming up on a year and I'm just now planning on getting a P. cambridgei or irminia in the near future. An adult/sub-adult Avic might not be a bad idea, though usually starting out with an arboreal isn't a great plan, but that ship has sorta sailed here.

Zach T

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I'm the originator of this thread. I have read all the posts and I appreciate all those wanting to give me advice. My p. metallica is eating twice a week and I've had it for two weeks now. Just recently when I picked up the vial to look at it, it started to run around its enclosure and branch at a tremendous speed! It had never done that before but it sure is fast, and I know some of you had told me of its tremendous speed.
Yesterday I put a cricket in its enclosure and it seemed totally uninterested in it. I then started worrying about leaving it in there so hours later I took my big long tongs and tried to get the cricket. The cricket started moving around and at this point, T striked on it and got it.
Today T is on the branch and the abdomen is as fat as I've seen it and it has a shiny tone to it. Premolt? First molt in my care is a big deal and I'm excited and nervous about it. Once it's over I'll feel better.

Z

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Maybe premolt, maybe just full :) generally, but not always, they will stop eating shortly before molting.

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
I'm just gonna give my opinion from someone who almost made the mistake of jumping into something even more advanced (h. mac) as my 3rd tarantula.

Don't jump into old worlds right away if you want to get into them eventually. Get a psalmo first. That's what I did and they're a lot of fun to work with and extremely pretty.

Obviously you already have one but just be prepared for teleports and running up tongs.

You said you feel like you made a mistake joining these forums, trust me i know what you mean

People are extremely passionate in this hobby and only have the best interest of the animals at heart. It does get rather tiresome whenever someone asks for advice for X animal, and people have to throw in their own opinions as to which animal you SHOULD/SHOULD'VE gotten, but these people have years of experience and you should at least think about what they have to say.

Mossae

Arachnopeon
My second species after G. rosea was Poecilotheria pederseni(currently vitatta?). Just be careful when working with them, i've found slings rather easy to raise.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My second species after G. rosea was Poecilotheria pederseni(currently vitatta?). Just be careful when working with them, i've found slings rather easy to raise.
adults are ten times harder than slings. Don't think you've seen all the species has to offer when you have a 2 inch sling.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hello all,

I'm the originator of this thread. I have read all the posts and I appreciate all those wanting to give me advice. My p. metallica is eating twice a week and I've had it for two weeks now. Just recently when I picked up the vial to look at it, it started to run around its enclosure and branch at a tremendous speed! It had never done that before but it sure is fast, and I know some of you had told me of its tremendous speed.
Yesterday I put a cricket in its enclosure and it seemed totally uninterested in it. I then started worrying about leaving it in there so hours later I took my big long tongs and tried to get the cricket. The cricket started moving around and at this point, T striked on it and got it.
Today T is on the branch and the abdomen is as fat as I've seen it and it has a shiny tone to it. Premolt? First molt in my care is a big deal and I'm excited and nervous about it. Once it's over I'll feel better.

Z
Could we see a pic of the cage? Or pm me a pic? Just interested. Probably not premolt, pokie slings eat like beasts when it's in premolt it will stop taking prey. I remember my first molt, very exciting stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.