1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner with seriously damaged Scorpion!

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by ScorpionUser35, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ScorpionUser35

ScorpionUser35 Arachnopeon

Oregon
    Advertisement
    I recently bought my first scorpion that being an emperor scorpion. He is a juvenile and have had him for about ~3 weeks and i monitor his temp/humidity and he has eaten mostly crickets (hasn't eaten in about 4-5 days though). Anyways while feeding him I usually just remove his hide and offer food and he takes it then I carefully place the hide back in. This time however he turned down his food so I proceed to place the hide back on and he suddenly jolted and I accidentally crushed him. I didn't even realize till probably 1-2 hours later when I noticed he wasn't roaming his surroundings like he usually does at night. The back part of his abdomen looked weak and hollow and the front was more prominent and his tail was flat. I really thought he was dead. I went to dispose of him but he started moving. Since then (~30 mins ago) his body looks better and he can lift his tail if I touch him but he is still mostly unresponsive and not moving. I'm a new owner and made a terrible mistake and I've sat here the last 30 minutes feeling really bad and guilty and just need some advice and any experience with this. I'm thinking I wait it out a day or two to see if he survives but if he dies I might really consider not getting another it was a terrible rookie mistake but I wouldn't want to endanger another one of these awesome creatures. Sorry for the long post just really need some advice at the moment.

2. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

You are not supposed to lift the hide to feed a scorpion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. InvertAddiction

InvertAddiction Arachnoknight Active Member

Best way to feed a scorpion is to drop 1 or two crickets/roaches in and if they are still there the next day remove them. If the scorp is hungry it will hunt them, if not, normally they flick them away with their tails and show no interest. Crickets, especially, can seriously harm a molting scorpion since that's when it's in it's most vulnerable state....soft and chewy and mainly defenseless until it hardens. You made a rookie mistake, no one is perfect and this shouldn't stop you from getting another one. Advice, post a picture of the scorpion, take this as a learning experience of what NOT to do in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. arachnoxious

arachnoxious arachnovelist Arachnosupporter

It's a learning experience and there is not much you can do. Stop touching him and let him work it out on his own. Continuing to see if he's alive like that will likely only stress him out and will reduce the chances he survives. Leave the scorp to be and let him do his own thing. As long as the hide was not extremely heavy then he might be okay and shocked if anything. They are really good at squirming in between rocks but if you aggressively put the hide back into the cage then it might've crushed him badly. If the cocofiber you have is deep and you softly put down a lightweight hide you might've just shocked him and pushed him into the cocofiber. There's a lot of possibilities. Since he is still a juvenile he could always detach or lose certain limbs if necessary and grow them back in a molt or two but any internal damage might be fatal. So just sit back and take a breathe and give him the time he needs to recover. Good luck with everything and let me know how it turns out :headphone::angelic:

5. Chris WT

Chris WT Arachnosquire

Pics are mandatory if you want a damage assessment

6. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnopeon

UK
    As others have said it's a learning curve, however for now just leave well alone for the scorpion to recover - do not be tempted to keep checking - leave well alone, turning the heating up a few degrees may aid recovery.