New owner with concern. Seeking advice.

Bilbo

Arachnopeon
I have a pink toe we just purchased about 3 days ago. He has been acting normal (assuming) but today he has gotten 2 crickets and both times while he's been eating he's got his back legs on the glass and face first in the substrate. It looks like he fell face first(although I know he didnt) and is just laying there. I'm wondering if I'm worrying over nothing or if something serious is going on.

Corcor

Arachnopeon
Seems weird, but your t will basically eat however he/she wants to...even if it looks really weird and uncomfortable to the rest of the world. I would just be happy that it has settled in so quickly and is eating.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
My Avicularia did something similar when I got him home from the pet shop. He was an impulse buy, because they had him in a soaking wet terrestrial enclosure. No hide. No bark. Nothing. I honestly think it was used to drinking water straight from the substrate. I have it on basically dry sub other then the few drops of water the plants get every 10 days. He now uses his two water dishes. One on the sub and one suction cupped about 3/4 up the enclosure behind the bark.

It was weird when I had him at first. He would go to the bottom of the enclosure and press his mouth to the substrate. I finally lured him to the water dish by sprinkling some water on the substrate next to the dish. He finally found the dish that way.

Bilbo

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies. If it does it again I will post a picture. But it's done eating and walking around normal. I feel better about it now.

cold blood

Staff member
If it does it again I will post a picture.
Picture is unrelated to the observed behavior (which isn't a real concern btw:))

Pics will help a new owner be assured that the set up is as good as it could be. Its not that we don't think you did, or could have set it up right, people here have just seen too many issues and just a quick look at the enclosure from the beginning could have solved nearly every problem....so we are all very eager to help new t owners, especially new Avic keepers.