New owner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Wow i`ve really opened a can of worms huh? is this coz im from England or im a noob T owner whose gonna own up first ? lol!
It's because our regulars have hashed out the "handling" controversy dozens of times. The repetition frustrates them, and as a result some are less tactful than they could be.

Unlike other pets, tarantulas do not enjoy being handled. At best, they may tolerate being handled. However, their temperament can change over time, and being wild animals, their behavior can be unpredictable.

Most of us recommend not handling due to the potential for escape or injury. If you decide to handle anyway, it is best to limit the frequency of handling and never to do so more than a few inches above a soft surface.

but lets face it as you say that cannot talk so how
do you know she/they don`t like it?
Tarantulas simply lack the neurological hardware to bond with you or derive enjoyment from being handled. To a tarantula, anything that is too big to eat is either a potential predator or "furniture."

Tarantulas are generally considered to be more of an ornamental pet (like fish) than a pet that you play with or cuddle. If you want a small hairy animal you can handle regularly, get a pair of rats.

I do not understandwhy you people are so certain i`m gonna drop her!
You don't have to be clumsy to hurt her. If something spooks her, she may walk or jump off. If she bites you, you may reflexively fling her to her death.

Bizzarrini

Arachnopeon
Be careful handling grammastola species, they can have mood swings at random. Make sure you don't get too comfortable using your hands, initially use a prod to check her mood. Also like others said make sure you handle very close to the ground, preferably putting the enclosure on the ground first before you get her out. Good luck with your keeping.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I can`t get a snake i can`t kill other creatures to feed it ...it breaks my heart :)
I had 3 Florida blue garter snakes but luckily they ate frozen whitebait fish...
I promise if i hold my Moonie it`s always close to the ground etc..i am very aware how delicate she is...
I don`t have a scooby do what a scolopendra polymorpha is...i shall Google it thank you....
You don’t need to feed live just get frozen and don’t you need to feed your T live crickets???

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
I am not a child Ken i understand the concept of sarcasrm...no explanation needed!
Audacity?what are you going on about?
What do you mean a spider teleports?Am i in some other crazy dimesion?
Please refrain from callin me names? Ignorant selfish? You have zero right to call me those things..
I asked a couple of bloody questions dude chill out!

Ty Busso i will! x

You don’t need to feed live just get frozen and don’t you need to feed your T live crickets???
My pet shop only does live :(

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I am not a child Ken i understand the concept of sarcasrm...no explanation needed!
Please refrain from callin me names? Ignorant selfish? You have zero right to call me those things..

Ty Busso i will! x

My pet shop only does live :(
You could always order frozen.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Just a saying we have to describe how fast certain species move. Personally I wouldn't exactly call a Grammostola species a teleporter, especially when compared to other old world species, but if they get scared they can really get a move on, even the slower species. You really don't get a true sense of how fast they can move until you've seen them do it. I had a sling bolt while I was rehousing it once and I never thought the pitter patter of little feet could be so menacing. Thankfully I was rehousing it in a larger tub so it got to the edge of the container and stopped, but it sounded like hail while it was running.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Nothing to do with being a child or not. Some people struggle with sarcasm. Many read this, not just you and I wanted to be sure.
Additionally, you seem to struggle to pick up what I'm putting down, so I have every reason to explain things in detail to prevent misunderstandings.

My post explained this. At this point I get the feeling you don't want to understand my posts.

The term 'teleporting' is used in jest to describe how incredibly fast spiders can be.
In fact, every tarantula species can be so fast your brain will have no chance to react until it is too late. Hence: Teleporting.

Pointing out the severe level of ignorance you portrayed and that you act 100% selfish by handling your tarantula is not 'calling you names'.
Just stop this petty appeal to emotion already. It isn't constructive. What next? "I'm offended"? Go on, make my day.

Also, I will happily ignore all these attempts as long as you call me Ken, dude, sweetheart among other casual hints and implications, while complaining about me being condescending.
If irony would hurt, the screams would echo in eternity.

Again, this isn't about you (or me), it is about spiders.

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Ken...just stop....you are so obviously some 70 odd year old retired English teacher
or something...so fustrated with life you have to condesend people you think
have a lower intelligence...not happening mate :)
Belittle me all you like..i take points & have read every informative thing you have tried
to teach me.....thank you for that...
P.s i assumed your name was Ken i bet it is so why mention it....seriously :/
Oh why am i here again...oh yes i own a spider...

cold blood

Staff member
Not one single person who has ever dropped, been tagged by or had a t escape when handling thought it was going to happen to them.....In fact they pretty much all at the time had the same "I'm not stupid, I'm not going to drop it" attitude about it. Accidents happen, and no one ever thinks it will happen to them...until it does.....if it was something they expected, they wouldn't have done it in the first place....confidence is good...false confidence is hugely detrimental....and the cause of most accidents. The best way to avoid accidents, is to not put yourself in the position to ever have one. Just sayin'

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Ken...just stop....you are so obviously some 70 odd year old retired English teacher
Belittle me all you like..i take points & have read every informative thing you have tried
Arguments are one thing but insulting people is another get your act together your a grownup for crying out loud

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Scroll over sweetie..he has called me names....i have not called him anything insulting...
My God why did i even bother?

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Assumptions out of thin air rarely lead to anything useful, as we can see.
Actually, I am a 33 year old German, male, and I enjoy life quite a lot right now due to certain favorable circumstances that spice things up.
I do not teach English, but would actually like to, love the Language and teaching, which I did in the Army, if you care to know.
My professional background however, is pre-clinical medicine.

Close but no cigar.

Now, in case you'd ever stop throwing stones around while sitting in a house made of fine British glass, you may find the time to focus on my points, rather than my person.
Last but not least, I never said or even implied your intelligence is, in whatever form, inferior or insufficient. I solely commented on you being ill-informed and ignorant about this very topic, an observation you supported extraordinarily well, I must say.

There was no intention on my behalf to belittle you. As a matter of fact, I am very indifferent about you.
Your spider, however, I kinda care for. Hence I did my best to let you know you're on a dark path when it comes to this hobby.
While you continue to try your best to make this personal, it never was and never should be.

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Seriously feel im getting <edit> just coz im British is
Assumptions out of thin air rarely lead to anything useful, as we can see.
Actually, I am a 33 year old German, male, and I enjoy life quite a lot right now due to certain favorable circumstances that spice things up.
I do not teach English, but would actually like to, love the Language and teaching, which I did in the Army, if you care to know.
My professional background however, is pre-clinical medicine.

Close but no cigar.

Now, in case you'd ever stop throwing stones around while sitting in a house made of fine British glass, you may find the time to focus on my points, rather than my person.
Last but not least, I never said or even implied your intelligence is, in whatever form, inferior or insufficient. I solely commented on you being ill-informed and ignorant about this very topic, an observation you supported extraordinarily well, I must say.

There was no intention on my behalf to belittle you. As a matter of fact, I am very indifferent about you.
Your spider, however, I kinda care for. Hence I did my best to let you know you're on a dark path when it comes to this hobby.
While you continue to try your best to make this personal, it never was and never should be.
Ok ...welll respect there my big sister was an army baby born in Germany...the father of my child thought Hitler was God...so we can talk about that all day long...However....fine British glass is derogatory i thoink you will find...i have no idea what you mean but it`s obviously intended as a critisism...
Ok i promise ...just for you i will never hold Moon ever ok?Happy now?
Do bist cool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.