1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner questions

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Moon Unit, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moon Unit

Moon Unit Arachnopeon Active Member

uk
    Advertisement
    Hi....i got my new T nearly a month ago...i`ve never had one before (she`s a Chilean Rose) she has not eaten since i got her...i presume because she may be resettling...

1st question.....i`ve put her in a new viv and a few days later she had scooped out the substrate i`d put on the floor under her wooden hidey pace completely and left webbing all over the floor around it....she`s pretty active and seems happy....but why has she done that?

2nd question.....my pet store (im in u.k) refuses to sell me any less than 100 crickets at a time and Moon hasn`t eaten yet since i got her...apart from killing them by freezing any tips of what to do with the crickets??i cannot really keep them and feed them etc cos they drive my cat wild...

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoangel Active Member

Montreal
    They will move the sub around every now and again, quite normal behavior. These are champions at fasting, they have the lowest food requirements of pretty much any species, don't worry about it not eating just yet...you got screwed big time buying one hundred crickets for one rosea though lol.

You need more spiders to help you with that. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Malo

Malo Arachnopeon Active Member

hah it's a trap! They're trying to sell you more T's to eat all the crickets!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Well, the species has about the lowest food requirement of all ts...you really only need to feed it once or maybe twice a month at most. Because of this, most are very over-fed in captivity, which leads to the rose hair's superpower...fasting. A healthy, plump adult can go a year or more without food.

Don't be in a hurry or be worried about her feeding.

Just normal, its making its home, its home.
    Go to a different pet store...this policy is just plain stupid. What, do they only sell crickets to owners of bearded dragons?

Many pet stores over there sell locusts, those work fine as well....you really just need to buy one prey item at a time to be honest.

If you can find roaches, or superworms, those are good, too...but rosies tend to be picky eaters, so yours may or may not like these options. Mine for instance, will not eat worms...and only occasionally will eat roaches.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. starnaito

starnaito Arachnosquire Active Member

My rose hair fasted 4-5 months before finally molting. I've heard of them fasting for 9 months to a year... As long as she looks healthy, don't be alarmed if she doesn't eat for long periods of time. Keep the water dish filled and try offering food every now and then, unless she's showing definite premolt signs. I've noticed mine eats less when the temperature is lower (high 60s to low 70s).

Webbing is her way of settling in and making it her own. Let her move decor and substrate as she likes, so long as she doesn't create a situation where the hide/decor isn't secure and could fall on her.

Does the pet store sell mealworms? They tend to last longer than crickets and can be stored in the fridge, and you should be able to buy them in smaller quantities. You'll need to crush their heads before feeding them to her though. And you could check for other reptile keepers in your area who might be able to use the crickets you have.

6. Moon Unit

uk
    Wow! Thank you so,so much for all your replies....
    Such interesting reading,i`m so loving learning about Tarantulas...
    Fasting?wow that is pretty amazing :) if only it worked for us girls huh ;)
    starnaito...i`m sorry but i cannot kill the crickets.......crushing mealworms heads is obviously not an option :/

i don`t like killing anything so i may struggle feeding her i guess :( I will get more crickets tomorrow if she still
    won`t touch them...i`ll try another option....
    thx guys :)

Why do you have to crush their heads if i may ask?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2018
  7. RonnyT

RonnyT Arachnosquire Active Member

Canada
    The worms will burrow if you don't crush the head.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moon Unit

uk
  9. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Arachnopeon

Crushing the head doesn't kill them, the T will do that.

If you're that squeamish then you either need to toughen up or trade in your T for a herbivore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    The head of mealworms and super worms should be crushed because they have RAVENOUS appetites and THEY WILL EAT YOUR TARANTULA, if they get the chance (generally during a molt). Really any live prey item can but the "worms" seem to be the wors. -Speaking research, not experience thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoknight Active Member

Just out of curiosity... how big is your G. rosea? You never said... maybe you could post a picture? :)

*is imagining feeding a fully grown locust to a sling" :eek::wacky::hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Moon Unit

uk
    Hi Thekla...pretty name ...here is a pic of my Moonmin...

Attached Files:

13. Malo

What are your doing with that pole??

14. Moon Unit

uk
    Why? it`s a back scratcher :)

15. Malo

It's not safe for your tarantula.

16. Moon Unit

uk
  17. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

The stance of your spider says 'i don't like it, go away'. She has her chelicerae spread and a few feet on the scratcher meaning she will strike if you continue.

Learn to never touch, prod, tickle your spider. G.rosea especially is know for its crazy moodswings, meaning it can be calm one instant and dangling from your finger the next. Do not let her slow deliberate movements fool you, she can act faster than you can react.
    The only time you engage with her should be with a catch cup or with a soft tipped paintbrush either to rehouse her or clean some debris and boli in a hard spot.

You need to crush mealworms or superworms heads because they can burrow fast out of sight, are hard to retrieve without upending the enclosure and become a threat to a molting spider due to their quite powerful jaws.

I think you can do with one locust medium size every two weeks. Or a cricket size 8 every two weeks. Retrieve locusts and crickets within 12 hours, if it's not eaten by then, she's not hungry.

Keep the waterdish topped off and don't disturb her for a few days to give her time to settle in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

That specific species doesn't eat much, and will often fast. Not really a sign to worry but try to feed maybe once every 2 weeks still. Not sure about a solution for the crickets, you can't use wild caught ones. You need to feed it some type of store bought crickets, mealworms, or roaches.

19. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire Active Member

Germany
    Time to look for another store...
    What nonsense, really.

If you don't have an alternative, either order them, or breed them yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Moon Unit

uk
    Wow...you people are so clever....thank you for that Andrea ...and everyone for your advice :)

I do handle her....she seems to like it....i have a dog,cat,3 cockatiels-so i am used to animals...i realise this is a venoumous beast and not a "pet" and will never let my gradnson handle her etc....i respect her and she has never ever shown any defensive signs to me...i put the back sctratcher on her gently..i did not `poke` her :) she climbed up it afterwards...she is a happy Moon trust me.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.