New Owner, Need Help! Unhappy Scorpion ):

Alex99

Arachnosquire
@Alex99 you need to change that substrate asap. It needs several inches of moist coco fiber or soil or similar burrowing , moisture retaining substrate.

Don't chase humidity numbers. Keep the substrate moist through and it will be fine. Cover half the lid with saran wrap like mentioned before.

It's an adult. Offer food once a week or every other week and remove it if uneaten and try again in another week.

Wall dancing is normal, especially when they're not settled in yet.

No need to over think things. The simpler the better.
Ahh thanks for your info, I've seen you comment on others post and are always very informational. Heading to Petsmart soon so I will get some coco fiber if I have a 10 gallon tank what size pack should I buy and how many inches should be set inside the tank?

Alex99

Arachnosquire
That heat gradient sounds fine. Most substrates are fine if kept moist. I've kept them comfortably on things that range from coco fibre and soil mixes to peat moss, sedge peat, eco Earth. Though they seem to prefer the soils and they hold the moisture alot better which is a bonus for the owner. Also you' be correct to assume those crickets turned into lunch if your tank has no escape for them =)
@Alex99 you need to change that substrate asap. It needs several inches of moist coco fiber or soil or similar burrowing , moisture retaining substrate.

Don't chase humidity numbers. Keep the substrate moist through and it will be fine. Cover half the lid with saran wrap like mentioned before.

It's an adult. Offer food once a week or every other week and remove it if uneaten and try again in another week.

Wall dancing is normal, especially when they're not settled in yet.

No need to over think things. The simpler the better.
I got the coco substraight and he absolutely loves it, not packed hard/firm but pressed lightly. I bought a new hide for him (The one on the Right) and he immediately fell in love with it and moved right on in. It's curved at the mouth creating total darkness compared to the other one that is open on both sides. Thanks for the help you guys. Wouldn't have a happy scorpion without you guys :)

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I got the coco substraight and he absolutely loves it, not packed hard/firm but pressed lightly. I bought a new hide for him (The one on the Right) and he immediately fell in love with it and moved right on in. It's curved at the mouth creating total darkness compared to the other one that is open on both sides. Thanks for the help you guys. Wouldn't have a happy scorpion without you guys :)
give it as much as you can, it's amazing the depth of some of the burrows they create

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
No problem! Happy to help!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You seem very informational, my very last question is should I be worried about the green stuff in his mouth ?
I don't see anything in that image. Can you take any closer images?

It might just be the insides of the chelicerae.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
I don't see anything in that image. Can you take any closer images?

It might just be the insides of the chelicerae.
it is green and it almost looks furry, it's a bright but darker green. It's been there for days now so I'm kinda getting nervous about it

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Very hard to tell really and I have no experience in seeing this before. My only guesses would be left over food or some sort of fungus. I would highly doubt that it is a fungus though as it would be elsewhere on your scorpion and in the enclosure. I'd be tempted to use a wet cotton bud and see if I could remove any of it being very careful not to harm the scorpion.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
What do you think ?[/QUOTE]
Very hard to tell really and I have no experience in seeing this before. My only guesses would be left over food or some sort of fungus. I would highly doubt that it is a fungus though as it would be elsewhere on your scorpion and in the enclosure. I'd be tempted to use a wet cotton bud and see if I could remove any of it being very careful not to harm the scorpion.
I don't think he's comfortable enough to let me do that, I'm gonna see if I can let him sort it out himself :) the only way it could be fungus is if he ate it in his old enclosure at the store. the place or atleast the lady selling me the scorpion was clueless so I wouldn't rule it out.