New Molt!

tehhusky

Arachnopeon
Hey all, my Tarantula finally molted. I wasn't sure why she was not accepting Crickets, and above her spinnerets was getting patchy in her hair, she never flicked at me once.

She is a Gramastola rosea. I finally was able to identify her sex looking at the molt. I had fallen asleep and the next morning I wake up and see her ontop of her log and a nice molt on a molt web. I belive that is what they are called, correct me if I am wrong, i'm still new at this. And before hand she was missing a leg. A week after she molted she lost her leg again. I'm not sure what it is but it seems ok. I watched her closely for a week to watch for continued bleeding but there was none.

Does anyone know why she would lose a leg? and anything I can do to prevent it next time? I feel like like I did something wrong. :(

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She could have fallen.
Grammostolas will often climb the sides of an enclosure if the substrate is even slightly moist (in an effort to escape). A fall from this height, or a leg getting stuck in a screen top, is enough to take the leg off. I would recommend never misting, just be sure to keep a waterbowl full.

tehhusky

Arachnopeon
No Mist

I don't mist, never did, I always heard that in the proper environment, a water bowl provides what is needed.

Also I when I first got her she was missing a leg