New millipede questions

biggus dickus

Arachnopeon
Hello, on a camping trip I caught 3 narceus americanus and 2 Euryurus leachii?

I have them in topsoil+leaf litter and all are looking healthy. They love cucumbers+carrots.

1)I spotted 2 of the narceus mating more than once(cuddling belly to belly). What can I expect for babies? A few more couldn't hurt, but I don't really want an army of them.

2)If the narceus have sprayed me I haven't noticed, but one of the Euryurus definitely has. It has a strong odour and itches until washed off. How poisonous are these guys?

Any common mistakes I should know about?

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
As long as you wash your hands you’re fine. The only thing I’d say is DON’T LET THEM DRY OUT, that’s probably the biggest rookie mistake.

biggus dickus

Arachnopeon
I mist every few days and pour water on one side of the terrarium. I just have an old t shirt over the tank.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I would suggest a better lid and also making sure the soil is damp, not wet; that’s something I see @mickiem telling people that all the time.

jfbynum

Arachnopeon
Depending on how deep your tank is, what it's made of, how big your millipedes are, etc., I'd say put Vaseline around the top 1/2 inch of the tank to prevent escapees (especially babies); I've learned this trick with my hissing cockroaches from my entomologist bosses. Make sure you also provide a variety of food to see what it is they generally prefer so they don't get too hungry from being picky. If they spray you with their chemically stuff then it means they're either scared or stressed, so they need a break!

biggus dickus

Arachnopeon
Depending on how deep your tank is, what it's made of, how big your millipedes are, etc., I'd say put Vaseline around the top 1/2 inch of the tank to prevent escapees (especially babies); I've learned this trick with my hissing cockroaches from my entomologist bosses. Make sure you also provide a variety of food to see what it is they generally prefer so they don't get too hungry from being picky. If they spray you with their chemically stuff then it means they're either scared or stressed, so they need a break!
I haven't spotted any climbers yet thank goodness. They like watermelon rinds, cucumbers and carrots so far but wont touch any fruit that I have tried