New Lid for Enclosure => Anti-Leg-Sticking

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Becca,

Your lids are the same design that I am using. If you are concerned your humidity is too high, drill smome more holes. I personally am going with more smaller holes, rather than fewer larger holes. The smaller holes do a better job of keeping things in/out of the enclosure.

How thick is the plxiglass you got? I originally bought 1/8 inch but am switching over to 1/4 inch. I figure the thicker plexiglass is a) stronger, so if I set anything on top of the enclosure, it won't be a problem and b) is heavier, so the T's won't be able to push it up.

Also, instead of drawing the lines on the plexiglass, I tape a piece of graph paper to the lid and use that as my drill guide.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Also, instead of drawing the lines on the plexiglass, I tape a piece of graph paper to the lid and use that as my drill guide.
Great idea! I didn't even think about that!

When I got up this morning the humidity was near 80%, so I think I'm going to drill a few more holes just in case. I don't want to stop worrying about a leg getting stuck and start worrying about mites and mold.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Your post and pics just came in the right time for me! :) I am in the process of building a few tanks myself right now - full plexi with wooden corners/edges. I was waiting for sheets of vent-plate to arrive via mail but they never came. I will have to drill the holes myself now and your pics just convinced me that it will look extremely nice (which your tank does!) once it's done. Only problem is that I am extremely tired of drilling holes at the moment because I've just finished drilling them into the lid of my newly established cockroach container (50 B. dubia wich arrived yesterday {D ). I'm tired because I drilled 3053 holes in it!! I am also quite uncertain of how MANY holes I should drill so any update on the humidity in your tank is highly appreciated beccamillot! Congrats on your nice tank lid! Nice work!

Edit: How many holes did you drill btw?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not sure exactly how many holes I drilled - they are about 3/4 inch apart or so.

I was considering making an enclosure with wood edges, but was concerned about the wood getting moist and having problems. Will your wood be touching the substrate?

I was tired of drilling last night after drilling these holes and ones in my slings new enclosures! I can't imagine drilling over 3,000!!

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My smallest setup is a deli-cup ;)

My largest setup is 60*40*40cm for my T.blondi

My middle setup is 30*30*30cm for B. smithi and Avicularia avicularia etc.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I'm not sure exactly how many holes I drilled - they are about 3/4 inch apart or so.
Ok.. well, your images give a rough estimate anyway. Please continue to give a little humidity update in a few hours or tomorrow :)

I was considering making an enclosure with wood edges, but was concerned about the wood getting moist and having problems. Will your wood be touching the substrate?
I'll hopefully not have a problem with that since I'll fasten them on the outside of the plexi using silocone and I hope to be able to isolate the wood from the inside by those means. I'll be happy to post a crude drawing of my plans any time soon (as soon as I've figured everything out for myself that is.)

I was tired of drilling last night after drilling these holes and ones in my slings new enclosures! I can't imagine drilling over 3,000!!
I can't imagine that myself ;) It took me 2 days... Never again!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think you'll have too much trouble with the humidity being high, unless your ambiant room humidity is really high in the first place. Keep the substrate dry and you shouldn't have problems. Many feel that A. seemanni prefers high humidity anyway. If the substrate never seems to dry ot, than you may need to make some alterations.

Wade

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Becca,

Your lids are the same design that I am using. If you are concerned your humidity is too high, drill smome more holes. I personally am going with more smaller holes, rather than fewer larger holes. The smaller holes do a better job of keeping things in/out of the enclosure.

How thick is the plxiglass you got? I originally bought 1/8 inch but am switching over to 1/4 inch. I figure the thicker plexiglass is a) stronger, so if I set anything on top of the enclosure, it won't be a problem and b) is heavier, so the T's won't be able to push it up.

Bec, thanks for this thread !
Wind , great idea for the thicker plexi...

*runs out to get stuff to build fabby tank top like Bec and Wind have*

ta2edpop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did you not say that they had been in there over a year w/ no problems? Judging by size I'd say that that is about a 5 1/2 gallon tank. I've done the same thing for two using a 20 gallon tank, however the humidity isn't that high. Are you using a solid glass top or is it vented? Just wondering. Nice T's. I wasn't being critial I was just wondering if that was the same tank you were referencing as the one you had used for over a year.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pharaoh2653 said:
no mold no mites no problems
Those cages are definitely too small for a terrestrial T of that size!

BTW Becca, great job on the lid, I like it. Good way to keep the humidity for those Ts that need it.

Last edited:

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The plexiglas will work but as others said, it's a hassle to drill so many holes. You could get a small air pump and tubing, then pipe a small amount of air into the cage through one of the holes in the plexiglas. For multiple cages you can "daisy-chain" the tubing to run from cage to cage. This is still extra work, however, and the real problem is the metal mesh that the manufacturers use in the cage top. The companies _should_ use the epoxy coated mesh for terrarium tops; the average lizard will get its' nails stuck in the bare mesh in the same manner as a T and cause even worse problems. I suppose you could coat the mesh with an enamel paint but then you need to worry about the fumes.

Karen N.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, the humidity is now at 80% and seems to be holding. I was really hoping for 75% or so, but I guess this'll do. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and I may end up drilling a few more holes.

Now I just need to keep an eye out for mites and/or mold.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Tomorrow *I* will have to start drilling again... I'm allready tired of it only thinking about it!!! GLAAARRGHHH *choking* :8o

You could carefully increase the number of holes by increments of 10 perhaps and see from day to day at what hum you end up the next day? After two or three drilling sessions you should be able to calculate how many you need in total to get to your desired 75%... or you just wait for it to sink naturally and just don't spray as much next time... that might actually be what you have in mind :D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Along these same lines, the one that I am trying to figure out is a side panel for an arboreal setup. My thoughts are to semi-permantly mount the plexiglass in an upright tank. I was thinking of placing two doors in the panel, one positioned at the top and the other positioned at the bottom. That would provide access into the enclosure from both ends, hopefully minimizing exposure to the T. I figure it is safest to keep your distance from a pocie. Mounting the plexiglass won't be the problem, however doing a decent job on the doors might be a challenge. I will try to post pictures once I complete the design. However, since my pocie is just a s'ling, I have some time before I require the larger enclosurer.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have used this lid method for some time. the answer is not drilling more holes, you need to let the tank dry out, then use the lid, this will result in typical humidity.

it's like a jar full of water; if you want to drain the water from the jar, you pour it out, not poke more holes in it and wait for it to evaporate.

just let the cage dry out to about 20% under what you want it,, and then when you replace the lid, it will add about 20% humidity.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
pandinus said:
i have used this lid method for some time. the answer is not drilling more holes, you need to let the tank dry out, then use the lid, this will result in typical humidity.

it's like a jar full of water; if you want to drain the water from the jar, you pour it out, not poke more holes in it and wait for it to evaporate.

just let the cage dry out to about 20% under what you want it,, and then when you replace the lid, it will add about 20% humidity.
The problem is the the cage isn't damp to begin with! I don't mist, and just have a water bowl in there.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! where do you live???

have you considered using a smaller water bowl?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
beccamillott said:
The problem is the the cage isn't damp to begin with! I don't mist, and just have a water bowl in there.
How about your substrate. What do you use? Peat moss can retain quite a bit of moisture, yet still look kind of dry. If you want to lower the humidity, let you substrate dry out a bit more.

The other question, is how many holes do you have drilled. A few articles I read about humidity suggest varying amounts of openness for the tops of tanks. It was suggested that you have about 90% of the lid closed (no holes or ventilation) for tarantulas requiring high humidty levels and 60% to 70% closed for more arid animals.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
How about your substrate. What do you use? Peat moss can retain quite a bit of moisture, yet still look kind of dry. If you want to lower the humidity, let you substrate dry out a bit more.

The other question, is how many holes do you have drilled. A few articles I read about humidity suggest varying amounts of openness for the tops of tanks. It was suggested that you have about 90% of the lid closed (no holes or ventilation) for tarantulas requiring high humidty levels and 60% to 70% closed for more arid animals.
I use peat moss and vermaculite, a little heavier on the peat moss than vermaculite.

It probably is still a little damp in there, although the T has settled in nicely and is beginning to dig.