New Latrodectus species discovered!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hmmm, I'm wondering if some of the ones I've found locally could be it then? What's the species name? Looking forward to your pics!

Ugh, so mexicanus covers both species then? What a pain that is.
You may be able to find the species I’m referring to. It doesn’t have a species name to my understanding. I’ve never even seen it mentioned in literature or with photos as being found in the US either.

Mexicanus is a pseudoscientific name that people use to refer to the apparent mactans and Hesperus color variation found in Mexico. Like I said though, I guess that there are different species since they supposedly won’t mate with each other.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Alright, looks like I have to start collecting all the non-geo I see now lol.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
@Widowman10 good to see you’re around still.
Thanks man!

This was such a great article, I very much enjoyed reading it!! And those images, are you kidding me?!

What an incredible find, and an amazing spider. Love the notes that state it was predominantly found higher up (80+ cm), and the coloration looks quite different than the others in its clade! Sounds like it's found in quite the niche habitat too, being in the sand forest. Great stuff.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Sorry if it said this in the article and I missed it, but is it known why the eggsacks are purple?