New Latrodectus species discovered!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Wonderful link, very well written paper, and admirably demonstrates the lengths the detectives have to go through to identify and describe a new species.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Soooo how long before it ends up in the hobby? I imagine there are already some people from Europe on their way down now lol.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Soooo how long before it ends up in the hobby? I imagine there are already some people from Europe on their way down now lol.
I believe it’s a protected species. It is found within a preserve. Maybe it can be found elsewhere though.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I believe it’s a protected species. It is found within a preserve. Maybe it can be found elsewhere though.
It sounds like it is by default since it's in a critically endangered habitat (sand forests) that's most likely covered by several preserves. That's definitely a plus even though it'd be a great species to have it in the hobby. Protection should absolutely come first though.

Corporal Winters

Arachnopeon
Those markings are incredible! I’d be delighted to see one of these girls in person! Thanks for sharing.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WOW Stunning looking Latrodectus! Love the pattern on abdomen, and purple eggsack!!!!

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
That awesome pattern on the females isn't enough, nature gave them purple eggsacks too? So cool! Makes me wonder what other things are out there, undiscovered.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That awesome pattern on the females isn't enough, nature gave them purple eggsacks too? So cool! Makes me wonder what other things are out there, undiscovered.
In the widow world I can guarantee there'll be some new species once someone sits down and flushes out what's going on in Central/South America. I find it hard to believe that L. mactans is the default and ranges all the way down there, though it is possible.

NYAN

Arachnoking
In the widow world I can guarantee there'll be some new species once someone sits down and flushes out what's going on in Central/South America. I find it hard to believe that L. mactans is the default and ranges all the way down there, though it is possible.
I agree. It’s also hard to believe that mactans is the species found in Cuba and the Caribbean. I also think that mexicanus is its own species since it won’t breed with regular mactans. Lastly, I think there’s 5 native US species based on what I’ve seen.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree. It’s also hard to believe that mactans is the species found in Cuba and the Caribbean. I also think that mexicanus is its own species since it won’t breed with regular mactans. Lastly, I think there’s 5 native US species based on what I’ve seen.
I feel like it has to be something different in the Caribbean and Cuba. I know widows are good at spreading and becoming established in new places (including mactans over in Japan), but that's not a catch all since there are several species that are habitat specific.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought as much about the US ones being further split. What are your thoughts on that? Splits within mactans and hesperus? I agree with mexicanus being its own species. Is it currently classified as a subspecies under mactans or hesperus? I've seen both names on vendor lists, but I admit I haven't poked around to figure out what the "correct" taxonomic scheme is,

NYAN

Arachnoking
That's interesting, I hadn't thought as much about the US ones being further split. What are your thoughts on that?
Texas has a third widow species that’s different than mactans or hesperus. The range is very limited though. I’ll have pics of it soon hopefully, very colorful.

The Mexicanus varients are just hesperus and mactans as of now. The term mexicanus is what they are sold as.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Texas has a third widow species that’s different than mactans or hesperus. The range is very limited though. I’ll have pics of it soon hopefully, very colorful.
Any idea what their range is like? I haven't heard of another widow species, but maybe I should be planning a second trip this summer.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Any idea what their range is like? I haven't heard of another widow species, but maybe I should be planning a second trip this summer.
I have a rough idea. Plan this one so I can come maybe haha.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

The Mexicanus varients are just hesperus and mactans as of now. The term mexicanus is what they are sold as.
Hmmm, I'm wondering if some of the ones I've found locally could be it then? What's the species name? Looking forward to your pics!

Ugh, so mexicanus covers both species then? What a pain that is.